Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tex-Mex food in Amsterdam? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tex-mex-food-in-amsterdam-247547/)

don Aug 9th, 2002 09:30 AM

Tex-Mex food in Amsterdam?

I've heard there's every kind of cuisine imaginable in Amsterdam. Does that include Tex-Mex? Names and locations appreciated!

try Aug 9th, 2002 10:12 AM

Why the hell would you want Tex Mex when in Amsterdam???<BR>Are you on a special diet?

trying Aug 9th, 2002 10:24 AM

Don: Don't know specifically about A'dam, but there is at least 2 Mexican restaurants in Haarlem, 15 minutes by train, near or on the Grote Markt. Or at least there was in 2000. Can't remember names, but one was actually on the square, at the church's end. The other was maybe on a block behind the church.

Not a great idea Aug 9th, 2002 10:31 AM

I would advise against it. After a 3 month tour of Europe this Southwesterner broke down an had Mexican in Dublin. BIG MISTAKE - HUGE.<BR>Go for a falafel instead.<BR>

Elizabeth Aug 9th, 2002 10:41 AM

I used to go to a place on Reguliersdwarstraat. It was fine. If I can figure out the name or address I'll tell you. It was near the Jolly HOtel and near where I used to visit someone. Maybe somebody else can name it from this (non)-information.

Uncle Sam Aug 9th, 2002 10:52 AM

Uncle Sam is from Austin, and I can tell you that after visiting 19 European countries...stick to the European stuff and wait for Tex Mex until you get home!<BR><BR>You will be disappointed big time if you try for it over there. Sort of like going to the Hard Rock and ordering BBQ ribs...do not do it!<BR><BR>US

Art Aug 9th, 2002 11:00 AM

Only if you are referring to Amsterdam, Texas. Once you leave the southwest (California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas) Mexican food gets progressively worse.

rich Aug 9th, 2002 11:01 AM

there is an excellent mexican restaurant in amsterdam. near the grand hotel you will find Margarita's Restaurant. yeah, corny name, excellent, flavorful food, ambience, the whole deal. service is slow, food is awesome. i'm a restaurant owner from arizona and i travel to eat! try the ribs, soups, stews. great stuff. we've gone to amsterdam three times in the last 2 years and wouldn't miss it. also, go to freddy's bar at the hotel d'europe, look up gert the barman. enjoy!

Bob C Aug 9th, 2002 12:09 PM

You may find a Mexican restaurant but you will not find Tex-Mex. We save that for a treat when we return to Texas after a vacation trip.

Elaine Aug 9th, 2002 12:56 PM

Forget Tex Mex, when in Amsterdam eat Indonesian food.

amsterdam Aug 9th, 2002 03:59 PM

or Italian or Greek

Elizabeth Aug 9th, 2002 05:02 PM

Okay here is the one I used to go to:<BR><BR>Rose's Cantina Reguliersdwarsstraat 38. <BR> It was near the Jolly Hotel I think (I say was because hotels change owners). And I found someone recommending it just now on an Internet search. It is thought of as (by somebody anyhow) as the best Mexican in Amsterdam.<BR><BR> I am sure it is not authentic Mexican or Tex-Mex, but it is good food of that general type, with a good margarita to go with it.<BR><BR><BR>

don Aug 9th, 2002 05:56 PM

Okay, now I'll explain. We are all for experiencing the local cuisine, BUT our son will be meeting us and lives in Africa now. He seldom gets back to the southwest US and he does miss Tex Mex. I was thinking we could have one meal as a treat for him.<BR>Thanks for the ideas...I do appreciate your help.

Sjoerd Aug 10th, 2002 01:11 AM

Not downtown, but on the road from Ouderkerk aan de Amstel to Amstelveen there is a Tex-Mex restaurant. <BR>http://www.countrycantina.nl/indexeng.html<BR>I have never been there so can't tell you if it is any good. But the restaurant has been there for many, many years.

francesca Aug 10th, 2002 04:20 AM

If tex-mex in Amsterdam is anything like tex-mex in Paris, please, save your money. It is not possible to find authentic American food outside of the US, in my humble experience (which is vast, as I eat enormous amounts of food, in and out of restaurants). <BR>I have a Cajun friend who's mom cooks up a storm, freezes it, puts it in a cooler and schleps it to Paris. It works great and she has the real stuff for months at a time. <BR>I suggest you find a real BBQ in the US and do the same on a small scale, if you have a kitchen handy to defrost and enjoy the food in Amsterdam.<BR>If not, imagine an airline called Tex-Mex Air. Now imagine what the food might be like on it: that is the quality you will get in Europe. <BR>(My two cents; you're mileage may vary)

Elizabeth Aug 10th, 2002 11:50 AM

Don--I think your plan sounds so nice!! And I myself enjoy other people's interpretations of stuff from my own culture, I think it's fun. I have no memory of the food at Rose's, and don't think it matters. It definitely has a Dutch person's version of Mexican-ness. And I imagine this is true of the other places suggested.<BR><BR> Have a wonderful visit with your son.

Terra Aug 13th, 2002 07:50 AM

Hi There<BR><BR>I am an American expat living in Amsterdam and can recommend two places for you. The first is PACIFICO on the Warmoestraat, near central station. Not usually where you find anything of taste other than the occasional kroket, this place was a real find for me. The best margarita in town (but still nothing compared to the real ones down in Texas). Very good fajitas and passable salsa. Authentic guacamole. <BR><BR>The other place is called Los Pilones, and is near Leidseplein. It is a relatively new restaurant run by a Mexican. They serve more traditional mexican food (meaning not tex-mex) there. A small/cosy place with a great atmosphere. <BR><BR>Good Luck!<BR>Terra