Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Taxi fare, Centraal Station to Leideseplein?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2006, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to begin my stay in Amsterdam wrestling luggage into a tram. Does anybody know what cab fare would be from Centraal Station to bustling Leideseplein (American Hotel, Dikker & Thijs, etc.)?
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM

My guess (and that's all it is) is E10 - 15 depending on traffic, detour required, and your luggage. But why not ask the hotel if it's so important for you to know?
Old Aug 4th, 2006, 08:17 PM

Count on 15 Euro.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 04:10 AM

We stay just beyond Leidseplein and our fare was 13€ the last time we took a taxi. The driver may seem to take a slightly circuituous route but they have dedicated or expedited lanes they can use - it doesn't mean you're getting taken for a 'ride'.

The tram is quite easy -if- you have, say, one suitcase + one tote. There are at least 3 lines (1,2,5) that go to Leidsepleiin from Centraal and the stops are across the street and slightly to the right, signposted. There is only a slight step up to board - get on in the middle where the conductor's stall is and show your ticket or pass.

I bought a 72-hr pass across the street from Centraal (slightly to the left) at the GVB office. I couldn't figure out where to get one at Schiphol. I do think you can get strippenkaarts at Schiphol.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 04:13 AM

The taxi rank can be a bit aggressive - I think there are 'touts' that want to direct you but I'm sure you can go to the first taxi in line without any 'assistance'. You should have your hotel name and address written for the driver as (just like other cities) they are not all Dutch natives.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 04:29 AM

Logan, four of us (inc two teenagers) managed four large suitcases on the tram for the trip you describe with no difficulty. There was quite a bit of room for luggage. Good luck with however you go!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:02 AM

If you're coming from Schiphol, there's a bus direct from the airport to Leidseplein.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:07 AM

Of course, it depends how many are in your party. It may be more economical and convenient, with a party of four and suitcases, to indeed take a taxi.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Not coming from Schiphol, not traveling with companions. For this portion of my trip I'm on my own: and as my friend Travelnut knows, one medium-to-large suitcase and one carryon.

Since I tend to be pennywise and pound foolish (I'm paying too much for the big ticket items and stingy as the dickens on things like cabs), spending $20 plus tip on a short cab ride from Centraal Sta seems wasteful--but I will probably grit my teech and take the easy way out, saving my tram rides for that night or the next day.

"Tak."
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

LOL -- make that "teeth" I'll grit.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 01:17 PM

It's ok - I prefer to get the lay of the land in a new place before I venture out on public transportation. That's how I know about taxis from Centraal..
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 01:41 PM

Amen.

Sometimes it's great to throw caution to the wind, cast aside one's fears and doubts, live it up, party like it's 1999..

...and just take a cab.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 02:48 PM
MaureenB

We found the cabbies in Amsterdam a bit aggressive, especially at the train station where they surrounded us and jostled each other for our attention. I'd ask the hotel staff what they think you should pay, then negotiate that amount in advance with the driver, before you agree to go. One night our older kids took a cab back to the hotel from a concert, and the driver took them several blocks out of the way and grossly over-charged them. They knew the route, and were positive the driver had cheated them, but there wasn't much they could do but pay the fare.

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:05 PM

A reliable taxi can be ordered from Taxicentrale 020 677 7777--they were recommended by my hotel.