Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tentative London Itinerary...All input appreciated!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am new to Fodor's forum, and am preparing to take a 7 day trip (excluding 2 traveling days) at the beginning of March. I was hoping that anyone could look at my tentative plan and let me know whether you think I've allotted enough time and such. Thank you so much!

Friday:
Arrive at Heathrow and coach (?) to hotel. British Museum for a 1 1/2 hour tour (as a class), then sightseeing such as Kings Cross/St. Pancras Station, Charing Cross Road, Australia House, and Leadenhall Market (I'm a Harry Potter fan, and these were all places that appeared in the movies). Finally, I am planning on seeing the "Lord of the Rings" show at 7:30 p.m. that night.

Saturday:
Portobello Market for browsing and shopping for a few hours. Then, head over to Trafalger Square for some sightseeing and to pop into the National Gallery. Reconnect with my class at an afternoon matinee. Then over to Tower Hill for the "Tower Bridge Exhibition". A bit of browsing and shopping in Harrods after that, and end with a late meal at Hard Rock Cafe.

Sunday:
Begin day with a Kensington Palace/Gardens tour. After that visit the Tate Britian for a while, then over to Victoria station for some shopping. End day with a 5 p.m. Harry Potter walk outside of the Embankment tube, followed by dinner at Wagamama's. (I have heard of a Little Venice walk given at 2 p.m. on this day, and am interested, but do you think I'd be able to have enough time?)

Monday:
Westminster Abbey tour (as a class), and then over to the London Eye for a go-`round. Head over to Foyle's Bookshop on Charing Cross Road for some shopping, and then round out the day with an evening performance (with group)

Tuesday:
St. Paul's cathedral and galleries tour to begin my day. Followed by a few hours at the Tower of London (I've been here before, so I won't need as long the second go-`round). Then I am thinking about heading to the London Aquarium for a while, followed by a 7:30 p.m. performance of "Wicked".

Wednesday:
"Waste Land Walk" (as a class), then a Globe Theatre tour, followed by shopping over on Oxford and Regent Street. Possible show with the class this evening. (If not, any suggestion?)

Thursday:
"Mrs. Dalloway Walk" with class, then a possible day trip to Richmond, Greenwich, or Highgate with my class. Possible third show with class that evening. I thought that this might be a good day to tie up any loose ends and do anything (within reason) that I didn't get to earlier in the trip. This is all dependant on whether or not my class decides to go to a third and final show that night.

So there it is. Any suggestions or comments are very much appreciated! Thanks so much!

Old Jan 16th, 2008, 08:15 PM

Are you coming from the US or Canada? Because the first thing that jumps out at me is that there is no way I'd be awake enough for a play the night after a transatlantic flight. Most people get 4-5 hours of sleep max on these flights, and after all that sightseeing (which will be good for keeping you awake during the day), I'd be ready to crash. I would seriously consider moving Lord of the Rings to another night.

Your Saturday is a little bit spread out, but the main thing is that I'd move the Tower Bridge trip to the Tower of London day. The bridge and the Tower are right next to each other, and I don't think with Portobello Road, Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery and a matinee you'd have time on Saturday anyway. Maybe do the bridge instead of the aquarium, since you don't seem that married to the idea of the aquarium. That St Paul's/Tower day will still be packed, but at least you won't be criss-crossing central London as much.

I don't think you'd have time for the Little Venice walk either. You're trying to pack a lot into these days, which I understand, but unless that Kensington Palace tour is only an hour or so and you only spend a tiny bit of time at the Tate Britain, you just won't have the time.

Those are the main things I see. Your Thursday sounds like too much to me, but I haven't been to Richmond, Highgate or even Greenwich, so I'm not sure.

I'm sure you'll have a great trip!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
piggy backing on what jent103 said -- your first day is way too much. Where are you staying? There is almost nowhere in central London where taking a coach in from LHR makes sense. The location of your hotel will mainly determine how you should travel into town. And IF you are flying in long haul, you really should re-think going to the Lion King the first night. Sure hope you don't suffer from jetlag, or that class on day 1 may be a blur.

