Taxi fare from Chalon to Dijon , France

Old Jan 20th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Taxi fare from Chalon to Dijon , France

My husband and I will be disembarking from a river boat cruise in Chalon and are wondering if anyone can tell us what the taxi fare would be to the train station in Dijon?

Thank you so much.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 01:52 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you mean Chalon-sur-Saone? that's very far away, about 70 km. I don't know the taxi fares in that area, but for estimates, I'd guess around 1 euro per km, so 70 euro. Some cities have really high fares, up to 1.75 euro but others can be a bit lower, but I'd guess that as about average.

You should take a train, both those places have train stations, and the train takes less than an hour, and there are many trains all day -- probably a couple per hour. Fare is 10-15 euro. You'll be right in the center of Dijon (more or less, not far).
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the information. I went to www.capitainetrain.com but could find only one train and that left Chalon at 22:00 and arrived in Paris, which is our final destination, at 23:39. No other schedules were listed. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 06:22 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, Chalon-sur-Saone to Dijon by taxi might be quite expensive. We once took a taxi from Pontailler-sur-Saone to Dijon at the end of our canal trip and it cost something like €50 for the four of us. Pontailler is a lot closer than Chalon; at least twice as long a drive. You should contact your charter company to see what they can arrange.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 05:06 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What date are you looking for? I just checked the real SNCF website for some random midweek day and there were trains about twice an hour. Maybe you aren't using their website correctly, if you look for a specific date and ask it to start the search at 21:00 hrs, you probably will only find one at that time of day. Most websites have a time clock you have to set.

I don't know what you are doing wrong. I just used capitainetrain.com and got the same info as on SNCF, trains all day, several per hour. You do have to make sure you start at an early time of day in the search, of course. Or maybe you are searching for a date that doesn't exist yet in the schedule (but then I wouldn't expect any to show). I checked feb 13th.

Why are you looking for trains to Paris, anyway? I thought you wanted to go to Dijon. There will be some with connections, of course (2-3), but with connections there also will be many, not just one near midnight (maybe there is one direct near midnight to Paris, who knows). I also checked capitainetrain from Chalon to Paris and found many all day long, but they require connections in Dijon or elsewhere.

If a place has a train station, you can get to somewhere else with a train station in France, bottom line.
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 07:34 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actual timetable Chalons - Dijon: trains about every 30 min from 5.54 until 21.38, plus the Dijon bound TGV from Nice which stops at Chalon at 23.15.
http://telechargement.ter-sncf.com/I...m-15-95395.pdf
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 10:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why not check with the cruise people? You won't be the first people who need to make this trip. You can also ask while aboard and likely find someone with whom to split the taxi cost...
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 02:28 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Of course, if you hate train rides and are glad to spend about 100 EUR, you may take a taxi.
But I suppose that other cruise people may rather go to Paris and will therefore board either 1 of the direct Paris bound TER trains (departure every second hr until 18.38, 3 3/4 hrs journey) or take any train up to Dijon and change there to a faster TGV (2 3/4 hrs journey).
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 02:42 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As I had mentioned in your thread on Trip Advisor (which you never returned to) the fare between Chalon and Dijon is 12.60€ and the journey takes between 40 and 55 minutes.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 09:09 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are going to Paris by train anyway (and that was the goal to get to Dijon), you might as well take the train to Dijon to begin with, a taxi really doesn't make any sense in that situation. If you were just staying in Dijon, it might if you really hated trains, split with someone else (it wouldn't be that bad a fare for 4 people on a per person basis) AND were sure you would only be charged one-way. Because a taxi driver from Chalon is going to have to get back home somehow, and time is money, as they say.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you to all for the helpful information . As you could most likely tell we are not seasoned travelers. I am sure I am doing something wrong on tne SNCF website. Will try again.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 12:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
...I gave you the timetable you asked for, however....
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 07:39 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why are you on the SNCF site? Yes, it is the most widely used site but depending on where you live you're likely to be redirected to the RailEurope website, which should be avoided. I've generally stopped referring people to the SNCF website for that reason and now suggest using www.capitainetrain.com. However, if you've figured out the SNCF website then that's fine but based on what you've said you're having trouble using both of these sites so if you come back and explain the issue people can help. Or if you can't decipher the train schedule you've been given because it's in French (which isn't much of an issue) people can explain that too.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 08:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And if you just want to look at the schedules you can go here:
http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Which has info for all of Europe and doesn't require you to sign up.
Old Jan 25th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for all your information. I'm all set.