Taxi to Vence / Antibes ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our ship docks at MonteCarlo 8am-12 am, & we had planned to see Vence,St. Paul, & Antibes.
Should we take train to Cagnes Sur Mer or Nice and use a taxi for Vence ?. Any one know how much a taxi would be ? Availibility ?
Or is a car more practical at e 125.00 ?
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:09 PM

I imagine that taking a taxi to and from Cagnes or Nice to Vence could run into beaucoup bucks. You could certainly get a rental car for less than 125€--for that amount for one day you ought to be able to get a car and driver.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:48 AM

If you decide to rent a car, check out the prices on the AutoEurope and Europecar sites.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

Tried all daily rentals, best price econo- auto. is Alamo at e74++, But at Nice RR Stn.; gas,+ train/taxi Monaco-Nice =115-125. Most have 3 day min.,like Auto-Eur/Nova.
Cagnes-St.Paul is 6-7 Mi. according to Michelin. So thought taxi if 15-40 round trip, probably more econical and less hassle. I think Antibes may be skipped over; traffic & not much to see,
& will spend time in Villefranche/Nice instead.

You may be right re driver, anyone rent an independent taxi for day trip for say 100-125 ? From Nice or ???
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:32 AM

I have to disagree about there being nothing to see in Antibes--there's the Picasso Museum and the Marché de Provençe, for starters, and the port and the old part of town. However, I do agree about traffic: you can easily spend an hour getting into and then out of the town, and if you have just the one day for touring it might not be a good idea. About the only good way to approach Antibes is to get there for breakfast around 8 a.m., which is not an option for you. However, the drive along the coast from Nice to Antibes is beautiful, and you can continue on and through Juan-les-Pins.

I would suggest going first to St.-Paul, then Vence, perhaps Mougins, and finishing up in Vieux Nice if you haven't been there before. That would make for a less hectic day than trying to incorporate Antibes.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate imput; Mougins ?, another must see place, next time. Everyone seems to warn about traffic in Nice/ Antibes. I think I'll train it, less worry, return car by 1740, in Nice, etc. First time jitters I guess.

Monaco-Antibes is e13. return PP, so will take train to Cagnes, taxi St.Paul, again to Vence & return to Cagnes. If time train to Antibes, bus /taxi around Cap d'. If not enough time, return via
Vieux Nice, Villefranche , then to ship, well before 2300.

Sound like a plan for a day trip ?
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Nice traffic isn't actually as bad as that in Antibes, which, like St.-Tropez, had pretty much just one way down into the town and back up. You have a very good plan, one that will allow you time to walk around St.-Paul and Vence without feeling you have to run. Vieux Nice is much easier to reach and the same charm of old Antibes, including the wonderful open-air market in the Cours Saleya.

Have a great time, and let us know how it went.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Hey, Undie,

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I might tap your brain, again regarding the Riveria. Sounds like you know it very well.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:17 AM

We have friends who live near Grasse and have spent some time visiting them there, as well as exploring Provence in general about a dozen times. Next in September.