Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taxi or Metro from Gare du Nord to Rue Lourmel,

Jun 26th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Me again, looking for advice on how to get to our apartment on arrival into Paris from London. It will be a Thursday afternoon and our apartment is in Rue Lourmel 2mins walk from Lourmel metro.

To my not very experienced eyes, it appears we would have to get from gare du Nord to Magenta then change lines to get to Lourmel. I think I'm right in saying I should just get a cab? There will be 3 adults with large suitcases. I think I've just answered my own question, unless anyone else can suggest a car service or similar. I presume it will be at least a 25min cab ride?
Thanks
Jun 26th, 2010, 10:00 PM

Yes get a cab. Why do you want to fool around with train transfers and wasting time. Three of you can easily share a cab without breaking bank. And frankly you are on vacation. Why waste time. In thery if you can pay for vacation, you can pay for a cab.
Jun 27th, 2010, 08:42 AM

This is just personal preference, that's all you'll get, as to whether people will ever take taxis vs. public transportation. Obviously, if there is a metro stop near where you are going and you think that stop is acceptable to your final destination, you can get there by public transportation somehow. No way in the world would I do that to a stop like that one which involves multiple transfers and is not just on the RER, but on the metro, and upon arrival in a city with my baggage after a long flight (and I live in the US). Are you going to be coming from Australia? then I presume you will have been flying for days (just about).

To take public transportation, you'll have to get over to the RER stop rather than just walking out the doors probably about right in front of the baggage claim to the taxi stand. At the RER, you'll have to buy the correct tickets to where you are going.

The line to Lourmel does not go to Magenta or anywhere near it. YOu could pick it up at Republique or the Opera or the Madeleine metro stops. There are various ways you could do it, but it will involve two transfers. (eg, Gare du Nord to Republique on line 5, then line 8 to Lourme -- or Gare du Nord to Strasbourg St Denis on line 4, then pick up line 8).

I think it will take over 25 minutes, I'd guess closer to 45, that's the bottom of the peripherique.

There are several threads on here about group shuttle vans if you prefer that. such as Shuttle Inter
Jun 27th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Taxi its is.....thanks. I kinda new that, but I have to check incase someone has a 'little' secret they want to share...
Jun 27th, 2010, 03:32 PM

The only secret is where to find the taxi queue. As you face the gare, it's on the left. If you can't find it, one of the gypsies will lead you to it for a euro
Jun 27th, 2010, 03:39 PM

Good luck on getting a taxi quick. The last time we had that idea, there was a long, long line. So we headed to the metro. But we were on line 4 all the way to our stop. May not be good for you. If the train personnel offers to reserve you a taxi, that would be a good idea. It was offered to us on Thalys, but we thought it would be no problem getting our own-- wrong.
Jun 27th, 2010, 03:55 PM

My little secret would be Bus 42. The route originates at Gare du Nord (so no problem getting a seat with space for your bags) and travels down rue de Lormel in the 15th.

The ride is very scenic, past Opera Garnier, Place de la Madeleine, Place de Concorde, over the Seine, past the Tour Eiffel.

If you can manage those bags on a train, you can manage them on a bus.

Or, just take a taxi.
Jun 27th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

thanks djkbooks, a good option to have.
Jun 27th, 2010, 11:19 PM
tod

No Metro! Its a pain and should never be attempted with LARGE suitcases - even little bitty ones suddenly take on a weight you can hardly manage (as a gal) and that leaves my DH struggling up flights of stairs with his, mine & ours.
Not fair.
The taxi is the easiest option but I'm so suspicious of their meters especially since I do not speak or understand French well enough to query anything. We once got held up in traffic and the meter just ticked along gaily.....

I like djkbooks's suggestion of the bus. Now that is a good plan as its on one end and off the other with maybe a shortish walk.
Jun 28th, 2010, 06:26 AM
ira

Hi AD,

>There will be 3 adults with large suitcases. I think I've just answered my own question<

Probably, unless you are adventurous and under 45.

Jun 28th, 2010, 11:28 AM

The taxi is the easiest option but I'm so suspicious of their meters especially since I do not speak or understand French well enough to query anything. We once got held up in traffic and the meter just ticked along gaily.....

There is nothing suspicious about that. If you are in a cab, the meter will be on, regardless of whether you are stuck in traffic or not. A store clerk is paid regardless of whether a customer buys something or not, why wouldn't a cab driver get paid whether moving quickly in traffic or not?
Jun 28th, 2010, 11:34 AM

A cab is easier with luggage, however the queue can be huge. The best way is to try and join the queue ASAP. As soon as the train arrives in Paris, dash up the platform and take a right to head for the taxi queue. Often, if you get there quick enough, the queue is just a few deep. If you wait until the half the people on the train join it, you have a long wait ahead of you.

Good luck!
Jun 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Even as anventurous 47 yr olds a cab it is.

Thanks again
Jun 28th, 2010, 10:36 PM
tod

Cherrybomb - I didn't mean to sound as if the cab driver should turn the meter off when stationary, but merely that if you are delivered to your destination without to many holdups it would be cheaper than sitting in traffic a lot of the route, which can double or even trebble the taxi fare.
So when Aussiedreamer thinks the ride will take approx.25min, that could end up longer than anticipated and more expensive.

As a matter of fact we were so jammed tight in the traffic, our taxi driver advised us to get out and head for the nearest metro as we had to board the Eurostar to London.
What a flipping nightmare!