taxi in Paris

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 06:28 AM
Charlotte

taxi in Paris

Our group of 5 will be arriving in Paris on Monday afternoon on the Eurostar. Do you think taking a taxi(2) would be the best way to get our hotel in the 6th district. I was afraid that the RER or Metro would not be a good choice with our baggage. Have any ideas? Thanks.

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 06:40 AM
Kristine

Unless you have a ton of luggage, the Metro is fast and efficient. The taxi's get stuck in lots of traffic, drive wild and are expensive. Our recent taxi ride made me feel like I could have walked it twice by then.Buy your Carte Orange right away and utilize those. Its a weeks worth of unlimited travel in the city. Buy it for zones 1 & 2. Take a small passsport photo with you and affix it to Carte you can buy at any Metro station. Its well worth the price if you have a few days in Paris.

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 07:07 AM
margaret

The RER is terrific, but you DO have to find the station you want, buy tickets
etc...it can be unnerving..You'll be on overload when you arrive anyway...With 2/3 of you sharing, the taxi fare wouldn't be bad..I thhink I might take that option. (I thhink it's about $30.00 total, but check that)
If you DO take the RER be careful,as pickpockets abound, as I found out...margaret

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 07:57 AM
s.fowler

When we arrived in Paris off the Eurostar we literally walked out of the station and into a well-managed taxi line. It was long, but it moved fast. Unless you are on an extremely tight budget and/or your hotel is not in the central arrondissements I'd opt for the taxi.

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 11:11 AM
Lori

Take a taxi. Unless you like the idea of dragging luggage up and down stairs in the Metro or have only carryons it's simply more convenient to take a cab. Why wear yourself out trying to manage luggage on public transportation .. it is no way to start a holiday.

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 12:58 PM
wendy

having arrived in paris from london via the chunnel we took a cab and it was great, way less nerve racking. make sure you have the hotel name and address written on a piece of paper to hand to the cab driver unless you speak very good french! then sit back and enjoy the crazy ride!!

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 06:00 AM
elaine

You might also want to consider the following
Airport Shuttle, a van service. You call them when you arrive, they pick you up at your terminal and take you to your hotel. They may be picking up others as well, so you may make stops at other hotels before you get to yours.
The e-mail address is:
[email protected]
They have a desk at the airports, but encourage booking in
advance so you don't have to wait. Toll-free # from US is 888-426-2705.
Their web site: www.parisanglo.com/clients/
ashuttle.html.
In March 99 it was 89FF per person for two or more.
You can reserve prior to leaving home (they'll ask for a credit card for a deposit). Go to the courtesy telephone near baggage claim at either Orly or CDG. You'll be directed to a nearby gate where the van will pick you up. I have read mixed reactions on this service. Some have praised it, some have said they were kept waiting for the van for a long time. It's probably luck of the draw.

Old Jan 24th, 2000, 03:20 PM
elvira

Charlotte, get the taxis. I love the RER and the Metro, and alone or with two or three others (and women who've done subways before) it's the only way to go.
HOWEVER, trying to get 6 women (4 who'd never been on a subway before) from the Gare du Nord to our hotel (which was only 50 yds from the RER stop, AND we didn't have to change trains) was a nervewracking nightmare. I wish that I'd gotten us two taxis, and spent the extra ff for the peace of mind.