Notices

Tell me about the Queens Birthday!

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 11:52 AM
Richard

Tell me about the Queens Birthday!

I will be in Amsterdam on the Queens Birthday holiday which is April 30th. What goes on in Amsterdam on this day?

Old Mar 9th, 1999, 12:07 PM
Bill Barr

Richard

We spent a week in Amsterdam last April and, unkown to us, the Queen's Birthday celebrations were due to be held on our second last day there.

We had a ball! We saw at first hand how the folks in Amsetrdam enjoy themselves. It felt like the whole day's celebrations started outside our hotel bedroom window at 06.00 that morning.

There was no public transport at all and taxis were almost impossible to find. The majority of stores were closed and the city was full of street markets especially set up for the celebrations.

There was also a fantastic funfare on Dam square with a 'big wheel' that has to hold the record for its height.

We witnessed crowds of people the likes of which we'd never seen before. Thousands and thousands of folks walking, singing and dancing through the steets with the majority of them wearing orange.

Fantastic street parades and the friendlines of the poeple was pretty much overwhelming.

Oh...and plenty of Dutch beer to go round too!

You'll have a great time.

Bill

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 05:38 AM
Mark

I'd like to give an alternative view of Queen's Day. It's crowded and chaotic and should be avoided. The crowds in some areas are so bad that it takes nearly an hour to take a normal five or ten minute stroll. It's not the best way to see the city.

I would avoid it.

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 07:45 AM
Richard

i guess i will avoid it. i have changed my plans and i am going to venice instead......

Old Mar 23rd, 1999, 07:33 AM
Peter

Richard,

Queens birthday is a national holiday and all offices/shops etc. is closed.
Imagine a nationwide freemarket where people are selling their stuff found somewhere in the attic.

It's very busy that day everywhere. If you don't like crowded masses of people avoid it. Go the night before which is popular because you're still able to walk. Q day is madness but it is a party!