Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Texas fodorites, y'all come, to a gathering! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/texas-fodorites-yall-come-to-a-gathering-91347/)

kk Oct 24th, 2000 04:55 PM

Texas fodorites, y'all come, to a gathering!

Branching off from the general fodorite meeting thread, a la the Chicago example, let me just recap what has gone on there. <BR>Richard in Plano, Pam in Austin, and Janis and I(kk) in Houston have written of wanting to get together. <BR>Richard says he will be in Houston Jan. 25-27, 2001. That will work for me and Janis (she's off to NM right now and can't speak for herself at the moment). Will others be able to come? Please advise. We can pick a time within Richard's timeframe and have a good time figuring out where to gather. Hope to hear from others, as well!

Art Oct 24th, 2000 07:31 PM

Hi KK (my first wifes nickname). If you gather a group together you might try evite.com. We are using that now and it keeps us from loading up the forum and has places for each person to add notes, accept or decline the invitation and has all notes in one location. Good luck in getting your group together. As of today I've got 18 - 20 people coming to So Cal. All I need now are chairs and hoping for good weather so we can spill outside. <BR>

pam Oct 25th, 2000 05:50 AM

KK, <BR>Any time on the 27th works for me. I couldn't get to Hou until 7:30 or so on the 26th.

pam Oct 25th, 2000 07:27 AM

Me again. If you guys like Thai food, may I suggest Nit Noi in Rice Village?

kk Oct 25th, 2000 07:33 AM

Pam, yes, I finally noticed that it is Jan. 27th that is the Saturday, so of course that's the best day for people like you who will have to travel. <BR>I like Thai and Nit Noi, so it certainly should be on the list. <BR> <BR>Richard, I think it's safe to have your wife ask to get time off. I think this will grow.

Sandy Oct 25th, 2000 12:07 PM

There are 3 of us in North Texas and I might be able to talk a few others into coming . . . but is there no choice besides Houston? <BR> <BR>We think this is a great idea!

kk Oct 25th, 2000 12:15 PM

Darned big state, our Texas! As the oldtime settlers used to say....the sun is riz, the sun is set, and we ain't outta Texas yet! (800 miles east to west and north to south) <BR>Hmmm, excuse me, my point is that of course we can go somewhere besides Houston, but if you read through these posts you know three things...Pam is willing to come to Houston from Austin, Richard will be in Houston Jan. 27 ( a Sat.) and we had no luck coming to a midpoint alternative, so far. There are three of us in/around Houston. <BR>What would your ideas be...we're game to work this out, for sure!

Richard Oct 25th, 2000 12:38 PM

I think Houston, the most cosmopolitan city in Texas, is a fitting place for travelers to meet. Austin would be O.K. but it's going to be a gloomy or raucous place after the inauguration. I vote kk be the arbiter here, she started this.

Fran Oct 25th, 2000 02:25 PM

<BR>Thinking of flying to Paris for a weekend so I've been on here alot lately and just came across these threads on meetings in Chicago, So Cal (where I'm from) and TX (live in DAllas now) I read and contribute regularly on the various, different sections. Would love to join you and am curious how you are communicating. My vote would be Austin but anywhere is fine with me.

Paige Oct 26th, 2000 01:02 AM

Hey Sandy! I graduated from UNT (when it was North Texas State) back in 87! Do you live in Denton? That's where I call 'home.' I'll be there over Christmas so if anyone wants to meet in the north, count me in!

Sandy Oct 26th, 2000 07:18 AM

Sing-ing Glory to the Green, <BR>Singing Gloring to the White, <BR>For We Know Our Un-i-ver-si-ty Is Forever in the Right, <BR>Down the Corridor of Years, <BR>We'll Remember Joys and Tears, <BR>But North Texas, North Texas, <BR>Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Love. <BR> <BR>( . . . wiping a little tear off my cheek at this point). <BR> <BR>Yep, University of North Texas, Denton, top of Golden Triangle, <BR> <BR>I vote for just about any place over Houston (please don't stone me, it's just my opinion, and yes, I've been to Houston, more times than I wanted). <BR>What about Austin? It is the capitol, it is central, it is a fun city. <BR> <BR>But, I think this will be fun wherever it's finally decided to be. <BR> <BR>How about posting this on the other forums . . . most of us travel everyplace, not just Europe (but then again, most of us read EVERY forum, so we're going to end up here, right)? <BR> <BR>Sandy <BR>Sandy

pam Oct 26th, 2000 01:57 PM

If you guys (oops, ya'll, what's HAPPENING TO ME???) are using valid email addresses, I'll harvest & do a Yahoo! Invitation. If you're not using a valid email address here, please email me directly--what's typed up above is not EXACTLY correct but I think you can figger it out.

pam Oct 26th, 2000 02:21 PM

I went ahead and sent the Yahoo Invitations. I think I remembered kk's address.... Let me know if there are others to be invited. <BR> <BR>FWIW, Richard, there are a lot of people in Austin who do not agree with the Republican presidential candidate. Austin is the most liberal place in Texas, and I think that whatever the results of the election, there will be some dancing in the streets. You'd be more likely to get beat up by someone who doesn't want light rail than a Bush or Gore supporter.

kk Oct 26th, 2000 06:17 PM

Pam, email me at [email protected]--nothing from you popped up yet.

Sandy Oct 27th, 2000 06:38 AM

Pam, <BR> <BR>I haven't received anything either . . . I sent you an email . . . I'm still lobbying for Austin! <BR> <BR>Sandy

kk Oct 27th, 2000 07:49 AM

Pam and Sandy, I did receive the yahoo invite. Thank you for setting this up. We will see what happens. I have responded and also sent the invite on to two other fodor friends of mine...one here in Houston and once in Victoria TX, which is probably equidistant from San Antonio and Houston. Austin could be an option. <BR>I vote either for Houston or Austin.

Yvonne Oct 27th, 2000 09:59 AM

We do know that the Superbowl is the 28th? I like the idea, so please add me to your list, but I won't be able to make the first annual gathering.

kk Oct 27th, 2000 11:05 AM

Yvonne, that is certainly a handy little fact to know about the Super Bowl. Thanks. (I confess to not knowing.) <BR>If we don't meet on that particular weekend, would you be able to come perhaps? What part of Texas are you in?

up Oct 28th, 2000 10:37 AM

Come on, Texans!

Ann Oct 30th, 2000 06:41 PM

Oops... so now I find the Texas thread. Sorry about that... pretend like I didn't post to the original forum thread. ANYWAY, I am in San Antonio 3-4 times a year (consider it my second, and perhaps favorite) home, so I'm definitely in there for a Texas fodorites meeting... will be driving through Houston to S.A. sometime in January, but have no definite schedule yet. Please add me to the group and I'll try to make it whenever, wherever..