Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taxis in London and Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/taxis-in-london-and-paris-200719/)

Betty Apr 16th, 2002 06:14 AM

Taxis in London and Paris

How expensive are taxi rides in London and Paris?Need two prices - 1. from Paris Nord to area 1 (Rue de Rivoli). and 2. from Tower Hill Underground Station to Victoria area (will be traveling late at night). Are the drivers nice and easy to deal with in both countries?

Wendy Apr 16th, 2002 08:15 AM

Can't comment on London but from Gare du Nord (I am assuming) to Rue Rivoli will probably run you about $7.

janis Apr 16th, 2002 01:55 PM

Unless you are traveling after midnight the best way to get from Tower Hill to Victoria is by Tube. It is safe and a straight shot on the Circle or District lines. The folks leaving the Keys Ceremony, St Katherine's Dock, etc will be taking the same tube and you will not be alone.

Betty Apr 16th, 2002 04:20 PM

Actually, it will be about 10 pm when we travel from Tower Hill back to Victoria. (we are going on the jack the ripper walk) We are two ladies and didn't know if it would be safe to travel that late. So you think it would be?

pete Apr 16th, 2002 04:51 PM

London Cabs are great. Drivers are usually nice and talkative sometimes quiet and businesslike. Very professional. London cabs are fairly expensive maybe 10 pounds for that trip although its been a couple years since I've done it so someone else may have better info.<BR>The tube would probably be perfectly safe but you may see some interesting people.

sandra Apr 16th, 2002 05:15 PM

as far as cabs in london as of last april i would say that trip will run you about 20 pounds. London cabs are very expensive compared to paris and nyc. the drivers are great and full of stories, usually we found the longer the story the farther out of the way the cab driver went

Mel Apr 16th, 2002 07:46 PM

Betty: The Jack the Ripper walk BEGINS at Tower Hill, but ends at the Ten Bells pub in Whitechapel. They'll tell you how to get to the tube stop (which I can't remember right now--Liverpool Street??). I'll be perfectly honest, that was the only time in all my visits to London that I was at all nervous on the tube. Next time I'd opt for a taxi back to the hotel.

Betty Apr 17th, 2002 09:06 AM

Oh! I didn't realize we wouldn't end up where we started. That was good to know. I guess we will have to take the taxi - what about a bus , would that work?? Thanks for the input!!

PatrickW Apr 17th, 2002 12:54 PM

I should know where the Ten Bells is in Whitechapel, but it will almost certainly be in easy reach of a Tube station - the people who organise these walks are professionals after all! If it's Whitechapel or Aldgate East stations, you take a westbound District Line train straight to Victoria. If it's Liverpool Street or Aldgate, you take the Circle Line straight to Victoria. <BR><BR>At around 10pm, the worst that is likely to happen is people who are a bit loud from being over-refreshed. Every tube platform has a help button to press if anything untoward happens, so if you are at all anxious, stay near it till the train comes, and avoid large groups of noisy youngsters. But there really aren't likely to be any problems.

janis Apr 17th, 2002 01:34 PM

My advice was before you mentioned the Ripper walk. PatrickW is totally correct - London walks almost invariably start and end at or very near safe tube stations. The vast majority of folks will arrive/leave by tube and this particualr walk is VERY popular. You will be with many other people taking the same tube after the walk.

Buckingham Apr 17th, 2002 01:41 PM

But you have to take a taxi at least once--they are so much fun!! The essence of London, I think.

GGinSF Apr 17th, 2002 02:38 PM

Make sure you get an official licenced taxi w/ a meter, not a 'gypsy cab'. Although the real London cabs aren't cheap the drivers are honest and know the city in & out. The unofficial cabs that pick up fares on the street can really overcharge and sometimes don't know where your destination is located.

Sharon Apr 17th, 2002 03:10 PM

My mom & I took the Jack the Ripper walk & took the tube back, I believe it was from Liverpool Station - it was not a far walk & the guide did give directions. Several other folks from the walk..two United stewards, a husband/wife, two women traveling together & a single woman who we had met on another walk earlier in the week joined us on the walk over to the station & onto the tube. Since this walk usually has a large number of people, at the end just look around & ask who else is going to the tube - that's how we all hooked up -it was very pleasant since we were all talking & laughing of our doings in London & I'm sure all felt more comfortable in a group. I'd been to London on numerous business trips & was used to late travel on the tube after business dinners & such and never have had a problem. But if you feel uncomfortable or nervous, then take a taxi. But I think you'll find there are usually many friendly people on the walk(s) who are in the same situation as you.

Betty Apr 18th, 2002 08:27 AM

Well, if some more folks are going back to Victoria, we will tag along with them. But if we HAVE to take a taxi, how can you tell if it is a "gypsy" taxi?? Thanks again everyone for the input.

GGinSF Apr 18th, 2002 08:49 AM

The real cabs are London Taxis (very big car, old-fashioned looking, black or sometimes red). Real cabs have meters and the driver's licence will be displayed. <BR><BR>The unofficial, unlicenced cabs can be fine but there's no guarantee so it's best not to chance it. They'll look like a regular car and they don't have taxi meters (so they can make up whatever charge they want). If you're trying to flag down a (official) cab they'll often pull over but I just waive them on.