Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tell us how your trip turned out using the information you received on this board. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tell-us-how-your-trip-turned-out-using-the-information-you-received-on-this-board-259405/)

Madam X Sep 19th, 2002 09:58 AM

Tell us how your trip turned out using the information you received on this board.

Alot of you are such clever writers and ask such good questions of the readers here, I am sure you get some good advice. <BR>Do you use it? Let us know, I have become interested in some threads seeking advice, then you go on your trip and leave us hanging as to what happened.<BR>Let us know!!!! It is part of the fun.

x Sep 19th, 2002 10:47 AM

I only use bits an pieces here and there. You need to get a picture of the poster to know if you have similar tastes.<BR><BR>This past summer in Hawaii I found bike paths, desserts, hikes and info on roads from the U.S board on Kauai. Did not know this info on past trips. In terms of quality it’s pretty subjective. If you read a number of people fixed on a place (this forum Italy (Venice)(US forum Kauai) you know that there is something special not to be missed. But by and large I temper enthusiastic suggestions unless I see a consensus or get a sense that a poster is not just a mainstream tourist (someone that just goes to major cities in Europe and Disney Land in the U.S). <BR>

sandi Sep 19th, 2002 10:54 AM

Isn't that what trip reports are usually about? Most people point out places they stayed or restaraunts they visited etc.. because of what they read on this forum.

Myriam Sep 19th, 2002 10:57 AM

For our recent trip to Tuscany I printed out various threads that have been very useful. Someone's favourite town was Pienza and although it was a bit out of our way, we decided to visit. It was one of the highlights of our trip. <BR>Therefore, thank you Alice, Dean, Diane ... and all those whose names I cannot remember right now.

Nycer Sep 19th, 2002 11:08 AM

Here is a list of some things that I learned specifically by perusing this board. <BR><BR>Things I learned on Fodors that put me a step ahead in Italy: <BR><BR>Do not wear shorts or wear tank tops to the Vatican <BR>Pre-book the Scavi Tour<BR>Do Ancient Rome on Sunday, then do the Vatican on Monday<BR>Pay for your drink/snacks first, then hand the receipt to the guy behind the counter<BR>Get your train ticket validated before getting on the train<BR>Reserve the Borghese Gallery<BR>Take sleeping pills to sleep on the plane<BR>www.limoservicerome.com<BR>Bring a small suitcase, for me a 21” expandable in a burgundy color<BR>Bring small sizes of everything<BR>La Chiusa and Montefollonico!! <BR>

Elsa Sep 19th, 2002 11:09 AM

I find the info very informative and VERY useful for the trips I plan. We've taken a number of trips, and the only disappointment I've had was that the Hotel St. Germain des Pres was not as nice as I expected it to be - that includes room and the 2 women who "manned" the reception desk. Other than that 1 thing, all other info has been right on.

Tia Sep 19th, 2002 11:36 AM

Nycer:<BR><BR>What do you mean hand your receipt to the guy behind the counter after you pay for your drinks/snacks?

Nycer Sep 19th, 2002 11:49 AM

Yes! First decide what you're going to have, then go to the cash register and pay for it. The cash register person will hand you a receipt with the items that you ordered on it. You then head back to the bar area and hand it to the person serving the food. They will look at the receipt and say which pastry do you want and usually you just point to it. This was usually the method in coffee bars with food and gelaterias. Some of them don't even have a sitting area, you just stand at the counter and enjoy your cappuccino. Also, I've heard on this board that the prices are different if you sit at the cafe rather than just stand at the bar.

Sheila Sep 19th, 2002 11:21 PM

When we went to Lesvos in the spring, the advice I had from a gentleman with a holiday hom tehe was just terrific. It's not a place much written about and his recommendations were the difference between an OK and a great holiday.

happyal Sep 20th, 2002 02:24 AM

madam x<BR>i read the threads and than see if that<BR>would apply to me or my plans.if you read hotel or rest. ratings you will find you will find some peaple love it <BR>and hate it ,so you will have to make <BR>up your own mind.not every body is right nor every one is wrong.just like<BR>ELSA she hated her hotel but i stayed <BR>there in july and loved it,we just had<BR>two diffrent experince in this place.<BR>i read these threads just to get general view and also helpfull hints.

Buzzy Sep 20th, 2002 02:25 AM

When I went to Provence last year I would not have found out about the position of a local lake, or got to know about the Festival De Veraison at Chateauneuf De Pape if it were not for Fodorites.<BR><BR> I always post questions about local areas here as often somone will turn up some information not included in the tourist guides.<BR><BR>Buzzy

Mike Miller Sep 20th, 2002 02:37 AM

I always print out the threads I find useful. Using this forum is like have 100 friends give you advice. You take what you think you can use. So far, I've never been disappointed.