Taxis in Bilbao ????

Search

Taxis in Bilbao ????

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taxis in Bilbao ????

HELP Are there taxis in Bilbao? I have not seen any written material with the word "taxi" with regards to Bilbao. We will be coming with luggage and have no problem taking busses but REALLY hope for a cab from the airport to our hotel.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM

I don't recall seeing or not seeing cabs when we were in Bilbao... but a quick search on Yahoo came up with several taxi companies:

http://www.infotaxi.org/city-492.htm

And I found several threads on tripadvisor. Just search for Bilbao tax on Yahoo or Google.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much iowamom.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:05 PM

Grandma, you are flying into a spanish town of around 400.000 inhabitants, and with an airport serving a very extended region ... of course there will be taxis waiting for you at the airport

You might have to wait a little bit if you arrive at the same time than other flights, but no problem.

BTW, their colour is white in Bilbao(some of the Mercedes at the airport are silver, but thatīs because they belong to other towns).

Bye, Cova
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:46 PM

Thanks Cova, I was about to tell Grandma137 about the horse drawn carts and unruly mules we see so often on the cobblestone streets of old Bilbo.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:05 AM

Horse carts were forbidden last year, have now been replaced by human rickshaws. No luggage allowed and they donīt go as far as the airport.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:49 AM

Mikel ... donīt tell me that ! I was so looking forward to the carts tonight ... I will have to walk all the way home (if the flight doesnīt get diverted to Vitoria, of course).

Grandma, sorry for our silliness, but the question was calling for it . You can find some very helpful information in the Bilbao tourism website :
http://www.bilbao.net/bilbaoturismo/

Bye, Cova
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM

Tell the pilot to drive carefully, its quite windy today

have a nice weekend!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 08:34 PM

Okay, I've had half a bottle of wine and probably posted WAY too much tonight (although I've had some nice responses) but this one totally made me laugh.

Don't get too smart with yourselves you clever Spaniards or folks living in Spain (whose posts I LOVE to read, and whose Northern Spain I can't wait to get back to), but yeah, I suppose there are a few cabs in Bilbao.

All said, you've got to love someone who calls herself Grandma137. Go Grandma! Hail that cab! See the Guggenheim!

Not an Iowa Mom, but a mom who was born in Iowa!
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

OK. Now that I know there are taxis is Bilbao, I need to know best way to get from airport to the Hotel Silken Indauxtu. (We will be flying from Barcelona) Is bus service adequate or should we be using the infamous Bilbao Taxi Service?

Next question. We will be taking a bus (ALSA) from Bilbao to Santiago Compostela 3 days later. Where is the bus station located? I think I must be in early senility because I can't find it on the map. We have an early bus (6 a.m.) and I am "assuming" we will need a "taxi" to take us to the bus station.

Are you just shaking your heads in disbelief over my ignorance??? Hubby and I usually drive a car when we travel but for this leg of this particular trip we have decided to use other means of transportation.

Thanks in advance. Your help is truly appreciated and I have no problem with "tongue in cheek" responses. Life needs a little more humor anyway.
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM

Iīd get a taxi (rickshaws are cheaper, but donīt get to the airport , about a 20īride and around a 20 euros fare.

Buses to Santiago (thatīs a long ride) depart from Termibus station, located in the map just by San Mamés soccer stadium. Metro San Mamés, canīt miss it. From Silken Indautxu, a 3 minutes ride on a ri...on a taxi, one stop on the metro (I think metro service starts at 0530, but not sure).
Old Sep 6th, 2008, 05:08 PM

There is a bus that goes from the airport to Plaza Moyua and I don't think that is too terribly far from your hotel... and it is only 1.10 euro per person, if you are interested.

You can find more info about it here:
http://www.spanish-airport-guide.com...ort-buses.html

My mom and I took it a couple of years ago and it was super easy.
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 07:18 AM

The metro wonīt work for grandmum so early in the morning. The nearest metro station for her is Indautxu, and the first metro on working days at that station is 6 oīclock in the morning. It would be different on a Sunday, because the metro runs all Saturday night. The best thing will be to ask your concierge to order a taxi for you.

Given that grandma mentioned having some minor mobility problems in other threads, I didnīt recommend getting the bus from the airport. The bus runs from Termibus to the airport, and stops in Moyua on the way there.

The bus trip to Santiago is going to be long, I hope you are ready for it.

Rgds, Cova

Ps. Donīt tip the rickshaw driver, they wonīt accept it
Old Sep 7th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cova for your input.

According to the ALSA time schedule, the Eurobus leaves Bilbao at 6:00 and arrives at 14:45. Not too bad and it appears the bus takes a pleasant route. We have driven all over Europe and like to occasionally give husband some time away from the wheel. Naps are a good option too.
We will definitely have our hotel order a cab to get us to the bus station, although "rickshaw" sounds like more fun.

We are so excited about seeing this part of Spain. We fell in love with Spain 2 years ago as we travelled from Madrid to the south. Decided then that we must return to see Barcelona and the Northern region. Beautiful beautiful country, terrific October weather, great food, amazing architecture and truly friendly people.