Reload this Page >

Taxis in Italy/Travel with Children

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:47 PM
Laura Noble

I made a typo in my last post. I meant to ask if anyone knows if taxis from Florence have built-in car seats. If not, can anyone recommend the best way to get to downtown Florence with 2 small children, stroller, luggage, etc.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:13 PM
taxitom

Built in car seats in taxis? Laura, you've been a soccer mom too long. Wake up and smell the expresso.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:16 PM
sandi

I was going to ask if you expected built in car seats in cabs in New York? Then don't expect them in Florence.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:17 PM
sandi

I'd just strap them in, cross yourself and learn the phrase "please drive carefully" in Italian.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:17 PM
Rex

Downtown from where, Laura? Two parents doing this or one?<BR><BR>This seems like an important question, not a target for our disdain. I don't specifically know the answer (might be different for airport versus train station), amd depending on the ages of the children, and the specific destination of your hotel. Might even be worth your while to NOT stay IN the center of Florence per se.<BR><BR>More info will yield a better answer in this case.<BR><BR>And I would strongly urge telephoning your hotel directly and asking this question.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 02:37 PM
taxitom

Oh come on Rex, get off your high horse...have you ever seen a built-in car seat in a taxi ANYWHERE? It was a ridiculous question.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:14 PM
Rex

I think she already knew the answer to the first question.<BR><BR>I guess I was thinking of the second half of the question:<BR><BR>&lt;&lt;If not, can anyone recommend the best way to get to downtown Florence with 2 small children, stroller, luggage, etc.&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>This deserves help from someone who can speak to this need, preferably with the voice of experience. <BR><BR>In this case, I can not.<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:11 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:16 PM
Lexma90

I don't have experience with transport in Florence with children, but plenty of experience in other places. I've never heard of any taxi anywhere that has car seats, even in the U.S. where car/infant seats are required by law (though of course I haven't traveled everywhere!).<BR><BR>A cab is the easiest way (other than a rental car, and I wouldn't want to have one of those in Florence) to get anywhere with 2 young kids & all of their stuff. Buses and such work if all you have is the kids and the stroller & a backpack or day bag.<BR><BR>When we travel with our 2 young children, we have the car seat for the one who's still required to be in one, for the airplane ride (we leave the older kid's booster seat at home). If we're visiting somewhere where we will not be renting a car or riding in that of a relative, then the only time we use the car seat is in the cab on the way from the airport to downtown. All other cab or bus rides, we just hold on to the kids & hope nobody has an accident. I'm a big believer in car/infant seats on airplanes, and an airplane seat for every child, so I can't give advice on if you have no car seat at all with you (other than the obvious of just doing without in the cab).

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 09:31 PM
patty

I agree with Lexma - their own seat on the plane sitting in a car seat is a must for every young child flying. Then the question would be how do you fit 2 car seats in the taxi...

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 03:20 AM
Laura

To those of you who provided some information, thank you. To those of you who provided insults, I suggest that next time you plan to be rude, you at least make sure that you are right. Despite your insinuations that I am provincial and naive,I can assure you that in Frankfurt, where I am currently living, built-in child car seats are readily available in taxis. I was simply wondering if these types of taxis might also be available,upon special request, at an international airport freqented by many many tourists. After the replies I received, I doubt I will look to this forum again for any civil discourse on travel.

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 10:29 AM
Rex

&lt;&lt;I doubt I will look to this forum again for any civil discourse on travel&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>trying to look at the glass as half full - - and crossing my fingers that this means you MIGHT come back here seeking info - - and sharing the experiences you've gained in Florence with us here.<BR>

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 05:52 PM
noname

Laura: Don't take the things people post here too personally or too seriously. There are a lot of posers on this board and info is not always correct, and conversation is not always genteel. That's just something to have to take or leave. Welcome to cyberspace.