Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

taxi from CDG to ile de la cite - how much??

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi fodorites,

a week to go and we'll be in paris!

with all the posts out there about taxis, shuttles, private limos, RER, etc., i'm hoping you experts can answer this question for me...

we arrive into CDG at 9:40 am on a tuesday morning. deplaning, bags, customs, etc. will take maybe 1 hr - 1.5 hrs. so i'm hoping we will be out of CDG around 11 am...

at that time of day, how much will a taxi cost from CDG to quai aux fleurs on ile de la cite???

THANKS!!

Old Sep 15th, 2008, 06:38 PM

About 50 euros or less at that time of day.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

hi stcirq,

thanks so much for the estimate.

do taxi parisiens take credit card?

how much do you tip?

what would be a reasonable 'worst case scenario' estimate if we hit traffic??

THANK YOU!
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 04:54 AM

Be sure to take a Taxi Parisien - there will be a sign on the top of the cab saying so. Most of them take credit cards, but I did get into one at the Gare du Nord a few weeks ago that had a sign up next to the meter saying he did not - so I'd ask to be sure.

I can't tell you what the worst-case scenario would be - I suppose that would be some national disaster and you'd be in the cab for days....

You won't run into much traffic normally mid- to late morning on a Tuesday. If you do, the driver will try to find a way around it. The worst cab drive I ever took in Paris to the airport cost me 65 euro. The traffic was so bad the driver eventually turned off the meter. That was on a day when there were strikes, a bad storm, and several accidents on the peripherique.

I usually give the driver about 5 euros, a bit more if he's particularly nice or helpful.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 05:54 AM

I've had quite a few taxis in Paris that did not take credit cards, so you really need to ask if you must use one (I think they often have a sign somewhere if they do, but if you are in the taxi queue at CDG, just tell the guy in charge that you need one that takes CCs).

65 euro seems like a reasonable worst case scenario--well, literally if you were stopped in traffic for a very long time due to some horrific accident, I suppose it could cost more. I've never paid that much, actually, I think the top I've paid was 50-55 euro, when we did encounter some minor constructions or some blockades in Paris due to some demonstrations.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 06:10 AM

The metered fare and 1€ per bag.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 06:53 AM

What Ron is talking about is that your fare will be what is on the meter plus the baggage charge, lest you think he is overcharging you. Then a tip on top of that about what St.Cirq said. We have found that it is usually 45-50E including the tip. But that is how it all gets figured.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

i'm guessing if i pay by credit card, i will need to tip via cash??

hmmm...i guess i'll need to pay the whole thing by cash since i don't have any change - just large bills (20s/50s)...

thanks fodorites!!!
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 01:07 PM

Unless you have a load of bags, or there are lots of you, why not take the RER? That is the express metro. It runs straight from CDG (take bus shutle to underground train station from Terminal 1, or if you land at Terminal 2, the RER station is right under the terminal.)
Get off at St. Michel - Notre-Dame.
Depending on the metro you take (fast one or stopping at all stations), and the traffic jams, you may get in quicker than the taxi, and for much less.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 01:12 PM

I'm agreeing with Paul..in terms of where you want to get to, the St Michel RER station is probably an easy 10 min walk from your destination. If you are loaded down with bags, I could see taking a cab. But the RER is a good option, and will save you money.