Tell me about your trip to Normandy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to be a trip I have been dreaming of for years. I'd love to hear about your time spent at Normandy. We will be there for 3 days coming on the ferry from the UK. Any food recommendations would be awesome.

Theresa in Detroit.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Write to me at [email protected] and I'll send you my trip reports for Normandy.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 02:25 PM

You might be interested in the middle of this report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34444403
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 03:44 PM

We drove from Paris to Bayeau. We visited Omaha Beach and went down on the beach,most tours do not go down on the beach. We drove right down a dim road to the beach, then went the the cemetary above the beach. We spend the night in Bayeau, saw the cathedral and Bayeau tapistry. We then went to Mount Saint Micheal and spent the night there. It was great. See our web site emilyandjim.info.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 03:54 PM

i was in london for 1 week in summer. it was very nice there, i want to fly next years again.
http://www.travel-carhire.com
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 05:29 PM

In case you need to Google it, the town is actually spelled Bayeux.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Hi
I don't know which ferry you're taking but we drove from Brussels and stayed in Bolougne sur Mer for a night. Excellent seafood restaurants, hotels were difficult. If your coming on a Saturday it's best to make reservations at most hotels. We stayed at Hotel de la Plage there. drove to Honfleur. If you stay there try to eat at the L'aromate, a small [6 outdoor tables] It's right on the harbor and a small place inside. Great mussels, etc. a family owned type place. We stayed in Bayeux at he Hotel Churchill, very nice hotel though no elevator. English speaking owners, friendly. Free parking. The restaurants we tried did'nt impress much. Omaha and Utah beaches are incredible. The size of the beaches and the knowledge of what occured is overwhelming. If you get a chance, we visited Ste Mere Eglise, they have a very good museum about the airborne.
On Utah beach there's a historic radio station that the Navy captured. It's been turned into a part museum and restaurant. Great location for a lunch of mussels and a beer. We spent 3 days on the Beaches and surrounding areas, we took our time. If you can stay longer, visit Mt St. Michel. We stayed at the Mercure [off island], ate at the La Rotessarie, mussels and steaks. Resonable and very good. The most import fact thou is if you arrive on a Saturday, make reservations.. We didn't have any on our return to Brussels, stopped at various attractive towns Etrate,etc and wound up driving from Mt. St Michel to Brugge. Everywhere we stopped was booked.
Enjoy your trip, it's beautiful
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 09:32 PM

Hi
Sorry, I forgot to include the saddest part. The American cemetary. You can't help but feel overwhelmed and appreciate their sacrifice for us. We were there on 9/11, so ther moment of the first crash into the WTC, it became quiet, then a 21 gun salute and taps was played. I've never been to a more moving event in my life.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 10:06 PM

We based in Honfleur for 4 nights - a charming town with a variety of restaurants, galleries & shops. We had many wonderful meals from simple galettes (savory crepes) to scrumptious seafood! If you are in Honfleur, be sure to drive up to the view point at Mont Joli. From there you can look over Honfleur to the Pont de Normandie.

Our excursions included a trip Bayeux to see the tapastery & the town. From there, we drove to Omaha Beach, the American cemetery at Colleville-sur-mer & Juno Beach to see the Canadian Monument at Courseulles. Our drive back to Honfleur took us along the coast through Deauville.

On another day, we headed inland to Conches-en-Ouch via Lisieux & Evreux. We travelled through the countryside, past hectares & hectares of wheat fields & pastures, and the Foret de Conches. Also, saw some stately manor houses on lovely parcels of land! No big sights on this day, just the beautiful countryside!

Hope you have a memorable trip!
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 09:23 AM

We spent a few days there this summer. We took the train over to Bayeux from Paris. We stayed at the Hotel Churchill in Bayeux. The location of the hotel was great as it was right in the main area of town so very easy to walk everywhere. We did the one day Battlebus tour, which was excellent, but kicked ourselves for not doing the 2 day tour. Battlebus picks up their groups at the edge of the parking lot of the Churchill Hotel.

The Tapestry is very close to it as well, and definitely worthy of a visit.

Two places that we had dinner were La Petit Bistro and La Fringale. Both were good, but La Fringale was our preference.

We also went to the Peace Museum in Caen. That is a must see, IMO, and best done before visiting the various beaches and cemetaries.

A few years ago we did a day trip from Paris. One day is definitely too short, so we knew on this trip to add some time. Even with 3 days there on this last trip, it wasn't enough.

Old Oct 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM

As others have said, visiting the D-Day sites are an emotional experience; the cemetery, the beaches, Ponte du Hoc, etc.

However, one of our favorites spots was the Caen Memorial Museum. We especially appreciated the movie of actual war footage of the Allied & the German troops. A split screen effect was used - Allied on one side/German on the other. And each side mirrored the other in sequence. The Allies preparing/the Germans preparing. The Allies invading/the Germans firing down upon them. All the way to the capture of the remaining Germans. Thruout the movie, soldiers from both sides were giving comments on the experience. It was awesome; closest to being there that is possible. We also liked the war artifacts from both sides.

We plan to return, soon we hope.

Julie
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 11:57 AM

Rouen is another interesting city to visit in Normandy--beautiful architecture and a long history
http://www.rouentourisme.com/default.asp?ext=en
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

WOW, imagine my surprsie getting home from work and finding all this Fantastic info. Leave it to the People at Fodor's to get the job done.

Thank You a Million times.

Theresa in Detroit...
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 08:51 PM

When I visited my friend in Dinan she took me to Normandy.

We started in Bayeaux where we saw the tapestry. Then we drove to Arromanch to see the harbor that the British had built.

We continued on to Omaha beach. We ate lunch in a restaurant on the beach. After lunch we went to the American cemetary & Point du Hoc.

As an American, I found reading the guest book in the American cemetary the most moving part of the trip. The guest book is filled with page after page of thank yous. My eyes are tearing even as I write this.