Taxi websites in Paris

Old May 24th, 2000, 10:35 AM
Jan

Taxi websites in Paris

My husband and I are traveling to London & Paris in August and we decided to use the Eurostar from London to Paris. We're going to have plenty of luggage and I would prefer take a taxi to the Hilton (Eiffel Tower). I can't find any websites for taxis to find out what the cost would be to our hotel. Does anyone know of any websites?

Old May 24th, 2000, 10:53 AM
Rex

Not to be too cynical, but I don't know where you can find internet-based taxi fare estimates for point A to pint B in any city in the world.

I was just at Chicago Midway airport Sunday and I couldn't find a reliable estimate of a taxi fare directly face-to-face with drivers or dispatchers. In fact, I was verbally abused for even asking ("apparently you can't afford a cab, can you mister?")

Old May 24th, 2000, 11:11 AM
Jan

Rex,

Just so you are aware, in London I found blackcablondon.com and in Chicago (I happen to live here so I know) you can get prices for cabs at cityofchicago.org.

Old May 24th, 2000, 11:25 AM
Rex

Too bad there aren't internet connections on the sidewalk outside Midway!

FWIW, the resolution of my dilemma went like this: a dispatcher told me no one wanted to quote a fare because my destination was "too close" and wouldn't result in much of a fare. We reluctantly got in a cab even though I was not at all convinced that he had any idea where to take us. the second time he stopped (at a dunkin donuts) to ask for directions, I asked to have our luggage removed from the trunk. He asked "you planning to pay me?" to which I asked if he planned to hold my luggage hostage. He asked if I wanted him to call the police, and I answered "GLADLY!" the whole thing remained civil. The police came, sided with me, and the officer offered me a ride after I volunteered to give the cab driver $4.00 (the mimimum to get in a cab at Midway; the meter showed $19.00 at that point from his driving around in circles).

And as an aside, the Chicago taxi commission hotline was of no use to me whatsoever; I tried them on my cell phone while waiting for the police to come.

Old May 24th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Christina

You may get info on the cab rate per km or mile, but I doubt if you'll get info on taxi rates for a specific route as cab fares aren't flat rates, it depends on distance and elapsed time which varies depending on traffic (as well as addons for luggage, special times of day, number of passengers, etc). I suspect Rex thought you wanted to know the exact rate for that route, not general info on price per km or whatever, which it sounds like maybe you do. That Chicago site, for example, only gives rates per mile or something, it appears to me. The London site seems to really be an airport shuttle service that has a flat fee from the airport to town, not really a taxi service that gives you fare quotes for variable routes within London. In any case, a taxi from Gare du Nord to the Hilton will probably cost about 100-150F during daytime when traffic is moderate to busy; it could be more if there's really bad traffic; I think I paid about 175F once from Gare du Nord to Montparnasse in midafternoon, which is about the same distance, but traffic was really bad that day. There are hefty surcharges at nighttime and maybe some other times, like Sunday, I'm not sure, and you pay 6F per luggage piece and a 13F fare to start. I think there's a surcharge for getting one at the train station, but not much. If you just want general info like this, many guidebooks have it, in fact, I realize this is a radical idea, but you might just consider getting it from Fodors, for example, right here on this website where they give you such info (and much more) in the Essentials info on cities you can get from their Miniguide section, which has detailed info on taxi rates. If you don't have a good guidebook, I'd suggest you get whatever info you can on these cities from Fodors miniguides, they are very good for basic info. Might as well plug the sponsor.