Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Tell me where is the most beautiful, romantic, wonderous region in France: Help me decide where to go

Search

Tell me where is the most beautiful, romantic, wonderous region in France: Help me decide where to go

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2000, 09:47 PM
pdv28

Hi everyone! I am still thinking about going to the South of France, but would also like to hear about some of the other regions of France (to help me decide whether I should go anywhere else). What is your fav region in France? What is the true, romantic France that one must see on one's first trip?? <BR> <BR>Thanks to everyone for participating! <BR>All opinions and thoughts are welcomed! <BR>Patricia

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 09:31 AM
Sue

Sue, <BR> <BR>We thought that Southern France and Paris to be the most romantic. But, just about anywhere in France is perfect. We loved Villefranche-sur-mer and Eze and Antibes on the Riviera. And Lex Baux, St. Remy and Arles in Provence and anywhere in Paris.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 09:42 AM
Nino

Patricia, <BR>Provence and Bourgogne are the best regions of France - good food, excelent wine and the best landscape. <BR>Nino <BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 12:16 PM
Randall Smith

Hello, <BR> <BR>France is a movable feast. I think anywhere that you travel you will find interesting. The country is diverse in that you can drive a half day and essentilly be in a different climat with different food, wine, customs, archetecture, and accents. From Alsace with it's German influence and its choucroute garni and fine white wines, the French alps and Lac Annecy with the vieille ville, the southwest - Sarlat, D'Artagnon and the frois gras and confit de carnard, the area around Toulouse with the Cassoulet, Provence and the Italian influence - The socca in Nice and the light rose wines. Don't forget the Loire valley and the chateaux, Bourgogne and the greatest wines in the world or maybe St. Emilion and Bordeaux - Maybe the greatest wines in the world, and of coarse what about Reims, Epernay and Champagne country. <BR> <BR>It seems you'll just need to returning. To find you most wonderous part of France. <BR> <BR>Bon Voyage, <BR> <BR>Randall Smith <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 12:49 PM
Patrick

It's all wonderful. Is there a horrible area in France? If so, I haven't found it. But for romantic, after Paris, I would think Loire valley, staying in a spectacular chateau, sipping champagne.

Old Oct 6th, 2000, 09:07 PM
pdv28

Thanks for the great comments so far! Does anyone want to share anything about the Burgundy region? <BR> <BR>thanks!! <BR>Patricia

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 07:27 AM
Larry

Patricia: <BR> <BR>Consider Chamonix/Mt. Blanc in the french Alps. Get a room w/a terrace overlooking the Alps and you'll fall in love with it. <BR> <BR>Larry

Old Oct 7th, 2000, 09:12 AM
richardab

I just returned from Alsace. It was like being in a storybok land. The people are very friendly, the food is delicious and the villages are very quaint. Prices are also reasonable. The scenery is just what you will imagine - rolling hills covered with a patchwork of grapevines, little villages nestled in the hills and wineries all along the 'route du vin'. <BR> <BR>If you want to know more or see pics, send me an Email.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 06:23 AM
hope

My trip to Burgundy was the most romantic trip I've taken. We ere able to have picturesque vineyard towns, such as Morey-St.Denis and Volnay all to ourselves. We stayed in Beaune, which was lively. But every morning we left town with baguette and cheese and sausage and explored the small towns. There were plenty of quiet spots for lunch amid the vineyards. I've been told that it gets very busy at harvest. But in August, I really felt like it was ours! Every town has plenty of wine to taste and purchase. The food is wonderful as well. I love the complimentary Gougeres - tiny cheese laden puffs served warm with the best Kir I've ever tasted - the local creme de cassis is wonderful! <BR>

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 06:29 AM
sam ludu

I also recommend Alsace and the “route du vin.” Kaysersburg, Ribeauville, and the other charming villages are certainly worth a visit.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 01:45 PM
pdv28

Hope, <BR> <BR> I'd love to hear more about your trip to burgundy, if you would like to share. <BR> <BR>Thanks! <BR>Patricia

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 02:37 PM
pdv28

Also, has anyone been to Santenay? I am wondering what this area of Burgundy is like. <BR> <BR> Can anyone tell me how easy it is to train in the region of Burgundy? (if you happen to know)? <BR> <BR>Thanks much!!! <BR>Patricia

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 03:36 PM
Jill

I am getting ready for my seventh trip to France, just Paris this time, but my <BR>favorite romantic place in France is the south, in particular a small coastal area on the Mediterranean called <BR>Esteral between Cannes and St. Tropez, realtively undeveloped litte ports like <BR>Theoule and Napoule. <BR> <BR>I also love Villefranche sur la mer for its village built into the hillside and La Mere Germaine restaurant for le loup, boned tableside. It sadly has gotten a little too crowded for me... <BR> <BR>report back after your trip, I love hearing about other's wonderful finds.

