Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taxi from termini to Campo di Fiori in Rome

Oct 5th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

We're planning to take a taxi from the station to our hotel near Campo di Fiori. Can anyone tell me what to expect about how much it will cost? The hotel says 50 Euros, but I'm not sure if they're just trying to sell their own taxi service, or it that's what it will really cost.

Thanks!
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:38 AM

That sounds reasonable, it might be less however. Upon arrival, the taxi stand is right outside in the front and you could ask a driver then. The ride to the Campo Dei Fiori is only 25 mins away so not that far. A much less expensive option would be to take the #64 bus from Termini (bus stand in front as well) to Campo dei Fiori. Of course, it is dependent on how much lugguage you have, it might be more convenient for you to take a taxi. (I always travel with just 1 carry-on, so I can take local transportation with ease). Enjoy the Campo district, it is a wonderful area. You can buy fruit, vegetables, cheese, bread from the morning market and pack a picnic lunch to eat along the Tiber River (benches) or in the Villa Borghese, or in the many parks throughout the city. It's a lot of fun! Buon viaggio
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:41 AM

50 Euros is probably for a hired car.

A taxi will be much less. We just took a taxi from the Termini to the Spanish Steps with 2 people (4 bags) and it cost 15 Euros.
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM

It should cost about 8 Euro, absolute max 12 Euro.

Just make sure that you go to the taxi line in front of the station and wait for an official taxi (generally white, with "SPQR" on a burgundy shield). Do not accept any offers from the drivers who offer you taxis; they will definitely overcharge you.

Also, in the official taxi the meter should be set to Tariffa 1 (Tariffa 2 is for trips outside the ring road around Rome).

That taxi fare is outrageous. The fare is usually about $12 -15 USD for that trip.

Yes, that's about right, give or take a few Euros. Your hotel must actually be rather honest, because 99 per cent of the Rome hotels will quote you a price of between 55-60 Euros or more-and when you challenge, they suddenly go down, and say they've made a mistake! My hotel a few weeks ago in Rome asked if I wanted to use their shuttle service to Ciampino-how much I asked? Like, somewhere between 30-40 Euros-I just laughed, no grazie, credo di no!
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM

Agree. They're just trying to sell you something. Just get a regular taxi (licensed!) - it should run somewhere bewteen 10E and 15E.
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:47 AM

Maybe they thought you were coming from the AIRPORT?
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:50 AM

My guess is that the posters who agree with the 50 Euro cost are confusing from Fiumicino to Campo de Fiori and from Roma Termini to Campo de Fiori, which are two very different things.

Incidentally, the City of Rome has recently passed legislation that a taxi from Fiumicino to the hisotric center of Rome will cost only 40 Euro as of October 1, 2006. Whether the drivers will obey this (temporary) rule is another question altogether. Again, if you decide to take a taxi from Fiumicino to Campo de Fiori, only take a taxi from the official line and do not accept any offers made by drivers.
Oct 5th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your posts! I thought they weren't being completely truthful with me.

Thanks again!
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Mea culpa! I was thinking FIUMICINO NOT Termini! Are you sure they quoted 50 Euros to Termini? If so, that is a huge FREGATURA! It should only be around 8 Euros-maybe a little more, depending on time of day and traffic.

If they quoted you that rate, you should get on the official Rome tourist board website and file a complaint-believe me, I've done this with the national Italian tourist board, ENIT, (www.enit.it) and the local Florence tourism board and they were VERY responsive! I know also, that Rome city hall officals are very sensitive to complaints of price gouging of tourists, so you should really think about following up on this-you can go to www.romaturismo.it (website is in English) and their link "contact us" and then send them an email about your hotel's price gouging-you should get a follow-up response relatively soon.
Oct 5th, 2006, 09:38 AM

I agree with Barda and Eloise. About €8 from the railway station, but up to €50 from either airport. I did read a couple of weeks ago of the new obligatory €40 tariff but could not find the link again. I strongly wonder whether either yourself or the hotel mis-communicated as to from where the taxi was to start. were you both communicating fluently in the same language?