Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Termini Trains to Metro-how difficult? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/termini-trains-to-metro-how-difficult-686498/)

marymarathons Mar 9th, 2007 05:19 PM

Termini Trains to Metro-how difficult?

We are arriving into Rome at the Termini station. I am debating whether to walk to our apartment near the Forum or take the Metro to the Colosseum stop. I have found in other cities that getting off the train -and on the Metro is not so easy. It will be about 6-7pm when we arrive. Will we be fighting mobs of people and walking up/down lots of steps? If so, seems walking 1 1/2 miles on the street will be easier. Or will we be fighting mobs on the street too?

ecat Mar 9th, 2007 05:41 PM

It could be more trouble than it's worth you will need to go down some stairs to get to the metro, but it's not a huge drag either. How about a taxi?

rkkwan Mar 9th, 2007 05:59 PM

It's of course much easier than walking 1.5 miles on the street with luggage.

marymarathons Mar 9th, 2007 06:02 PM

Do you think walking down Via Cavour to the Forum would be a fairly pleasant walk? Wondering about how heavy pedestrain and vehicle traffic will be at 6-7pm on a Friday evening.
Considered a taxi but we are trying to stick to a budget. Would 4 of us fit in a taxi? Would a taxi cost less that the Metro for 4 persons? Thanks for the help-hard to find this find of info in a guidebook!

Rastaguytoday Mar 9th, 2007 06:05 PM

Take a Taxi.

If you've never been to your apartment or Rome before, what makes you think you can easily do it the first time, either on the Metro or walking?

Considering the distance you describe, the taxi should not be that expensive. Let the taxi driver fight the mobs while you watch the world go by.

marymarathons Mar 9th, 2007 06:05 PM

Hi rk! We're planning to travel very light so if streets are not too packed walking with a small suitcase shouldn't be too bad unless sidewalks are very crowded. I guess that is my question-how crowded are sidewalks vs crowds in the Metro.

marymarathons Mar 9th, 2007 06:08 PM

I've been studying Rome maps for 6 months in anticipation of this trip. I have no concern at all about finding my way-I'm a top notch navigator. Just wondering about crowds on the street and in Metro. Also wondering about the COST of a taxi.

rkkwan Mar 9th, 2007 06:14 PM

I don't think the sidewalks are that crowded, but they're kind of narrow and not smooth at all. You'll also be crossing like 20 side streets from Termini to the Forum.

Pulling a small 21" rollaboard from Termini to our hotel across from the Opera House (0.3mi) is about enough for me. You're talking about 5 times the distance.

kenderina Mar 9th, 2007 06:17 PM

I don't think the taxi will be much more than 6 or 7 euros. Even if it is 8..two euros per person don't seem to me a huge amount and Rome is hilly...

sjj Mar 9th, 2007 06:21 PM

Riding the Metro at that time of day with luggage would be extremely unpleasant. The walk isn't that bad if you have light luggage and you're reasonably young.
As something to do after you're settled in, consider seeing the Michaelangelo statue of Moses in the San Pietro in Vincoli church, a block or so from your apartment.

Dukey Mar 9th, 2007 06:29 PM

I suppose it is pointless to suggest that there are MANY ways for you to "stick to a budget" and that after what I suspect is a long trip that walking that far, with luggage, on uneven sidewalks, etc., is not the best way to save considering the real cost.

marymarathons Mar 9th, 2007 08:37 PM

Thanks to all of you for your perspectives on this-very helpful info!I have a much better feel for the options. Still thinking we will walk. We will have luggage which easily converts to a backpack.I'm quite comfortable carrying a 30 pound backpack for 10 miles over rugged trails. I think I can handle 1.5 miles of narrow uneven sidewalk!Good to know that the taxi is not too expensive just in case.

Rastaguytoday Mar 9th, 2007 09:02 PM

marymarathons

Bravo for your bravado. However, take a taxi.

I'm well traveled and believe in the following: walk when you have to, sit when you can, and stand when you must.

Please give us your email address and we'll all contribute 1/2 euro if your budget is that tight.

marymarathons Mar 9th, 2007 09:11 PM

LOL! OK Rastaguy-I may consider the taxi after all. I have heard that a taxi ride in Rome is an adventure in itself.

rkkwan Mar 10th, 2007 06:02 AM

I've taken the metro in Rome, I've taken a taxi, I've taken a bus. All quite unremarkable. It's really no big deal.

Samsaf Mar 10th, 2007 07:14 AM

Last week we took a taxi from Colosseum to that area; cost was 7 Euro, and it was well worth it.

ecat Mar 10th, 2007 07:32 AM

Take the taxi - it's not much more that the metro and you'll do enough walking while you're there.

One thing about the taxi , make sure it is an official taxi. You should go wait in line at an official taxi stand. At the termini do not accept offers from taxi drivers who solicit you inside.

knoxvillecouple Mar 10th, 2007 09:02 AM

MaryMarathons -

We took a taxi from Termini to our hotel on Via Cavour (Nicolas Inn a block or so from the Forum/Colosseum) for 8 € - we tipped him 2 more for the trouble of transporting not only the four of us but also two weeks worth of luggage. That's pretty inexpensive in my book.

But beware the gypsy cabbies - before we got to the head of the taxi queue for a regular taxi, we were offered the same ride for 45 €

KC

marymarathons Mar 10th, 2007 09:58 AM

rk
samsaf
eileen
knoxvillecouple

Grazie mille for the advice on taxis! We will be sure to look for the official taxi stand.

knoxvillecouple:

how difficult was it to find a taxi to fit 4 persons? we are actually a family group of 8 so we'll need 2 taxis that fit 4.

one more question-how slow is traffic at 6-7pm on a Friday. Is it rush hour grid-lock?

I still like the idea of walking but we'll see.

Rastaguytoday Mar 10th, 2007 10:22 AM

marymarathons

From my earlier post about standing, sitting and walking...

My wife 'trained' for her first trip to Europe by walking up and down 12 story building several times a day for over a month. We went to Sacre Coeur. She walked up the steps and I took the funicular, etc... to show how fit she was.

By the third day her legs and feet were killing her and she couldn't keep up with me, an overweight out of shape person, who knows hot to pace myself. The 1/2 Euro offer is still good.