Old Oct 8th, 2000, 03:49 PM
pdv28

I'm sorry, I have another question. (I have probably responded more to my own post than anybody else has -- But where would be a nice small picturesque town in burgundy to overnight in? And would other towns be in close proximity, or would one need a car? <BR> <BR>Thanks for your help! <BR>Patricia

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 12:43 PM
Shanna

Jill - how nice to hear mentione of Mama Germaine's. When my dad was in the Navy years ago, he went into Villefranche and Mama Germaine became a personal friend of his - and of our family, sending cards and gifts. I never was able to meet her before she died and when her daughter visited my dad I was away from home. Your message was little like meeting a memory for me - something my alzheimer-ravaged father won't have again. It's made me cry a bit, but knowing the restaurant is still open - now I must visit.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 01:04 PM
adina

The mouline des ruats in Pontaubert near Avallon has a beautiful location-- on the river, down a beautiful forest road, lots of flower boxes, simple rooms but private baths. I don't know if its a good place without a car though.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 01:14 PM
Diane

In the Burgundy area, north west of Beaunne I'd recommend Chateauneuf en Auxois. A small 12th century village on a hill top in lovely rolling country side. I didn't stay there but it is a place I'd like to spend a relaxing evening. <BR> <BR>My favorite part of France (of the parts I've seen) is the Dordogne area - beautiful landscape, great food, great villages and chateaux. <BR> <BR>2nd would have to be north of Paris - Giverny, Honfleur and further west Mont. St. Michele. <BR> <BR>And of course Paris - the most romantic city there is. <BR> <BR>I'm ready to go! <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 11:50 PM
Joel

My wife and I lived and worked in France for 2.5 years. The Bourgogne (Burgundy) was one of the most charming. As you ask for hotel recommendations there, I would suggest a combination of charm and fine dining. At the top of my list is a hotel at Puligny-Montrachet called Le Montrachet which rates one star from Michelin signifying a very good table at a reasonable price.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 06:14 AM
Rex

Patricia, <BR> <BR>It has been interesting to see your evolution (over just one week) in planning your trip. <BR> <BR>And I think you are mixing your metaphors, a little bit. On the one hand, you make it clear that this is your first trip to France (and there is the suggestion that you want to make the most of it, as if there will never be another one). <BR> <BR>You don't say how much French you speak, nor how much about French history, culture and living you know (from school or books). You don't say who might be traveling with you - - even though you seek romantic places - - are you hoping to find romance THERE - - or "take it with you"? It seems that these are factors in your decisions about destinations (and transportation) WITHIN France. <BR> <BR>At the same time, you are getting seduced by the descriptions of "favorite places" of those who have traveled repeatedly to and within France - - or even lived there. I wonder where YOU live - - would a first time trip to your part of the country (if it's the US) - - be the same as the more intimate exploration that people who live there prefer? Would you try to "see" the Napa valley by public transportation? No. But San Francisco yes. Amish country of Pennsylvania "by train"? I don't think so. But Philadelphia without a car? Entirely appropriate. In both instances, by the way (and in France), tour buses ARE one way to see these "other" areas - - without a car. <BR> <BR>If you are traveling solo (or with someone who is not as interested as you in the planning), your first trip to France will be uniquely yours, and no two first-time (solo - - or not) visitors to France are alike. But don't be dissuaded from taking a "training wheels" trip. Paris - - then Lyon, then Avignon, then Antibes - - and fly home to Nice would make a great introductory trip to France. <BR> <BR>And then on the next trip, get a car, take one (or two, or more) people you love, and see some of the other parts of France that make it every world citizen's "second country". <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 09:28 AM
pdv28

Rex, <BR> <BR> I must agree that I probably sound a bit frantic (changing plans etc) but I only have a few weeks before I leave and want to make some reservations. <BR> <BR> I do not understand what you mean by metaphors. If you would clarify, I'd be happy to try to clear up the confusion. <BR> <BR> I have purposely left out personal information that really is of no consequence to the responses I hope to receive. I have included everything in my question that I feel is necessary for one to respond to--like the fact I will be training --but could bus to smaller towns if possible. <BR> <BR> I think you have misunderstood my use of "romantic". I meant romantic as in the historical movement(in music, and literature, etc) The notion to prefer imagination and picturesque scenes, and sensual aspects of life. I meant romantic in the fact that I (and others too) have an old, romanticicized picture of France in my head. Romantic pictures of serene lands dotted with vineyards, old mills, ancient sunsets with sublime castles rising above the hills overlooking quiet, peaceful grazing herds of cattle. I do realize that this land may be hard to find, as it is what I have pictured in my head. But I intend to look anyway. <BR> <BR> I don't think it makes a difference whether I speak French or how much history I know -as it pertains nothing to my question. <BR> <BR> You are right about me not knowing much about the smaller villages and how much public transportation actually goes there --that's why I asked. <BR> <BR> By the way, would you happen to know if there are buses or tours that go from Beaune around to some of the smaller villages, like Savigny-Les-Beaune? Is there no other way than to car? <BR> Thanks for your help! <BR>Patricia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -