Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taxi or public transport from Ruzyne, Prague Airport? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/taxi-or-public-transport-from-ruzyne-prague-airport-356472/)

deej Sep 9th, 2003 01:44 AM

Taxi or public transport from Ruzyne, Prague Airport?

Many Thanks for the replies re: Prague in November and tipping.

I have another question so if anyone has any suggestions, i'd appreciate it. What should we do? Take a tram/train, bus or taxi from Ruzyne airport to our hotel, The Koruna Hotel Opatovicka 16, 11000 Praha 1?

I have heard that you can pre-book your taxi before you depart and when you get to your destination, your driver is waiting for you in the arrivals hall. I'm not sure how much this would cost though or whether it's just easier to get to our hotel under our own steam? Any ideas?

Thanks Deej

marcus Sep 9th, 2003 04:53 AM

Taxi drivers in Prague (and a lot of Eastern European countries) are renowned for overcharging. If you're up for the extra hassle try the bus, your Hotel may be able to tell you what stop to use. If you do get a taxi make sure you agree a fare that you know is reasonable beforehand. However you get there, Prague will be worth it. Enjoy!

Giovanna Sep 9th, 2003 08:05 AM

Deej: I booked pickup by Prague Shuttle before we left on our trip: www.prague-airport-shuttle.com. Printed up our confirmation and took it with us. Our driver, a pleasant young Canadian, married to a Czech girl, was waiting for us when we arrived. He pointed out some things enroute to our hotel, and gave us some tips about dos and don'ts in Prague. Was well worth what we paid (about €21.00).

Marcus is correct about taxi drivers and we were warned to be careful. The most trustworthy company appears to be AAA Taxi. Check with your hotel on this.

Christina Sep 9th, 2003 09:18 AM

I don't believe there is any convenient public transportation at the airport, at least not to city center.

There are airport shuttle vans right at the curb, you do not have to reserve ahead, and they have fixed rates. It's very easy.

Graziella5b Sep 9th, 2003 09:46 AM

Hi Deej, a few years back we took a taxi.We bying went first to an official Booth that there is at the airport, you cannot miss it, the girl gave us a voucher with the fixed rate to be paid to the driver.
So when we arrived we paid exactly what the piece of paper said. plus tip.
However a very important clarification better have small denomination bills
because if not they might try not to give you back the change. This umpleasant thing also happened to us on a second visit to Prague, the drivier smiled all the trip to the hotel
and when we paid him with a large denomination bill he tried, to keep the change. No way. But it was not an ideal situation.

Graziella5b Sep 9th, 2003 09:47 AM

I meant we went first to an official booth in the airport and were given this voucher with the amount to be paid and directed to a line of taxis.

Intrepid Sep 9th, 2003 11:01 AM

Prague taxis can be notoriously crooked (similar to some in Budapest). Make certain you agree on a price beforehand if you use one..problem can be KNOWING what is a reasonable price. I would e-mail (if possible) the hotel and ask them that very question. Enjoy Prague.

gualalalisa Sep 9th, 2003 11:30 AM

Because there have been so many warnings about crooked Prague taxi drivers on this board since I started planning my trip, I just called my hotel, the Four Seasons, as Giovanna suggested, and they said they will send a limo for us!

Thanks, everybody. This takes a lot off my mind since my hubby is a somewhat nervous traveler and I can now lookI'm forward to having the trip from the airport to the hotel go smoothly - thanks to all of you!