Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taxis in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/taxis-in-rome-336141/)

NathanCLA Jul 12th, 2003 03:22 AM

Taxis in Rome

Anybody here who knows how much a taxi costs from Vatican City to the Spanish Steps?

And also taxi from Spanish Steps to Fiumicino Airport with the evening penalty rate?

Where can I find about taxi rates and flagfall in Rome?

We can only cover these places in one day, then head to the airport for our flight to Amsterdam. Thanks.

peach_rose Jul 12th, 2003 08:35 AM

I don't know how much a taxi would cost, but there's a website called www.guestinitaly.com where you could get a driver. When I used them last year, the driver was very professional and drove a spotless, late-model Mercedes.

I just checked the rates -- 63 Euros for a car (up to 3 people) and 83 for a minibus (4-8 people). This is a little more than I paid last year, but from what I've heard, it's probably cheaper than a taxi.

Anyway, just a thought. Have a great time -- I'm jealous!

StephenG Jul 12th, 2003 09:52 AM

We were in Italy last November. Took one Taxi ride from Termini to Borgese Museum. Was at rush hour and the fair is based on time not miles. It was less than 10 euro with tip, probably a similar distance that you are needing to travel. To say the least the drivers are amazing and drive everywhere but on the sidwalks to get you to your destination as fast as possible.I would say you everyome should take Rome Taxi at least once.
As far as shuttle to the airport. We got a flyer while standing in line at the Vatican and arranged a 5 am pickup for 4 person in van for 60 euros. Very professional on time and goog driver.Would do that again, infact next time I will try the shuttle to and from.

NathanCLA Jul 12th, 2003 02:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. 60 euros converted to falling US dollar would be a bit too much for 2 people.

Would there be any airporter service/van that goes between Fiumocino airport and the Spanish Steps, for less?

Thanks again.

jody Jul 12th, 2003 03:20 PM

First of all..I am 64 and I can walk it...from Vatican to Spanish Steps in less than 20 minutes! Taxi fare should be less than 7 Euros!
From Spanish Steps to airport I use www.limoservicerome.com...about 42 Euros!

StephenG Jul 12th, 2003 03:27 PM

Fare was per person and we were 4, you would probably pay about 15 to Termini and a taxi to a hotel will probably be more and is way less convenient. Actually if you have noticed the dollar has begun to trend back $1.13 yesterday down from $1.19 a month ago.
Still it is all a bargain compared to US travel of the same caliber.

Calamari Jul 12th, 2003 08:50 PM

The distances you want to travel will not break the bank if you take a taxi. Beware however, there are 32 "special city" Taxi's that charge a flat 18 euros no matter how short the distance. They have small signs in the back windows. I was traveling with some Italians when we accidentally grabed one of these cabs outside of the collosium to go to the Parthanon. It should have been 6 euros. Overall I was impressed with the larger cars now being used as Taxis. Plenty of room for bags and additional passangers.

KayF Jul 13th, 2003 12:59 AM

There is a hotel shuttle that operates from Rome airport to all hotels. We booked with them on our arrival even though we hadn't booked our hotel through them. Cost was 10.50 euro each and they leave about every 15-30 mins. They dropped us at our hotel and for our return, we just rang them the day before to arrange a time. Pick up a flyer at the Hotel Reservations Desk after you exit customs and immigration. There are at least 3 Hotel Reservation Desks that we saw but one had a big sign with all the details on it (in English).
Kay

ira Jul 13th, 2003 03:54 AM

Have you considered taking the metro from the Spanish Steps to Rome TE and the shuttle to FCO?

Shuttle schedule is at www.trenitalia.com (enter Roma aeroporto as destination)