Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taxi or RER to Hotel Bonaparte (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/taxi-or-rer-to-hotel-bonaparte-340076/)

MissKelsey Apr 9th, 2008 06:52 AM

Taxi or RER to Hotel Bonaparte

We are leaving for Paris in less than 2 weeks and staying at the Hotel Bonaparte. It is a name I keep seeing on these boards. Hoping someone can tell us the best way to travel from CDG Airport?

Travelnut Apr 9th, 2008 07:14 AM

If you take the RER, you'll need to transfer to a metro (line 4) to get close to the Bonaparte. It is between stops St Germain-des-Pres and Saint Sulpice. You can transfer at Gare du Nord or Saint Michel - I don't know which is easiest.

A taxi would be direct to the hotel but cost more, of course.

adrienne Apr 9th, 2008 07:49 AM

Why don't you take a shuttle - cheaper than a taxi (approx. 50 Euro) and less stressful than the RER. Leadershuttle rates are 32 Euro for 2 people including bags. You can tip the driver a few Euro on top of the fare and it won't break the bank.

Michel_Paris Apr 9th, 2008 08:27 AM

"Best" is a mooshy word.

Cheapest is RER (and probably fastest), but easiest would depend on you comfort level with public transit and your quantity of bags. FYI, I use either RER/Roissybus/Air France bus as my modes of transport.

So if I were going there, I'd RER to St Michel, switch over to Metro (using same ticket) and take either line 10 to Mabillon or Line 4 to St Germain or St Sulpice (both lines intersect RER ast St Michel). The three stops are roughly equi-distant from the hotel (you can enter the address in the ratp.com site and get a map of area with RER/metro stops on it)

I don't mind taking my suitcase on to train, transfering, and rolling it a couple of blocks. Your situation may be different. For ~9 euros, I'm willing to lug a bit.

ira Apr 9th, 2008 09:04 AM

Hi M,

How many of you and how much luggage?

For 2 people with more than a carryon each, I suggest a shuttle.

Otherwise RER to St. Michele. Line 4 to St. Sulpice.

((I))

MissKelsey Apr 9th, 2008 09:30 AM

Thank You
There will be 2 people with one large bag and one carry on each.

If we go the shuttle route will we need to book in advance? I read on another message board that a shuttle can become an issue if the plane is early (or more likely late).

Appreciate the help

ira Apr 9th, 2008 09:35 AM

Hi M,

We have had good luck with
www.beeshuttle.com and www.paris-blue-airport-shuttle.fr/index_en.php

IIRC, you call them (free) on arrival and they tell you where they will get you at the airport.

((I))

Guenmai Apr 9th, 2008 09:39 AM

Take a shuttle....airport-connection.com Happy Travels!

klondike Apr 9th, 2008 08:10 PM

We have always considered taking the shuttle a Poor Man's sight-seeing tour. We have yet to be the first ones to get dropped off and we enjoy the scenery as we see made the rounds. They are used to the airline schedules and you call them upon landing--it's never been an issue to not get a pick-up.

Hotel Bonaparte would be more of a trek than I'd want with your size/amount of luggage.

Jane196 Apr 10th, 2008 03:25 AM

Three weeks ago we took the bus in from the CDG and then the metro to our hotel in the 7th. When we entered the metro their were no ticket attendents and we had to use the machines for a ticket. It was confusing for us and soon a line formed behind. If it wasn't for a kind man who helped us we would have had to trudge back up the stairs with our carry-ons and get a taxi. When it came to returning home we got a van service. It was a lot easier and only cost 17 euros a piece.

off2CU Apr 11th, 2008 02:30 PM

We stayed at the Bonaparte our last night in Paris last summer. You might email them and see what shuttle service they recommend. They arranged for our shuttle service going back to the airport and it worked great.

I forgot to get the name.

I'd recommend taking a shuttle just because you might be tired and not ready to navigate the metro especially if this is your first time. You could take a taxi but price wise you are probably better of with a shuttle.

Robespierre Apr 11th, 2008 05:03 PM

Why not do what you would do on any other train trip? Train to town (in this instance RER of course), then taxi from train station to hotel. I'd get off at St-Michel Notre-Dame RER.