Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taxi from Gare de Lyon to hotel near Eiffel Tower

May 20th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

We are arriving via train at the Gare de Lyon and need to get to Hotel Miguet which is located near the Eiffel Tower - near the La Tour Maubourg metro stop off of De La Motte Picquet street. It will be pretty late so I was considering taking a taxi rather than trying to figure out the metro and deal with luggage. Anyone know the approximate cost?
May 20th, 2007, 02:49 PM

The minimum fare is 5.60 EUR. Rate B (evenings in central Paris) is 1.10 EUR/km. It's 7km from Gare de Lyon to the Eiffel Tower. There is an extra charge for luggage weighing more than 5 kilos.
May 21st, 2007, 03:35 AM
Original Poster

So perhaps around 15 euros?
May 21st, 2007, 05:33 AM

The Metro route is actually fairly straight forward.

From Gare de Lyon descend to the catacombs and take the Meteor route, Ligne 14 direction Madeleine.

At Madeleine transfer to Ligne 8, direction Balard and get off at la Tour Maubourg. (3rd stop).

My main problem with the Metro is all the steps. That is ok when I am not carrying much, but with European trip luggage, I usually have around 40 pounds.

I don't see many escalators in the Paris Metro system.

Although the cost would be higher for a taxi, I think you would be better off to take the taxi to the door of the hotel rather than wrestling with the luggage and the Metro.

Good luck.
May 21st, 2007, 08:09 AM

I took a taxi a couple of years ago from Hotel De France in the 7th to Gare de Lyon. The hotel estimated the fare to be 15€, but it was actually 23 €
May 21st, 2007, 08:35 AM

Just took a cab last week from Gare Lyon to Place Vauban (Invalides area) it was $27 euro for 4 people with luggage...
May 21st, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much - think it will be worth it to get the taxi and not to deal with luggage and metro (even though we do pack light) at 10 or 11 pm.
May 21st, 2007, 10:29 AM

We have had a variety of experiences with taxis to Hotel Muguet - have the address handy, most drivers don't know it. About two weeks ago we arrived at Gare du Nord and had a pleasant and relatively cheap taxi ride - under 15E. One year we got caught in a strike - that was horrible and expensive - finally let us off about 4 blocks away. Next time we tried the metro - I endeed up stuck in the train door with me inside and my bag (with $$$$, credit cards and passport) on the outside - that was mostly stupid me! then we got off at a station where we were supposed to change lines with a two story walk down and another two story walk up - double tylenol for my back please! I agree, take the taxi!