Reload this Page >

tell me about prague!

Search

tell me about prague!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 02:17 PM
vicki

tell me about prague!

I'm planning on visiting Prague in late August with a friend. We'll be there a week. Can you tell me what's hot and what's not. Also, nice hostels or moderate lodgings you might suggest. Thanks! Vicki

Old Mar 5th, 2001, 07:47 PM
chris

I was there last summer for about 4 days. It was very nice, but with all the hype it gets, I thought it was a little overrated. We stayed, I believe, at the Hotel Pyramida. It's up on the hill across the river by the soccer stadium near the castle. It was very nice, but may be more pricey than your looking for - a friend had put us up there. For sights, my highlight was seeing the prague skyline from across the river in a beautiful park (not sure of the name), but you take the funicular up to the viewing tower and the house of mirrors and then there is this park that winds down to the river. The other cool sights, aside from the maze of small streets and shops, is, of course, the Astronomical clock and the Charles Bridge - must-sees and very touristy. We thought the old Jewish synagogue was a disappointment, but the cemetery was neat. Lastly, as I was told too, you are not going to believe the price of food in Prague - it is dirt cheap and pretty good. Hope this helps.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 12:49 AM
David

Vicki, <BR> <BR>We were in Prague May '98 for 2 nights only and loved it. Stayed at Hotel Kinsky Gardens run by one of the big international chains - Holiday Inn? It was reasonable (about $US100) given it was probably the best hotel we stayed in anywhere in Europe - would have cost 4 times as much in any major city. It was a short tram ride from city centre. <BR>City was beautiful if you like very old and original architecture, beautiful bridges over river. Food dirt cheap. Castle was really worthwhile - climb up tower for great view if no problems with heights & confined spaces. Tiny chapels, old servants' quarters - great. Went to Opera - lovely old theatre - singing a bit amatuerish but whole experience a great experience in old grand theatre. Public transport great and cheap. Everything *cheap*. Have a great time.

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 04:11 AM
Joyce

The highlight of our week's stay in Prague was attending a performance of Laterna Magica (Magic Lantern). It is next to impossible to describe -- a combination of screen and stage. The two characters appear to literally come off the screen onto the stage. Unlike anything you've ever seen. You can do a search here and buy tickets on the web, which is probably a good idea, or you may luck out, as we did, and get them at the box office in Prague. Whatever--- don't miss. We also wish we had taken the opportunity of attending concerts. Students are pushing handbills at you every day for performances that day. Many are in churches. It is a beautiful city, as you know. <BR>

Old Mar 6th, 2001, 04:54 AM
Dave

While "Laterna Magica" was enjoyed by many, and has had a very long run, I didn't feel that showing people being pushed back into a burning circus tent was funny.