Saturday's plan rushes back and forth across all of the city from Notting Hill to Trafalgar Sq to the theatre to the Tower, back to Harrod's and then to the Hard Rock. This is probably an impossible itinerary.

And may I ask what sort of shopping you plan at Victoria Station? There are shops there - but it definitely is not a shopping destination.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 02:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
god grief, ndo - how did you pick what to see on each day? by randomly sticking pins into the map?

get hold of a good plan of london which shows the underground and bus routes. then try to group what you want to see in each area. you also need to think about opening times of the places you want to visit - for example, there's no point in going to Leadenhall market late in the day, as everything will be shut -it's an early morning place, like most markets.

and as the others have said, your first day needs to be flexible to take a/c of travel recovery time/jetlag.

regards, ann

Old Jan 17th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

I am traveling from the US and my flight comes in at 6 a.m. We will be staying at The Ambassador's Hotel in the Earl's Court area and I see that there are two tube stations nearby, which will be mainly how I traverse the city. I do think I will rethink my sightseeing for each day (other than the mandatory, class stuff) and attempt to group them better. This was just a rough, throw-together, so I really appreciate everyone's input. It gives me a different perspective. It's just that, when I went to London a few years ago, I was going to bed early and waking up late, and this time have vowed not to miss doing what I would like because of too much sleep Thanks everyone and keep the comments coming!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 05:39 AM

Hi ndo! Welcome! You're going to love London!

I'll second what every one says -- at first glance I notice that you're doing a lot of running back and forth across the city. I think you should try to pick sites in the same general area so as to maximize your time. A book that's really helped me plan 2 London trips is the *Knopf Map Guide* (I can't say enough good things about this book!). London is a MASSIVE city and some things are much further away/inconvenient than they appear on a map and sometimes (more rarely) they're closer than they appear. For example, tower bridge would be good to do on the day that you see the tower of london - they're very close. Also, I believe (don't quote me) that Wicked is showing near the Victoria station so that's another thing you could consolidate. Although, like other's have said with so many good places to shop in London I'm not sure I'd make this a priority.

Truthfully, you won't be able to accomplish all that you hope, but you can really maximize your time if you consolidate a bit. For example, if I have theatre one night in a certain area I plan my later afternoon with activities that will be in that area.

Also, don't underestimate jetlag. It's very very powerful! And this is coming from someone that can survive on very little sleep. I'm always wrecked my first day in Europe. I'd recommend sticking with one general area and doing some shopping and sight seeing - maybe in the general area where your hotel is.

And finally, there are some things that I would recommend that you give up like the Aquarium. I'm sure it's nice, but lots of major US cities have really impressive aquariums.

Have a wonderful wonderful trip!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Wicked is showing directly across from Victoria Station, but I agree that the station is not really a shopping destination.

I assumed that the coach you mentioned from Heathrow was booked because you were with your class. If you're arranging transport into the city yourself - definitely listen to janisj, she knows her stuff!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:55 AM

The thing that jumps out at me is your trip to Tower Bridge. You are coming from west London - Notting Hill - to East London and then going back to west London (Knightsbridge).

You should look at combining it with your trip to the Tower as they are next to one another. BTW I have never been on the Tower Bridge tour but I have heard many bad things about it.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

I think from everyone's suggestions, that I will move the Tower Bridge Exhibition to the day I do the Tower of London since they are so close. Also, Cholmondy, what have you heard about the tour? Just curious before I really decide on anything. Thanks!
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:27 AM

I think Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday look good and reasonable. Friday and, especially, Saturday are absolutely mad. London is HUUUGE!! and you need time to get each place, especially relying on public transport.

