Reload this Page >

Teatro San Carlo on 5/27

Search

Teatro San Carlo on 5/27

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:21 PM
JB

Teatro San Carlo on 5/27

Does anybody have any anecdotes or helpful information (ie. do they have a bar inside where you can purchase coffee or wine? Can you only exit/enter the seating area during intermission?) about the Teatro San Carlo in Naples? I have recently purchased tickets for my husband and I to attend "Il Barbiere da Saviglia" this May at the San Carlo and am beside myself with excitement! <BR> <BR>Although I've toured other opera houses (La Scala in Milan and Opera Garnier in Paris), this will be our first time to a real live opera production. I figured "What better place for an introduction than Naples, right"? so went ahead and took the plunge. Add to the mix it's an opera buffa (the lightheartedness of which I'm hoping will make the experience easier on my husband and that this opera was written/adapted by a Neapolitan (Rossini), and then factor in the beauty of the San Carlo and all those elegantly dressed Italians...che bella! <BR> <BR>So anybody, care to help me make it to May? Molte Grazie!

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 01:34 PM
JB

oops! Sorry all you opera buffs out there...as I said, I'm just learning! Just as I was logging off to go study up on this crazy opera stuff I just saw an item that says Rossini was born in Pesaro but relocated to Naples later in life. Well, at least (I believe) he lived in Naples while he wrote The Barber of Seville...close enough for me!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:08 AM
Joedy

OK, at the risk of sounding catty, OF COURSE YOU CAN ONLY ENTER AND EXIT DURING INTERMISSION! Why would you want to disturb anyone else's experience? If you are late the courteous thing that you are expected to do is wait until at LEAST in between songs, if not between acts. <BR>Here in Italy it is customary to tip the usher 1000 lira for each prson he seats in your group (that equals about 50 cents). The San Carlo does indeed have a coffee and cocktail bar and there are several cafes and pastry shops open across the street at Piazza Trento e Trieste. <BR>Rossini was held captive inside the San Carlo until he fulfilled his end of the contract. That is when the Opera was written. <BR>I hope you enjoy the show and Naples. I have lived here for 2 months and ADORE it!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 07:10 AM
JB

I guess thanks, Joedy? <BR> <BR>Geesh! It was just an innocent, excited question and OF COURSE I wouldn't want to disturb anybody! That's the last thing I want to do, and also the reason that I'm trying to figure out the protocol beforehand...precisely so I don't offend anybody! <BR> <BR>But also one of the last things I want is to be talked down to, at the risk of sounding catty, naturalmente. One of my very first posts and already I'm on the defense. Mi sento male.

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 02:56 AM
Joedy

I said "at the risk of sounding"...it wasn't my intention to talk down! I'm sorry! I am positive i asked as many if not more "blissful" questions before and when I arrived here! I hope you have a MARVELOUS time at the Opera! The San Carlo was the premier Opera house of the world for a very long time. It has burned down once but was rebuilt in 6 months. When Milan's La Scala took over the Neapolitans did not like it! Mlan also built Galleria Vittor Emmanuelle. In response, Naples built Galleria Umberto..bigger and taller than V.E!! <BR> <BR>Ciao! Joedy

Old Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:30 AM
JB

Joedy - Well I guess I owe you a more sincere "thank you" this time...maybe I hadn't had enough coffee yet when I read your earlier reply!?! <BR> <BR>PS - Thanks for all of the other things you've been posting as well. This will be our first trip to Campania and your info and opinions are much appreciated! JB

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 09:50 AM
travelers

Hi, Opera in Naples sounds great (no pun intended)! How can we get tix for April? <BR>Also, we are the ones who posted: "Naples, Capri, AMalfi, Teggiano" and have only had one reply... Please help!! <BR>Thanks

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 07:25 PM
JB

I purchased my tickets right off the Teatro San Carlo's website: http://www.teatrosancarlo.it It was simple and they have a secure server for your credit card info, but they don't mail you your tickets; apparently you instead pick them up at the box office before the show. Sounds easy and I've got my fingers crossed that it goes as smoothly as it sounds!