Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tent. itinerary in Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Rhotenberg

Feb 13th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

My husband and I will be traveling for 10 nights and would love to see Prague, Vienna, Salzburg and Rhotenberg, but wonder if we're trying to cover too much ground.

A tentative itinerary may look like this(keeping in mind we are fast travelers and will be primarily using trains, but also driving b/w Salzburg & Rhotenberg):

Fly into Frankfurt, train to Prague
Prague 3 nights, train to Vienna
Vienna 2 nights, train to Salzburg
Salzburg 2 nights, drive to Rhotenberg
Rhotenberg 2 nights, drive to Munich
Train to Frankfurt (overnight) and fly out next day

Any thoughts (aside from maybe doing too much, which we are already considering). Thanks!

Feb 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Where is Rhotenberg?
Feb 13th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Why Rothenburg? and if Rothenburg, I do not think that it deserves more than an overnight.
Feb 13th, 2005, 02:25 PM

If Rhotenberg is actually Rothenburg o.d. Tauber, then why drive past Munich, then return to Munich to catch the train? Why not go to Munich first, then drive to Rothenburg for however many nights you want, then drive to Frankfurt?

Or is Rhotenberg another town entirely?
Feb 13th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

To RufusTFirefly's question, I did mean Rhotenburg o.d. Tauber. I just feel like we're on a tight schedule, but have heard wonderful things about Rhotenburg. We are considering a Rail n'Drive pkg, so our car rental is limited. Would it be better to see Dresden, Prague, Vienna and Salzburg, using the trains the entire trip? Is Rhotenburg worth the extra leg?
Feb 13th, 2005, 04:36 PM

I would drop Rothenburg and spend more time in Prague or Vienna, or even spend some time in Munich.
Feb 13th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Rothenburg is done very well, but it is overwhelmed with tour groups during the day. Once the tour buses leave in the afternoon, it pretty much closes up.

I wouldn't think it worth going to the trouble to rent a car and drive up there just to spend a couple of nights.

If I were you, I'd go to Munich first, then take a train to a place like Bamberg or Wuerzburg for a couple of nights and then on to Frankfurt by train instead of driving to Rothenburg then back down to Munich.

But I'm not you, and many people do enjoy Rothenburg. Bottom line, it's your time and your money and your interests that rule.

It could be that, since you've heard such wonderful things about Rothenburg, you'll always wonder if you should have gone when you had the chance.
Feb 14th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your time and advice! After doing some reading, I'm concluding that a Dresden/Prague/Vienna/Salzburg itinerary may make the most sense. We'll be able to do the trip by train, which may make it easier. Thanks again.