Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Teacher discount cards - Are they worth buying?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2001, 08:10 AM
KC

Hello. My husband and I will be taking our first trip to Europe this summer. We are teachers, and I have heard about a teacher card (ITIC) that is available for $22. It is supposed to provide discounts in some museums and other attractions, but I have not been able to find specific information about which museums accept the card. Has anyone purchased this card, and was it worth it? Thank you in advance for any help.

Old May 2nd, 2001, 09:58 AM
Danny

KC, I have looked into this as well, my wife is a teacher and one card covers the family, so if you do get one, only buy for one of you. I posted on here before about the card, but never got any response. Look into the site www.counciltravel.com for the application and the closest travel agency working with Council Travel. Please post back if you hear anything (good or bad) about the card. Thanks!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:06 PM
KC

Thanks for responding, Danny. It's helpful to know that one card would cover both of us. I read on one of the posts that someone was able to get a discount at some of the museums in Paris, but I can't remember which post it was on. I hope that he/she responds!

Old May 2nd, 2001, 01:33 PM
Sue

You can get into state/city museums *free* in Paris if you are a teacher. We take our school district picture IDs with a sticker affixed to the back that says the name of our high school (Lycee Bonanza) and the word "enseignant(e)" meaning instructor. We have never been refused. You can also get a reduced rate at other museums--and then at some private museums you have to pay full price. We always just ask when we get there. But Orsay, Louvre, Rodin, Versailles, etc. are all state/city museums, any museum with "national" in the title. <BR> <BR>The word for school is Ecole, if you teach at an elementary or middle school. <BR> <BR>Before our school started issuing picture IDs, we took CIEE ID cards (www.counciltravel.com) with us, but we each had one. I can't imagine that it would be good for the whole family!

Old May 4th, 2001, 09:10 AM
KC

Sue- <BR>Thank you so much for that information. We will bring our school ID cards. I haven't decided about buying the ITIC card yet.