Teen on School Trip

Search

Teen on School Trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Teen on School Trip

My daughter is going to Italy during Easter break with her high school for 13 days. This is her first trip overseas without her parents. I've read the posts regarding credit cards versus ATMs. Many posts discuss a backup credit card. I was thinking of a Visa debit card tied to an account with just her funds for the trip in it until I read about the AAA Cash Passport. Has anyone send their child on a trip with either of these? What was your backup? Also, we bought phone cards in London on our trip last summer which wouldn't work from our hotel. I was thinking of renting a cell phone so our daughter wouldn't be out on the street trying to call us. Has anyone experienced problems with phone cards in Italian hotels?
Thanks, samejia.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:18 PM

..before you even think about a cell phone check with the trip organizers. They maybe ok but maybe "verbotten"..re the card..years ago when I was a student my Dad gave me a credit card. I was "honored" that he trusted me with the responsibility and used it only for back up..a pair of hiking boots when we went to Switzerland rather than Italy (and my money from my acct had not been forwarded to Am Express office yet..truly the old days!). I think either an atm or credit card will work..calculate the pros and cons..and then go for it BUT check with the trip organizers again there me be a "pocket money" limit to make it fair for all..and to prevent them from having to worry about someone loosing a largish amt of cash.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, travelbunny. Seems that many are using Visa debit cards from an account other then the parents' and cash. I figured the AMEX travel card was a mistake since AMEX is not accepted everywhere. I didn't want to give her a credit card in case she loses it. I just can't figure out what the good backup would be if the debit card is a problem. Getting her own ATM card? She's only 15. There's no restriction on the cellphone. I just know that we had problems last summer in London using a phone card from the hotel. I didn't want her to be on the street calling at night.....
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:37 PM

I don't know what that AMEX card is about, but VISA sells a product that sounds similar -- called Travelmoney or something. I think you can get better deals on them at AAA than from VISA. They aren't just for charging things, but you can use them in an ATM like a debit card to get cash. They are fairly expensive, but for a teen it could be a good idea. Is that what the AAA Cash Passport is?
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 03:48 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Christina. The AAA Cash Passport is the same as the Visa TravelMoney card. I'm going to call AAA today to see what the fees are. I may just bite the bullet and pay them since I'd be using it for my daughter.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
It's my understanding that the Visa and AmEx travel money cards are the "new" traveler's checks. Just as gift cards have replaced gift certificates in stores the money cards are replacing the checks. The Visa and AmEx both can be used in ATM's but AmEx's says it must be one that says it accepts AmEX. While there are fees up front to get these cards it's still a good thing for students because the card is replaced if it is lost just like with traveler's checks. You can also reload them if they run out of money.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, kybourbon. I just opened another checking account for just the trip for my daughter so she'll have an ATM as a backup if there's a problem using the Visa or AMex products.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Someone mentioned on another thread about teens and money that under 18 years old couldn't get ATM cards. I don't know if that is true or whether they just need a joint account with a parent.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:15 AM
jay

When our daughter was 16 we got her a credit card jointly with my name on it. She went to Finland with the Rotary. Make sure that the visa product you are talking about will be able to get her a hotel room in case of emergency. That is the only reason we got it for her in case she got stranded. Don't get the cell phone. We had her use a MCI phone card from Costco. She has used it from Italy so it should work.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:21 AM

When I've traveled with teens they used the internet cafes to communicate. It really works better with the time difference as they are usually out sightseeing with their group all day and when they have phone access it's usually the middle of the night in the states.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Kybourbon, you're correct. Teens can't get an ATM card in their name. I just opened another account in my name and will give her the ATM to use. This way the card is only tied to the funds I put in that account for the trip. Thanks.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Jay, thanks for the reply. I won't have to worry about using a Visa for a hotel room since my daughter will be on a school sponsored trip. There will be about 30 of them all together. Good point though if she was on her own. I'll have to remember that. Still haven't decided on the cell phone. I just put the international calling plan on my phone for the 2 weeks. It only costs $2.00 and will be $.10/minute versus the over $2.00 charge/minute if I call her in her room.