Reload this Page >

Teatro San Carlo - worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 07:56 AM
Meg

I'm going to Naples in December and the opera season is opening that week. I could get tickets to The Martyr of Saint-Sebastian, but it would involve bringing dressy clothes, buying expensive (not neccesarily good seats) tickets and a lot of itinerary rearranging. Is it worth going? Or should I just take the guided tour?

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 08:30 AM
carol

Hi Meg, <BR> <BR>If I remember correctly, you're a New Yorker so I can use a NYC analogy. San Carlo is really a small house--probably smaller than the City Center and no where near the size of the Met or the State Theater, so there are a lot more good seats there. I saw Barber of Seville there and really loved the whole experience, but I don't know if it's worth itinerary rearranging, etc. It's a very beautiful, intimate and old-world theater, and you should certainly take the guided tour.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Meg

Thank you, Carol. This is exactly why I love this board, you remembered correctly that I was a New Yorker! I'm a little worried that there will not be any tours, it's opening week and they don't hold tours if there are rehearsals going on. I'm going to try. Can you advise if there are bad seats? I'm looking at seats in Barcacce sx (far right). Thanks again!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 06:25 PM
JB

I was just there in May (also for Barber of Seville) and thought it was great...for opera that is! (It was my first attempt at the real thing and probably the last time I'll be able to get my husband to go, but hey - what better place to start than Teatro San Carlo?!?) <BR> <BR>However, the theater had no a/c and was unbelievably hot in May, and so we sat there sweating in our nice clothes, but that's probably one thing you won't need to worry about in December. We dressed up somewhat for the event, but it wasn't too crazy. People were dressed nicely but no more than they would be here in Seattle for such an event...and we Seattleites are known as being pretty laid back about that kind of thing!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:28 AM
carol

You know what--because it's such an old theater, the seats are hardly banked at all and no matter where you sit, if you've got someone tall in front of you, you've got a problem! So go for the experience of being in the oldest opera house in Italy (yes, really)with wonderful acoustics and an excellent company, and don't worry too much about your seats.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 09:31 AM
michele

Meg, <BR>Did you buy your tickets online? will be there in March. <BR> <BR>M.

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 10:26 AM
Meg

Thanks all for the advice, still undecided... <BR>Michele, I have been looking at www.teatrosancarlo.it it's a really a great site, you can see a layout of the theatre with ticket prices and availablility -- in English!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 04:57 PM
richard j vicek

Good evening, Meg <BR>If you love opera, go for it!!!! <BR>The memories will last for many, many <BR>years!! <BR>Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...