Search

Hotel in Naples

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2013, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Naples

Hi, will be staying in Naples for 2 1/2 days. Have enough points to stay free at the Renaissance Hotel Mediterraneo. The location is very good, but reviews are very mixed.

Any thoughts? rather use points if I could.
Many thanks.
Old Jul 28th, 2013, 01:54 PM

I've not read the reviews, so I don't know what it is about the negative reviews that is making you hesitate, but the location of the Renaissance Hotel Mediterraneo is very good for sightseeing in Napoli and beyond, and for restaurants.

Generally, I try to look at more than one website for reviews. Both Booking.com and Venere.com are the places I go first to see if they have reviews for a hotel I am considering. Then I look at Tripadvisor and Expedia -- or anyplace else that posts user reviews.

As I am sure you already know, some negative reviews may not mean the hotel isn't good. People who complain about "lousy breakfast" may never have been in Italy before (Italians don't eat breakfast). Sometimes people blame the hotel for the fact they don't like Naples.

But if you read many reviews about key issues like lack of hot water, or broken fixtures, rooms not cleaned -- well, then it would be nice to use points but there are a zillion really nice small hotels and b&bs in Napoli with flawless reviews, all well located. You can use your points some other time.
Old Jul 29th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your practical post! the complaints are for the small breakfast and for the noise if you are under the breakfast room. The breakfast will be complimentary, so I will be happy with it. I think Marriott members just expected more from a Renaissance Hotel as they are usually very upscale. Funds are limited as I did not expect to be in Italy for so long - but who is complaining? enough to be there.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 06:23 PM

I just got home from a trip to Naples. (Family of 4) We used points at the Renaissance and at Hotel Piazza Bellini. I liked Hotel Piazza Bellini much more, but my husband liked the Marriott. Bellini was very quaint and very personable. We had a nice bi-level room. It is in middle of city center and you get a real feel for Naples. Also close to great national museum of archeology-must see if in Naples...the Marriott was more American - why want that in Italy? Yet was nice to be by harbor, castle, and galleria umberto and other landmarks. I would recommend nights at both to experience two different tastes of Naples. Let me know if you want other advice on Naples.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. Is It better to stay in Naples ir head down to Sorrento? Marriott would be free on reward points. We have only 2 1/2 days but have stayed on the Analfi coast before. I was just wondering if Naples is too hectic for our last few days in Europe. - or more authentic and interesting.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 05:45 AM

If you have united miles they should cover Hotel Piazza Bellini also. We used miles for both hotels. If your points are only at the Marriott, stay there without hesitation. It is a very nice , clean, classy hotel and you can still walk to the historic center. We were on upper floor but had no view just another building. Be sure to request upper level room with a view.The breakfast was plenty. We found all breakfast buffets in Europe are very different but quite good. I liked Naples for all the old architecture and loved the people. Some find it hectic and scary, but I am a small town and I embraced the culture. That's why we travel, right? I can give you some must see places. Also plan for at least 1/2 day in Pompeii if you have never been there. It was the highlight of my Europe trip!,!! Sorrento will be like other places you have stayed on Amalfi coast.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Please tell me about all the must see places you found. Have visited Pompeii before and plan to see Heruclaneum, maybe a boat ride to some place else for a day trip.
Many thanks! and any restaurants you especially recommend.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 12:20 PM

National Archaeological and Capodimonte Museums are musts.
There are a number of other archaeological sites in and around Naples. My spouse and I especially like Pozzuoli and environs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pozzuoli

You can also see part of Greek and Roman Naples right under the center of the city. I believe the entrance is at the Church of San Gregorio Armeno.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 12:22 PM

The one place I found in Naples that met my expectations was the Archaeological Museum. I would say it's a must see, in my book,anyway.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

I saw the Archaeological Museum 10 years ago, we plan to revisit it. The city needs a museum worth its collection. But so much wonderful art and beauty. makes our life style look dull!

Any restaurants?
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:48 PM

As others mentioned- The National Archaelogical Museum
By the hotel- walk down to see the Castle Nuovo, Galleria Umberto, Royal Palace with the 8 king statues in the niches,... They can give you a map at the Marriott.
We also enjoyed going off the beaten path and exploring the neighborhoods in the historic center and going through shops such as on Via S. Gregorio for nativity items and another market with soaps, pasta, etc...(I have to find the map with the name on it).
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 01:53 PM

Restaurants recommended here:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-and-paris.cfm
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:18 PM
Original Poster

Did anyone get to the astronomical museum? Appreciated the tip on Pozzuoli. It looked interesting to us too. We have only 2 1/2 days so would like to plan out the time for the must sees and then walk around the rest.

How is the smog?
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:19 PM

Moderate priced local food convenient to the sights of the "old city."

http://www.hosteriatoledo.it/

Do not leave Naples w/o trying the pizza; we like this place but there are so many great ones:

http://www.sorbillo.it/en/
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Wow! you all are great.

Looks like we are in for something different.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:36 PM

The Archeological Museum in Napoli is only a 20 minute walk from the Renaissance Hotel Mediterraneo.

Among the outstanding and unique sights of Napoli are the Cappella SanSevero

http://www.museosansevero.it/

and the majolica cloister of Santa Chiara (which is quite near your hotel)

http://goitaly.about.com/od/naples/s...enter-walk.htm

I also highly recommend taking the 20 minute guided tour of the Teatro San Carlo Opera house, which is also quite near your hotel

http://www.teatrosancarlo.it/teatro/visita-il-san-carlo

Also, if you stay at the Marriott, an 8 minute walk from the morning market of the via Pignasecca, the oldest open air market in Napoli -- which is saying alot, considering how old Napoli is.

If you have time for any of the places I mentioned above, they are all quintessentially Neapolitian.

For restaurants near the Marriott, Hostaria Toledo pulls in many tourists without losing its charms or flavors. Ciro a Santa Brigada is good value. There are also wonderful Neopolitan pastries and coffee just about everywhere you turn.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 02:38 PM

ekscrunchy and I were posting at the same time. If you want to eat at Hosteria Toledo, it is wise to make a reservation.
Old Jul 31st, 2013, 06:14 PM

Saving for 2014