Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taxi or reserved car from Athens Airport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pardon my ignorance but is it okay to take taxi from the airport to Grand Bretagne or are we better off booking a car from the hotel. I understand taxis from airport cost ~ 30 Euros (correct??) where as car from GB is 50 Euros. Any input?? If taxis are a hassle we would rather just book a car. Do you have to negotiate upfront on the taxis? are they metered? We arrive at 6pm in the evening.
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM

The metro is really the fastest and easiest was to get into town at that time of day. It costs 10 euros for 2 people. The metro stop is right at the Grande Bretagne. The Athens metro is very clean and very safe and quite easy to use.

But if you have a lot of luggage or just aren't a metro kind of person, then yes, it is perfectly ok to take a taxi from the airport to the GB. Just get in the taxi queue at the airport, and get in the next cab available when your turn comes up. The cabs are metered and you should make sure the meter is on. As you say, the cost should be around 30 euros, and if it deviates much from that, let the doorman at the GB deal with it.

As for having the GB arrange a car, I did it once, but only because I had an ungodly amount of luggage. It's not necessary except in that kind of unusual circumstance.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:56 AM

Eleni is absolutely right on all points! Just to add a further observation: all the taxis now have (or should have!) a little card facing the front seat, which displays in Greek and English all the tariffs, including the small amount added for luggage. So there should be NO argument!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:50 AM

I agree with Eleni and Nikoleta, that you should definitely check that the meter is on. Apart from what is written you have to pay extra:
3€ for airport pick up
2,70€ for toll
and finally 0.30€ for every piece of luggage. Don't pay a euro more!!
I'm really sorry to say that as being greek but our taxi drivers (the majority) will try to steel you. It's a disgrace!
And as Eleni mentioned the metro is still a nice and easy alternative!
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Original Poster

So this extra payment is for the regular taxis? What do you think the fare will be to GB? Am I just better off taking the car to GB from the hotel for 50 Euros?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:29 PM

The total fare for a regular taxi from the airport to the GB will be around 30 Euros, depending on the time of day it could be a little more and it could be a little less. The 30 Euros will include what is on the meter and the items that cristine mentions. Here are the precise details on how the fare is calculated (the rates are new as of a couple months ago which is why they differ a little from what those cristine lists):

Meter starts at : 1.00 €
Rate per km tariff 1 (within city limits): 0.34 €
Rate per km tariff 2 (outside city limits): 0.64 €
Night tarif 2 - 24:00 - 05:00: 0.65 €
Waiting time (per hour): 9.10 €
Radio taxi - immediate appointment : 1.60 €
Radio taxi - appointment in the next few hours : 2.65 €
From and to airports: 3.20 €
From ports, railway stations and bus terminals : 0.86 €
Luggage charge per item over 10 kg: 0.32 €
Minimum Fare (Athens): 2.65 €
Minimum Fare (rural areas): 2.85 €

I think that saying the majority of taxi drivers try to steal from you is an exageration. Some do, some don't.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM

Here's some more info on Greek taxis you may find useful:
http://www.athensinfoguide.com/gettingaroundtaxis.htm

Bottom line is I've taken taxis to and from the airport countless times without a problem. When going to the GB I've always felt, rightly or wrongly, that I'm less likely to be cheated because I know the hotel staff will step right in to solve any problem with the taxi driver and the taxi driver knows that too. Don't worry!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 12:47 AM

Eleni, thank you for the detailed breakdown - this will be extremely useful! I agree - I've hardly ever had a negative experience with Athens taxi drivers: recently the one who picked us up after midnight refused to take any extra money for the short trip and even rounded DOWN the figure on the meter!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 12:59 AM

As far as I recall my past visits to Athens taxis have a fixation : they try and often succed in overcharging.
Why don't you call the hotel and ask how much should a taxi charge from the airport to the hotel, they can also inform you if you have to negociate the fare or if they have a meter. I believe they have a meter, but they have all kinds of ways to try to cheat. At least this is my experience.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 08:35 AM

YIKES Graziella! Athens taxis DO have a meter. Folks here aren't guessing or speculating or pretending. The rates they can charge are regulated by law. The legal rates are posted above.

I have personally taken a taxi to the center of Athens, including directly to the Grande Bretagne, more times than I can to count (I live part-year in Greece). In the last year, the fare for two people, depending on the time of day, the amount of traffic, and the amount of baggage, has been as low as 24 Euros and as high as 35 Euros. Usually it's more like 30.

A person should NEVER EVER try to negotiate a fare from the Athens airport with a taxi driver. Also, a person should NEVER EVER take a taxi from the airport EXCEPT from the OFFICIAL taxi queue. If you find a driver willing to do negotiate a rate or jump the queue, it means that you are dealing with a lawbreaker and someone who is likely to cheat you. Taxi drivers MUST by law charge you off the meter and pick you up from the queue. People who try to beat the system by negotiating rates or dealing with "gypsy cabs" are simply volunteering to be cheated.

For anyone who is able, the very best way to get into downtown Athens is to take the Metro. Even my husband, who is very adverse to public transportation in general, has become a believer in the metro. As I said earlier, it is clean, safe, fast, easy to use, and you don't need to worry about what the taxi driver is or isn't doing. These days, we only take a taxi during hours when the metro isn't running, when we have too much stuff with us to make the metro practical, or when other unusual circumstances arise. Otherwise, it's the metro all the way. Even my elderly mother-in-law agrees!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Eleni, i don't usually take taxis as i have a car, but i take a taxi only to go and return from the airport or port. When i go to the airport they don't steel me (probably because they are afraid of the police officers there). But unfortunately 90% of the times that i return home, they try to steel me! And the worst of all is that they're trying to steel me 10-15euro (not 1 or 2). So maybe i've been unlucky but my experience is not good at all!!!
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 12:00 AM

That's really too bad cristine -- I guess I must just be lucky (knock on wood). I think the taxi drivers are less likely to cheat people going to the GB for the same reason as you say they don't cheat you when you are going to the airport -- they are afraid the GB staff will turn them in.