Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taxi fare: Gare de Lyon to rue vieille du Temple

Mar 27th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

I'm trying to decide whether I should do a door-to-door shuttle service from CDG or the Air France bus to Gare de Lyon, which I would then need a taxi to my apartment.

What's the average price for this short taxi ride? If the cost of the bus and taxi is about the same as the shuttle service, I'll go with the shuttle service.

Thanks!

Monica
Mar 27th, 2007, 09:04 AM

The cost will depend on heavy the traffic is, but probably in the range of 5-8 euros.

You could also take the Roissybus to Opera and then a taxi. The Roissybus is somewhat less expensive (8.50 euros)than the Air France Cars and your taxi ride would probably be about 8 euros (maybe a little less).

The door-to-door shuttle will be simpler, but it won't necessarily be faster or hassle-free. There will be some waiting (to collect passengers at CDG, to drop them off at various locations, etc) - and sometimes finding your shuttle takes some time.
Mar 27th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kate for the information. I think after a long flight a door-to-door service won't be too bad. With those prices, the shuttle bus would be about $12 more. I have time to consider the Roissybus.

Thanks,

Monica
Mar 27th, 2007, 09:30 AM

Monica --

We just got back last week from a stay on the same street! We LOVED the location and the neighborhood.

If you don't have lots of luggage, I'd suggest what we did -- it was nearly effortless:

Take the RER B from CDG to Chatelet/Les Halles, then exit the station and walk down Rue Rambuteau to Rue Vielle du Temple...about a 10-15 minute walk, depending on how fast you can trot. It was about 8 euros per person.

(Note: Be careful not to get Rue du Temple mixed up with Rue Vielle du Temple, they're 4 blocks apart.)

RER B runs every 15 minutes or so.

I'm sure you'll have a great time! Bon voyage.

Mar 27th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi NanBug,

On all my previous trips to Paris I did take the RER, but thought I'd "splurge" and take a shuttle service. Right now I'm planning on one suitcase and bag.

Did you eat at any of the restaurants on Vielle du Temple? I also understand there's a grocery store heading north, about #73.

My friend and I are really looking forward to our trip to Paris. She arrives 2 days before me.

Monica
Mar 27th, 2007, 10:37 AM

There are plenty of small shops in the area, including convenience shops on most corners, if I recall correctly. I don't recall a major supermarket, but you won't starve: you can check what's around on www.pagesjaunes.fr.
Mar 27th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Hi --

I'm not sure about the grocery store at #73. We didn't go there, but did use the grocery store (Freshmarket or something like that) on Rue Bourg Tibourg, just south of Rue St Croix de la Bretonnerie. There are also a couple of small bodega-type corner groceries along Rue de la Verrerie, in case you need something late at night.

We were on a shoestring budget, but did have small meals at les Philosophes (#28) and L'Etoile Manquante (#34) -- great people watching, too. Check out the tiny bar at the Petit Fer a Cheval (#30), if you can get in or find a seat. There's a neat wine bar (no food) across the street at #31: La Belle Hortense.

We loved the falafel on Rue des Rosiers -- L'al Falafel. It's a hopping place, has been there since the 70's, and is open very late. You can sit down or takeaway. Chez Marianne, on that same street, was packed every night and looked reasonable and very good, but we didn't try it.

We had a very good dinner, somewhat middle-easterny (!?), at Epices et Delices (#53 rue Vielle du Temple). I had kefta and my beau had steak... plus incredible chocolate cake for dessert. The owner and staff are very friendly.

Amorino's at the corner of Vielle due Temple and St Croix has excellent gelato -- try the cafe and nutella.

I hope this is helpful. I'm so envious! We miss it so much already. Have a great time!
Mar 27th, 2007, 10:41 AM

Monica -- almost forgot!

Check out this link -- it's a listing of all the shops along the street, with their addresses and a small thumbnail photo of their facades. Very cool. http://tinyurl.com/ypo8dt

Mar 27th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information!

As far as the grocery store, I found it via this web site: http://marais.evous.fr/marais/rues/r...-du-temple.htm Scroll down to #76: n 76 >>> G20 - supermarché

This web site shows what's on rue Vieille du Temple and its cross streets.

Monica
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Oh too funny! We must have posted at the same time - same web site!

Monica
Mar 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Very funny!
I just can't remember that grocery store for the life of me. If it's there, I probably passed right by it in some type of chocolate or wine-infused stupor. Ha!
Mar 28th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Been going through www.pagesjaunes.fr and I noticed there's a wine shop next to my apartment!

Monica
Mar 28th, 2007, 07:09 AM

Take the Roissy bus and the 29 city bus, getting off at Vielle du Temple. The stop is on r. du Quatre Septembre, just off the Avenue de l'Opera.
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

The Roissy bus sounds good, but then I'd have to deal with the local bus and making sure I get off at the right stop. A taxi would be a better option.

Monica