Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tentative June itinerary: comments, please! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tentative-june-itinerary-comments-please-290892/)

mmb23 Jan 23rd, 2008 05:27 PM

Tentative June itinerary: comments, please!

Based on feedback from helpful Fodorites, I've worked up a tenative itinerary for our June Amalfi Coast trip. We'll be in an apartment for a week, and based on our interests (and the costs I'm finding) we're leaning toward Ravello. We won't have a car, though, and I'm open to your experiences/feedback (negative and positive) about staying there. We haven't confirmed booking yet and can still consider other locales.

Feedback welcome!

1 arrive Naples, bus to Sorrento

2 see Pompeii & back to Sorrento

3 bus to apartment in Ravello & settle in (shop, get dinner)

4 hike (to Atrani and back)

5 cooking class: Mamma Agata, Vincenzino, other? Feedback welcome!

6 hike (Path of the Gods)

7 Explore Amalfi or Positano

8 hike (Ravello based walk)

9 Get on the water-boat or beach

10 driver to Naples airport & home

I appreciate any input!
Best,
Melissa

bobthenavigator Jan 23rd, 2008 05:35 PM

Sounds like fun !
Do yourself a favor and go to www.onelittleworld.com and find their Campania trip.

mmb23 Jan 23rd, 2008 05:42 PM

Bob, thanks for the speedy response and the link; great tips and insights on their (very similar) trip. I appreciate it!
Best,
Melissa

cjsg Jan 24th, 2008 06:42 AM

IMO a trip to the amalfi coast isn't complete without staying on Capri at least one night. (A day trip there doesn't do it justice, but it's better then nothing I suppose). I've been to Positano, Amalfi, and Ravello - all were beautiful, but if I had to pick one place to return to on the Amalfi Coast it would be Capri hands down!!!

kja Jan 24th, 2008 08:01 AM

Hi, Melissa -

Sounds like a great trip! Will you have any time in Naples to see the Archeological Museum? It makes a nice complement to seeing Pompeii.

Enjoy!

bobthenavigator Jan 24th, 2008 08:06 AM

Prego !
That is my son and family.

mmb23 Jan 24th, 2008 10:56 AM

Thanks for the feedback! I just talked to my aunt about the itinerary yesterday, and she asked the same thing about the museum. I am torn between staying in Sorrento for the first two nights or just staying in Naples. This will be my first visit to southern Italy (my fourth to Italy overall) and my husband's first trip ever to Italy. Although we live in a city (Chicago) and have traveled a bit, I'm not sure that the adventure of Naples is the best way to start a trip whose main purpose is R&R.

I suppose we could add time to the front of the trip to go into Naples for the day if we didn't want to stay there. I welcome more conversation on this topic!

I also appreciate the input on Capri; I think the budget side of our trip may not allow for a night away from the apartment, but I'll poke around and see if I can find any deals.

Bob, do you live in Chicago, too? We might be neighbors! :)

Thanks, everyone!
melissa

kja Jan 24th, 2008 11:49 AM

For budget accommodation in Capri, you might check into the Hotel La Tosca. I had a great experience there!

bobthenavigator Jan 24th, 2008 11:52 AM

No no no !
They live in Batavia---I am in NC.

cjsg Jan 24th, 2008 12:26 PM

I would spend as little time in Naples as is humanly possible. It was awful and I hope never to have to return (although I'm sure I will because it's the hub for getting to Southern Italy). I love big cities, but Naples was horrible - dirty, chaotic and I never felt safe. My husband, who grew up in NYC, hated Naples also. We spent one night there and that was far too long!! It is the antithesis of rest and relaxation.