I understand completely the desire to get in as much as you can-"I can sleep at home"-but places such as the British Museum can be really overwhelming, more so with jet lag, and you should figure in some down time so you can enjoy (and remember!) what you're seeing.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Cholmondy, what have you heard about the tour?>>>>

That it's a rip-off. A lot of money for not much. You get to see the engines and have a walk across the top of the bridge but that's about it (they don't open the bridge etc). Generally, people I have spoken to have felt a bit let down by it.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:37 AM

I've heard the same about the Tower Bridge. It's a pretty bridge and nice to look at, but with all of the things to do in London I'd skip it unless you're really into that type of thing.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 08:49 AM

I'll give you a different point of view about the Tower Bridge Experience. I have been up three times. Once for the full blown "experience" and two other times I'll explain later.

Now about the "Experience" - it actually is quite interesting info presented in a slightly hokey way. The history of how the bridge got built and the really interesting (even to non-mechanical sorts) nuts and bolts of how the bridge works. If you have a Great British Heritage Pass, it would be included and is a VERY easy "two-fer" w/ the Tower of London. But for someone who has to pay for it and is on a very short visits w/ already too many things on your plate I'd give it a miss. You can still walk across the bridge to the southbank.

Now - the best part of the Tower Bridge is walking across the upper deck between the top of the towers. the views up and down river are different than anything else you will see in London. Not on the Eye, not from the top of St Paul's or anywhere else. So twice I showed up at the bridge and told them either I didn't have time for the "Experience" or that I'd been up before and only wanted to go to the top. Both times they let me bypass the regular route and sort of "went up the down staircase" to get to the walkway. The view up there is totally worth the price of admission.

But you simply don't have time . . . . . . you have too much w/ classes, sightseeing, theatre, etc. and too few days
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:02 AM

Regarding Tower Bridge - I would not pay for it, not a cent. My sister and I went through it as it is included in London Pass, and we were walking from the Borough Market area to the Tower.
The Tower Bridge is the ONLY place of our visit where we felt extorted, nearly held hostage until we purchased the photos they make you pose for at the entry. The exit is small and you nearly have to push your way out past where the photos are sold. My sister and I are pretty strong under this kind of thing and nearly resorted to rudeness in our refusal to buy the photos.
The exhibit itself is fairly interesting and the views are wonderful but that is relative to the cost, in our case nothing.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 11:32 AM

Gee - I didn't experience any problems walking out three different times w/o buying - or even looking at the photos. They don't tackle you or anything - you simply walk out. No need to talk to them at all.

But really isn't an issue since ndo6532 doesn't have enough time unless she drops some other things.
Old Jan 17th, 2008, 01:21 PM

mark. London is in my back-up plans for May. I appreciate all the comments because I haven't been to London for many years.
Old Jan 18th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great comments so far! Please keep them coming as you see fit!
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 06:48 AM

ndo,

My husband and I took our twin 6-year old daughters to London in March '05 and had a blast.

I agree with the others r.e. your first day. We were really tired and even took a short nap before heading out.

The only other thing I would add regards Greenwich. This was a highlight of our trip for me. We spent an entire day there, when you include the travel time getting there and getting back to the central city. (We took the DLR there and a river boat back).

The Cutty Sark is in Greenwich and was a fun tour for the kids as well as us adults. The Planetarium was very fun for me. We got to look through some telescopes at the sun and moon, hear a historical account of how they figured out how to tell time aboard ships, visit the museum there...Not to mention we stood astride the Prime Meridian. That said, the kids got a little bored with stuff they didn't understand and we had to placate them by spending some time at the park (which was very nice). My recommendation is that people who like scientific stuff would enjoy Greenwich, but if that's not your thing it might not be worth your time.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 07:52 AM

I'm headed to Greenwich on my upcoming March trip, but I'm sad to report that the Cutty Sark was badly burnt in a fire. I believe it is being restored, but I'm not sure that it will be ready for touring any time in the near future.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 10:33 AM

Yes the Cutty Sark is a wreck. It's not on display and is being restored in a big tent that you can't go into.

There's more to Greenwich than the Cutty Sark (I'm biased - I work there).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -