Tentative trip itinerary Summer London and Edinburgh-York

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all of the help and advice for my Summer 2019 trip to England and Southern Scotland. Particular thanks to JanisJ, Gardyloo and Bilboburgler

Here’s a proposed itinerary based on my research and all of the very helpful advice I’ve received.

My wife and I will leave the U.S. late on June 20, and arrive in London on June 21. All dates below list where we will be sleeping each night. What do all of the helpful experts think of this? Any suggested changes? I can't change the London portion, the rest is up for grabs. I think that this gives us the chance to do most of the suggestions that were made. Abbeys. little villages in the Dales, Coastal Northumbria and Yorkshire, castles,etc. I may post again as we get closer. If there are any suggestions for places to stay in Bamburgh Alnwick, or Durham, let me know. I'm thinking about the Victoria Hotel in Bamburgh. I've already booked London, know where I'll be staying in Edinburgh, York, and, obviously, Tarquair House. Which still has openings on my desired days as of today.

June 21 London.

June 22 London

June 23 London

June 24 Edinburgh ( We spent 3 nights there on our last trip, so we’re spending less this time)

June 25 Edinburgh

June 26 Tarquair House

June 27 Tarquair House

June 28 Bamburgh or Alnwick? Probably Bamburgh

June 29 Bamburgh or Alnwick

June 30 Durham – Question – University graduation there in 2019 in July 2-5. Will I have a problem finding a room, and/or will it be too crowded?

July 1 Durham

July 2 York

July 3 York

July 4 York

July 5 – London late - spending night before return flight - we'd want to be at Heathrow by 9:00 AM on July 6.

July 6 noon – depart London, return to U.S.

Again, thank you all for your generous time contributions and sage advice.

Steve
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 10:20 AM

From experience I can say that finding accommodation in Durham during graduation will be difficult if not impossible. Have a look at Lumley Castle. It's only about a 15/20 minute drive to Durham and we really enjoyed our stay there.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 10:43 AM

Or, take train Durham to Sunderland - a fading seaside resort and then day trip next day to Durham. Sunderland is like any old fading seaside resort - kind of interesting for a half day or so but tons of inexpensive B&Bs more likely to have space.

Or just do Durham as a day - put bags in station locker (if there are lockers there a big if) and g onto York at night.

Or book a room in Durham right now or use history traveler's suggestion (he/she's a really experienced source on British travel IME).

Anyway as said on last thread book train tickets early do nice discounts -www.nationalrail.co.uk.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not switch the order if staying in Durham is going to be a problem? Maybe fly back from Edinburgh and spend the last night in an airport hotel to save an early start.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:16 AM

And in that scenario instead of flying back to London you could take the Caledonian Sleeper night train.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:28 AM

There are no lockers or baggage storage at Durham Station.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:54 AM

Having taken it on my last trip, I can no longer recommend the Caledonian Sleeper. It was almost the worst night train I have taken, terrible road bed.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for those replies.

I'm planning on leaving Durham the morning of July 1, and Graduation starts July 2. I could easily switch Bamburgh and Durham, so I'd be in Durham the nights of June 28 and 29. My question is whether even that's still too close to the July 2-5 Graduations in Durham.

Also, I'm currently planning on taking an express train from London to Edinburgh, renting a car when I leave Edinburgh, and either driving from York to London, or returning the car when I leave York and taking a train to London. I'll need the Car in York to visit places like the Dales, the Coast, and Castle Howard.

Thank you again everyone. I really love how helpful and friendly everyone is on this particular blog.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:53 PM

I based in Harrogate and did day trips to places like Fountains Abbey, Haworth for Bronte's town on edge of moor but with a car it would be much easier and to really get into the country but Harrogate- famous spa town could be worth a good night to stay or place to just visit:

https://www.google.com/search?q=harr...ih=614&dpr=1.5
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 01:04 PM

Highly recommend ditching the car in York. No reason to drive the M1 and M25 if you don't have to.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 01:48 PM

Why not keep the car and drive right to Heathrow Airport ditch car and get an airport area hotel with shuttle service to terminals?
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 05:33 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are no lockers at Durham station. Sunderland - no.

Question: What does Traquair House's availability look like if you jiggle the dates around? That would be the toughest 'get' (besides Durham graduation time). If Traquair has availability July 1-2 I'd do it this way:

June 21-23 London.

Train to York Collect car. June 24-26 York

June 27-28 Durham

June 29-30 Bamburgh Area

July 1-2 Traquair

July 3-4 Edinburgh

Afternoon or Evening of July 5 fly EDI to LHR, stay @ a LHR hotel and fly home on the 6th.

IF Traquair isn't available those new dates -- then I'd stick to what you have but maybe stay the 'Durham dates' closer to the Wall (Heddon-on-the-Wall/Hexham/Corbridge/etc). You'd still be commute distance from Durham.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:17 PM

Durham will be VERY busy a couple of days either side of the Graduation dates. Janis's amended itinerary looks well worth investigating if it works out for you.
It's very easy to do a day trip by train to Durham from York, if you wanted to stay longer in York itself.
I'm sorry, but as a Northern England 'local' I would not advise you to include Sunderland in your itinerary.

Last edited by Morgana; Jan 2nd, 2019 at 11:52 PM.
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:23 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I'm sorry, but as a Northern England 'local' I would not advise you to include Sunderland in your itinerary.<<

Neither would the person who recommended it
Old Jan 2nd, 2019, 11:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
janisj's sequence is better.
Sunderland (I consulted there over the years) is a dump.
Harrogate has gone down a bit, probably since P visited, the traffic is a pain and as a local, I now drive to avoid it. Lots of restaurants, lots of drinking and some pretty gardens/expensive shops/conferences.
I use public transport where I can but you will need a car for York (just use a train to get between here and Durham/London/Edin, which means you need a car park space (chose a hotel which offers one), don't stay on the outskirts of York. If you do want to stay elsewhere then Thirsk is not bad just not wonderful.
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 12:01 AM

In York the Dean Court hotel has parking (valet parking, in a secure location nearby) and has the best possible location immediately opposite the Minster. We stayed there in July a couple of years ago, and it was far too hot in the rooms - no AC. Apart from that it is a very nice hotel. York also has a gradutation ceremony in July.
Park Inn just the other side of the river has parking very close as well (in a large multistory carpark), but is much less charming than the Dean Court. Standard decent sized rooms, convenient, and with lovely views.
The best hotel we've stayed in in York was the Grand; large rooms, AC. Valet parking in a nearby carpark, or you can park there yourself.
Old Jan 3rd, 2019, 12:03 AM

Thirsk is a small town that many people think about staying in when wanting to explore both the Dales and the Moors - and looking at a map will soon tell you why. It isn't in the Dales or the Moors but not that far from either!
It also has a railway station although this is actually situated a good mile and a half outside town.
Thirsk is a busy, bustling market town - its main claim to fame is that famous vet James Herriot lived and worked there, and you can visit the Herriot Museum.
https://worldofjamesherriot.com/