Reload this Page >

terrorism in France?

Search

terrorism in France?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 05:57 PM
usa traveler

terrorism in France?

The USA news has been talking about thwarted terrorist attempts on Amer. embassy in Paris and other american buildings in marseille, belgium...supposedly to happen sometime this year...one of the terrorists caught in europe confessed. <BR>does anyone know of this? will europe be the next target? <BR>also, where is the us embassy in paris? i figure it will be wise to avoid it, if possible.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:32 PM
barb

I too heard they had some people in for questioning on this, but they were released. The embassy is located at 2 av. Gabriel at the Concorde metro stop. In case of a problem with terrorist, etc, you should never go to the embasy unless directed to do so. They are all on high alert, and it might not be the safest place to have your picture taken. In case of emergency, go to your hotel, and call them. The hotel staff will/ has been very helpful in the past.

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:47 PM
XXXXXX

Europe has been on "high alert " for years. we are the ones who thought it would never happen here

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 06:52 PM
lori

I went to the embassy last March. Bet I can't do that as easy this time!

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 07:52 PM
can'tdoit

I bet they don't pull anything off in Marseille, Belgium!

Old Sep 26th, 2001, 11:26 PM
PB

Two men were arrested near Brussels, which led to the arrests in France. Six men are still in custody in both countries. <BR>The planned targets were the US embassy in Paris and the consulate in Marseille. <BR> <BR>"Will Europe be the next target ?" <BR>Europe has been the target for over twenty years of attempted (and some successful) terrorist attacks. The security measures here have been in force for years. The French have been providing security and protection for American companies and buildings since the 11th of September. <BR> <BR>PB

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 12:03 AM
FW

Actually, the men arrested in Paris were under surveillance by french anti-terrorism police since the 10th of september (yes, the 10th). <BR>And among the 7 suspected terrorist arrested, two were french-french citizens converted to islam, the other were algerian-french or algerians.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 12:15 AM
x

does anyone recall the efforts of terrorists from the mid-east to bomb the Metro during rush hour in the mid 1990s? their targets were non-specific,and, their presence in france is hardly new. paris is a viper's nest of those misfits.

Old Sep 27th, 2001, 06:15 AM
StCirq

Paris may have its share of potentially harmful misfits, but France has had massive and successful anti-terrorism initiatives in place for decades. For a good article on what American might have learned, and we hope will learn, from the French anti-terrorism tactics, check out Time Magazine online.

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Amedeo

There was a recent series of messages, "French anti-semitism," that is against the Zionist terrorists in Palestine, but the series seems to have disappeared. One has to read every entry under "Europe."