Reload this Page >

TGV:Buying 90 day advance Avignion-Paris--guide me

Notices

Old May 20th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will arrrive and tour Avignion Sept13th (fly from JFK-Frankfort-Marsielle-already purchased) take TGV on Sept 15 to Paris. Cant member all the pointers given by the forum. Wish to purchase online. Know cant use USA. Would love to print tickets or receive them prior to travel. Cannot remember the most economical and easiest pathways. Appreciate a primer or direction to prior threads. Thank you.
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:12 AM

http://www.seat61.com/
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

I am on the iDTGV web site. You can purchase tickets for the trip I want probably by tomarrow for 35 euros second class and 39 for first class. the question I have is there is a ridulous supplement for bagge-- what is that about. What are the differences between iDTGV site and the scf and tvg sites. Any advantages to the iDTVG site? It is no bargain.
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:52 AM

iDTGV tickets are sold on any of the SNCF websites (except Raileurope). Sales are opened 4 to 5 months before any given travel date, prices start at 19€ and increase as tickets are sold, iDTGV tickets are non refundable, sold only on the internet, and all may be printed at home (there is a fee to have the station issue these tickets).

As for purchasing tickets for September 15th, you will not know the exact price until tomorrow when ticket sales probably open but you cannot be sure until then as iDTGV ticket availability does not operate in the same way as does other ticket sales.

If you have standard roll aboard baggage there is no supplemental baggage fee. If you are carrying a great deal of luggage including large bags (bigger than the standard 22¨), you can be assessed additional baggage fees just as airlines do.

If you believe that 39€ is too expensive for an Avignon to Paris first class ticket, I should like to point out that that same ticket for tomorrow´s train will cost 156€.

For more information:

http://www.nickbooth.id.au/Tips/FrenchTrain.htm
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:32 AM

Just to be exact, it's not 90 days out, it's exactly 3 months - which may not the the equivalent of 90 days. Not every month has 30 days.
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

there seems to an extra fee of 12 euros for purchasing each ticket on the internet which does not exist on the SCF web site. I suspect with the idTGV I can live in Connecticut USA rather than Anartica?
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Sarastro: What are the advantages of one site verusus the other: on TGV I need to live in Anaratica; suspect living in Connecticut is ok with idTGV but there seems to be this additional 12 euro billing charge. Have you ever been billed this extra fee? The price of the tickets on each site is exactly the same for Sept 13th on each site today,
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM

You shouldn't have to pay the 12€ charge, go to www.voyages-sncf.com, search prem's. Change language to English if needed and country to UK and you can print tickets. Sometimes the tiny language icon is at the very bottom of the page.

A rule of thumb, if you can get it to the train and in the end of carriage baggage bins, you won't be charged. I know of no 22" restriction. I just put a friend on the tgv to Paris this morning, she had a 24" roller. In Paris I had to use a porter once, he charged 5€ for two bags. That's an option at a few stations.

Avignon is quite new station, easy, level on-off, If I remember correctly.
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:29 AM

Just made the trip Avignon-Paris on Thur. with a 24" suitcase plus small carry on. No extra charge and nobody even around to see what I was carrying. I paid 51 euro for first class Prem b/c I got it about 2 months out, rather than 3, unfortunately.
TGV Gare in Avignon is indeed quite nice and easy.
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM

1. The 3 month ticket sales limitation, which was recently relaxed on some schedules, applies to regular ticket sales including PREMs, not to iDTGV ticket sales using the iDTGV specific website. Barring any very recent change with which I am unfamiliar, iDTGV tickets are released from 3 to 5 months before a given travel date.

2. The luggage limit currently applies to iDTGV ticket holders NOT to PREM ticket holders (as of yet). I have read stories of passengers being charged for excess baggage but I have not researched the SNCF website for details. I can say that I have not had any difficulty with my 22" suitcases. It should be noted that passengers using iDTGV trains will have their luggage and tickets verified by SNCF personnel on the quai or platform before boarding any car.

3. I am not specifically familiar with the 12€ charge but I believe you are referring to an luggage option on the iDTGV website. As long as your luggage is limited one suitcase and one handbag/briefcase, I do not believe you need pay this 12€ charge, at least I have not payed it.

4. In a very general sense, I have read that those from N. America may find that using the www.idtgv.com website is easier than using the www.tgv-europe.com website if they want iDTGV tickets. I have read reports that those from Australia are not able to use this same website as their credit cards are systematically blocked at www.idtgv.com.

In full disclosure, I must say that I always purchase tickets using my on line identity at the www.voyage-sncf.com website where I rarely have any difficulties obtaining the tickets I need.
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:05 PM

If you go to this site and fill in the form with your departure date, SNCF will send you an email the day prior to the opening of ticket sales for both TGV and iDTGV trains on that date.

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/services...te-reservation

Last year I was in the same situation as you, needing a ticket for September 15. TGV tickets actually went on sale June 15, but iDTGV tickets not until June 22. Because the prices on iDTGV for September 14 were lower than TGV PREMS, especially 1st class, I waited for the iDTGV tickets.

Here's their English language site:
http://www.idtgv.com/en/

Not sure where you are seeing a €12 charge for printing a ticket, but I don't find any mention of it on the iDTGV site when I do a test booking for September. I certainly didn't pay this when I booked last year.

About baggage - From the SNCF site (in French only):
http://tinyurl.com/bl4j64l

No mention of supplement for bags on TGV trains.
For iDTGV trains, you are allowed 2 bags plus a personal item. In excess of that, a €35 per bag charge applies, with a limit to 2 excess bags.

Be sure to advise your credit card issuer that you plan to make this purchase so they won't decline the charge.

Good luck!
Old May 20th, 2012, 12:09 PM

This worked for me last year(July travel), Avignon to Paris, for our family of 5. Purchased Prem 1st class tickets exactly 3 months ahead using TVG Europe, using country of origin as Britain (I am from USA). I felt I could have used France site, but preferred English language.Printed out the tickets. The process was very smooth. I did notify my credit card company ahead of time. Do not know if that was necessary though. I rejected idTVG as it did not seem mainstream.We had no luggage issues(nobody checked luggage size). In 1st class there was lots of luggage storage upstairs at the passenger seating level.
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:03 PM

I rejected idTVG as it did not seem mainstream.

iDTGV tickets are really a wonderful value and no one should be afraid of them. These tickets, when issued, start at 19€ each, PREMs never open below 25€. iDTGV trains are the same trains as regular TGVs and may (or may not) be physically connected with a regular TGVs. iDTGVs are not available in all markets but where they are available they offer increased savings to those who are able to book on line.
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:26 PM

We took an iDTGV from Paris to Lyon. The cars were attached to a TGV train. Our 1st class ride in the upper deck of a Zen car was great - clean, quiet and comfortable. As nice as any TGV train I have taken. When I travel by rail in France now, I look first at the iDTGV site to see if they offer the route because, as Sarastro points out, the fares are lower generally for the same level of service. Our iDTGV 1st class tickets were €26 and 2nd class TGV PREMS were €22 at that time.
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:46 PM

Nice. Thanks for all this info.
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

I believmy tickets may go on sale tomarrow thank you guys for such prompt input I take it American Express is ok to use as a credit card