Reload this Page >

Teenage Tours in Europe

Search

Teenage Tours in Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 01:21 PM
julie

Teenage Tours in Europe

Just returned from Paris and Rome -- had a great time with our 17 year old son. Now he wants to go back next year after he graduates. Does anyone know of any chaperoned trips for teenagers that we could investigate. Not sure it is something he is ready to do on his own.

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 05:33 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 05:45 PM
Karen

I have NO idea if this outfit even still exists (maybe someone else here does?). Way back in the mid-70's, when I was a teenager, I went for 6 weeks with a group called AIFS (American Institute for Foreign Study). We spent a few days in London, took a train to St. Andrew's Scotland, spent 2 weeks staying at the University in dorm rooms and taking classes there (mostly fun and light stuff like geneology, Scottish Country Dance, Shakespeare, Scottish History, golf, etc.). Classes were in the morning during the week and we had optional excursions and general free time in the afternoons and on the weekends. Then we flew to the European continent and spent the rest of the time seeing Denmark, Sweden, Norway and Paris. We stayed in hostels and budget hotels and had GREAT fun. We seemed to have just the right mix of chaperoned activities and free time. <BR> <BR>You might check with his high school or a local college too. I found out about AIFS from an flyer on a bulletin board at my high school, so if it still exists -- or there are other programs -- that might be a place to start. FYI: most of the people on my trip were in the 16-18 year old range.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 07:01 AM
julie

Thanks Karen! I'll check it out -- sounds good

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 09:31 AM
topper

!

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 02:08 PM
merriem

You might look into Contiki if he will be 18. They are great trips for singles, and our daughter took one to Australia and one to Europe. Everything is planned out and includes most of their meals...oh yes...they do drink...but most kids that age do anyway! Check out their web page www.contiki.com

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 02:09 PM
merriem

You might look into Contiki if he will be 18. They are great trips for singles, and our daughter took one to Australia and one to Europe. Everything is planned out and includes most of their meals...oh yes...they do drink...but most kids that age do anyway! Check out their web page www.contiki.com

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 05:24 PM
Karen

Also try a web search using "Europe teen tour". I tried it just for laughs and got several hits, including these: <BR> <BR>http://www.westcoastconnection.com/ <BR>http://www.weissmantours.com/ <BR>http://www.venture-europe.com/ <BR> <BR>On the surface, they seemed worth checking out. <BR>

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 08:54 AM
topper

!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 10:20 AM
elvira

Just a word of caution: there have been recent problems over spring break when teens have booked a "teen tour" to Mexico or Florida, etc. and had terrible incidences (assaults, robberies, cancelled flights that left them stranded, etc.). Check with ASTA and your local BBB before booking anything so you know your son will be safe AND have a good time.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 12:56 PM
fred

I suggest getting your son included in one of the student group tours by one of the established student tour companies. <BR>Teachers typically organize a high school or college group to do a tour through the company, and the teacher goes free. I've been on 2 of these (adults can and do go too)---greece, and france/italy. They are safe, good, reasonably priced and fully guided but not too restrictive. I know of 3 established companies you can find on web--ACIS (forgot what that stands for); <BR>EF (Educational Foundation); and CHA (Cultural Heritage Alliance). They could put your son with a group in your area. Worth exploring anyway.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 06:54 PM
Karen

FYI: I just found AIFS on the web (they also have a link to ACIS, just mentioned by Fred). It's definitely the same outfit that I traveled with back in the 70's.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 06:55 PM
Karen

FYI: I just found AIFS on the web (they also have a link to ACIS, just mentioned by Fred). It's definitely the same outfit that I traveled with back in the 70's. Their website is: http://www.aifs.org/