Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taxi to Orly from Invalides? (Cost & time) (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/taxi-to-orly-from-invalides-cost-and-time-1031143/)

skatterfly Nov 29th, 2014 10:51 PM

Taxi to Orly from Invalides? (Cost & time)

Hi everyone,
We need to get out to Orly on a Sunday (late-morning) to pick up a car at Europcar (from there we drive to the Loire). With 2 kids, the luggage, and the fact that it's a Sunday, we'll probably just have the hotel call us a cab.

About how long should it take? Approx cost?

thanks,
skatterfly

Jeff801 Nov 29th, 2014 11:15 PM

Paris taxis are limited to three passengers. I don't know what they do if children are very small.

The trip should take some 20 minutes and cost about 40 euros.

But, rather than deal with uncertainty about passenger space and luggage, you might consider making a booking with www.drive.gt. We have used them frequently over the last two years and have found them reliable and very pleasant. They are slightly more costly than a taxi, and far cheaper if you are caught in heavy traffic.

Sarastro Nov 30th, 2014 12:32 AM

Paris taxis carry up to 7 passengers and luggage. On a Sunday afternoon, it should take only 15 to 20 minutes to reach Orly from les Invalides. The base fare should be about 30€, there is an additional fare (3€) for the 4th and subsequent passengers and a 1€ fare for the 2nd and subsequent bag placed into the trunk.

It would be a great deal easier to pickup a rental at Montparnasse rather than going all of the way to ORY. It would also save the taxi cost.

Gretchen Nov 30th, 2014 03:18 AM

Fortunately Sarastro has the better and more correct information. A hotel can always call an appropriate size taxi for the party travelling.

skatterfly Nov 30th, 2014 09:01 AM

Thanks all!

Sarastro... Thanks for the suggestion. I was *just* getting ready to retort that the Montparnasse Europcar office would probably be closed on Sunday, but alas, I checked and it's not! Now comes the *real* truth... I think we're a little intimidated of driving in Paris so we didn't investigate the option. (Don't know why... we've driven into and out of Florence a few times during weekday traffic about 20 years ago, but we were fearless 20somethings then.) Anyway, google maps shows it's a pretty straight shot out to the A6A. And it'll be a Sunday morning, so even less traffic. We'll definitely consider this option now. It certainly would be easier and shave 30 minutes off our travel time.

Sarastro Nov 30th, 2014 10:35 AM

Montparnasse to the périphérique, exiting to A6 is extremely easy, even on a weekday. Just be careful about the numerous speed limit changes along A6 before you reach A10.

If it were a weekday, I would recommend one of the many rental car offices around les Invalides. You´d save the location pickup surcharge and could walk to the office from your hotel.

AJPeabody Nov 30th, 2014 10:38 AM

The way to deal with getting out of Paris in your rental car is to locate the nearest large street that goes straight out to the Peripherique. Then go either clockwise or counterclockwise to your route. Very easy.