Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tea in London - any Cadogan experiences? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tea-in-london-any-cadogan-experiences-355741/)

hodami Sep 6th, 2003 03:32 PM

Tea in London - any Cadogan experiences?

My sister and I will be traveling to London in approx 2 weeks and would like to have tea one afternoon during our stay. We've read numerous reviews on Fodors about other locations, yet we'd like to learn more about afternoon tea at the Cadogan hotel. It seems to be less pricey than other places (it's 12.5 pounds per/person I believe) yet it's still listed as a recommended tea experience on two websites we came across. Anyone here have any input? We've found minimal information on it. If we don't hear more about it, we may opt for Dorchester instead.

Thanks in advance!

caroltheanglophile Sep 6th, 2003 04:36 PM

I haven't had tea at the Cadogan or the Dorchester but did have a sublime tea at Brown's Hotel. Impeccable service, more food than you'll need for the rest of the day, and an elegant atmosphere. This is where Agatha Christie used to have tea, and she based her book "At Bertram's Hotel" on Brown's. It is quite pricey, however. I had tea there on Mother's day, though, so it may have been more expensive than usual just that day (24 pounds!) In the 12 pound range is tea at the Orangery behind Kensington Palace - but I found the service so-so and the food okay, but certainly not lavish. Hope this is helpful!

ateabag Sep 7th, 2003 03:00 AM

I have had tea @ the Ritz several times-something I think everywoman should do once in her lifetime-just to see the room. I think I read that it was voted the prettiest dining room in Europe? Also at Browns, the Orangerie, & other places. I haven't had tea @ the Cadogan hotel but seems that I have read good things about it, as well. If I had to choose just one afternoon tea to have in London, I would choose the Dorchester-you will feel like a queen. The food & service are unsurpassed IMHO. Didn't the Tea Council just vote the Dorcester-the best afternoon tea in London, as well? Sadly, I do not live in their wonderful city so can not offer an insiders opinion. If you have your heart set on one, I would make reservations from home, so not to be disappointed. Whatever you choose, I am sure that you will have a wonderful time. Enjoy!

MelJ Sep 7th, 2003 06:15 AM

My sister and I had tea at the Cadogan about 8 years ago. It offers a sweet, truly London experience in that it's a small parlor in a litle boutique hotel. Very chinzy atmosphere. The waiter was in tails. I liked it better than the large hotels with the piano and huge room with overlapping conversation. This was quite intimate.

You do know that the Cadogan has a colorful history? Lilly Langtry lived at the Cadogan and Oscar Wilde was dragged out of there when arrested for--well--homosexual acts. There are newspaper clippings on the walls.

Enjoy London!

mamc Sep 7th, 2003 09:50 AM

We had tea at the Cadogan this May. The tea was excellent, the parlor in which it is served is charming, very English and very quiet. There were lovely flowers everywhere and the service was attentive but not intrusive. That said, however, I think tea at the Ritz or the Dorchester(where I have not been) or Browns (where I have been)should be experienced. However, if you want a pleasant, tasty tea with more scones, cream, jam and pastries than you can eat, the Cadogan in very nice.

hodami Sep 8th, 2003 12:31 PM

Thanks for the information on tea at the Cadogan. Sounds like a nice place with slightly less grandeur than the large hotel teas. Quaint and charming are fine by us, and it still sounds like a very nice experience. For $20 per person savings over the larger hotels, it sounds like we'll go ahead and make reservations there.

jahoulih Sep 8th, 2003 02:39 PM

Here's a link to the poem by John Betjeman about Wilde's arrest, with the famous lines:

"Mr. Woilde, we 'ave come for tew take yew
Where felons and criminals dwell:
We must ask yew tew leave with us quoietly
For this is the Cadogan Hotel."

http://www.kategreen.org.uk/Oscar.htm

hodami Sep 8th, 2003 07:05 PM

Thanks for the poem! The Cadogan's history will certainly add to the fun of the visit!