Terrorism threat in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a family vacation planned to Italy with our two children and are due to leave next week. I've just learned that the terrorism threat in Italy has been raised to its highest level due to the country's involvement in the Libyan war and the mass immigration in the south.

Does anyone have more information on this? I've read that security controls have been ramped up at airports, police helicopters are constantly patrolling overhead and even local Italians are avoiding mass transit.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 03:51 PM

Can you let us know where you heard this from?
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:10 PM

Dont pay attention..I never heard anything about it. I read Italians papers daily.
Besides Italy is not the only country involved in the Lybian war..So dont worry and enjoy your vacation.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:15 PM

I agree - where did you hear this? I'm going myself in May, so have been paying more attention than usual, but checked the BBC and Google and can't find anything about this. I'd be interested in hearing more about it if indeed it is happening.

Unless I hear otherwise from a reputable source, my assumption is that I'm still more likely to see a terrorist attack in my own USA than in Italy.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:22 PM

I would check out any travel warnings through the state department: www.travel.state.gov/travel to find out if there are any advisories. Then, I'd probably disregard them and go anyway.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:44 PM

I've heard nothing about it. And even so - who cares?

NYC has been on the highest level of alert constantly since 9/11. We have a significant anti-terrorism police presence in all major transit centers and other public venues as well as armed militia (yes, soldiers with rifles) at all airports and train stations.

Everyone just ignores it.

You can't let things like that control your life.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

This is where I read it - it seems to refer to a local Italian newspaper:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english201...c_13792959.htm

I'm curious if there really are helicopters constantly patrolling the skies and if the locals are truly concerned.

I'm trying not to get too concerned, but since we're bringing the kids I can't help but to worry a bit. If it was only my husband and me - it would just add to the adventure!
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:11 PM

That's a Chinese news agency - not local to Italy at all.
Old Mar 23rd, 2011, 05:17 PM

mjdh, I think ziggy meant the article referred to an Italian paper (Corriere della Sera). I'm assuming this is the Corriere article it meant:

http://www.corriere.it/editoriali/11...7a6c081d.shtml

As best Google Chrome can translate, that piece is talking about Italy having the most at risk and needing to stick together and commit to a plan to rebuild Libya. The retaliation bit is one sentence in the middle somewhere - hardly a national call for alarm.

The Chinese article has one quote from one woman avoiding public transport. You can find someone going overboard about anything and make a sound bite out of it.

ziggy, I really do appreciate your concern, especially with kids. But so far I don't think there's much to worry about. My guess is that Gaddafi is too busy trying to rein in his countrymen to worry about bombing Italy, if indeed he is capable. Avoid the subway if you want to.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 12:04 AM

China is good at many things

Journalism absolutely isn't one of them: China prevents proper reporting as efficiently as it makes clothes now or as its rulers kept its citizens impoverished for the past 400 years.

If Libya's got missiles still working, they'll be aimed at the ships and military bases attacking the country. If they're not fighting back, it's because they're not working any more.

The moral of this post: China is opposed to the action in Libya, and its ruthlessly controlled propaganda machine is doing what its masters are telling it to. China assumes that even in the allegedly sensible West, people are stupid enough to believe that propaganda.

That this poster is gullible enough to fall for it is an appalling commentary on America's pathetic educational system. How is it possible for your teachers to look at themselves in the mirror if they're churning out people so bereft of common sense?

Ziggy shouldn't be sympathised with. If she's old enough to bring children into the world, she's old enough to think for herself.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 01:09 AM

It does seem strange to pick up on a Chinese news source for information on terrorist alerts in Italy.

But in the end it's entirely your decision what to do, and you can take notice of any information source you want.

If you want to keep an eye on things before you go, I'd choose a reliable news source over the next few days and see what you find. Italian papers like La Repubblica have websites, you can run them through Google Translate if you want. It would certainly be better than anything coming out of China.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 03:40 AM

You have more a chance of being killed or hurt on the road to your local airport than by any terrorist action in Europe - stay home - do not go outdoors - chances of a meteorite killing you are higher than any threats in Italy IMO.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 04:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Terrorism" in Italy (the REAL threat):

being pickpocketed on one of those packed busses in Rome

being run down by a VESPA in Rome

being hugely disappointed when you find out the pizza isn't nearly as great as a lot of people pretend it is

Looking into that microscopic coffee cup and finding about one millimeter's worth of dark, mysterious liquid
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 06:41 AM

"You can't let things like that control your life."

Most people are killed by family members or friends. Logically therefore you should avoid all family members & friends. So going to Italy reduces your risk of dying as there are less family & friends near you.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 06:50 AM

"Most people are killed by family members or friends. Logically therefore you should avoid all family members & friends. So going to Italy reduces your risk of dying as there are less family & friends near you."

I like your attitude Alan!.....
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM

Meh....
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Ouch - you posters from England are a friendly bunch aren't ya!

Thanks to the few of you who took the time to make a polite response to my simple question.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure who the Englanders are but flanner is one of a kind and expresses his own view though from memory it's a Northern Irish one.

Ziggy I don't know where you come from but given the murder rate in US, Russia and China I'd come to Italy it's safer. See Dukey1's statements
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 11:23 AM

"Ouch - you posters from England are a friendly bunch aren't ya!"

Fear not Ziggy, Flanner does not speak for us all.
Old Mar 24th, 2011, 02:03 PM

"I like your attitude Alan!..... "

For some reason the GF gets upset when I say I need to go away by myself to reduce the chances of being killed by her