Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taxi at Berlin Friedrichstrasse train station (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/taxi-at-berlin-friedrichstrasse-train-station-1027581/)

Shanna Oct 12th, 2014 04:31 PM

Taxi at Berlin Friedrichstrasse train station

Greetings. I'll be in Berlin for a couple of days, arriving at the Friedrichstrasse train station. Does anyone know if there are taxis available, or a taxi stand, at that station? I'm not really interested in taking public transport lugging a suitcase after flying 8 hours from the US into Frankfurt and 5 hours on the train. I'll be pooped. Many thanks.

adrienne Oct 12th, 2014 05:34 PM

There should be taxis there but it's very easy to hail taxis in Berlin. You should not have a problem.

Phil Oct 13th, 2014 12:45 AM

Shanna:

I suggest a different approach:

As you will be travelling from Frankfurt airport to Berlin by train, you generally will have to change trains twice to get to Berlin Friedrichstrasse: first at Frankfurt Hbf (main station), which is pretty inevitable, and then at Berlin Hbf. Note that the last segment of rail travel will generally be by S-Bahn (which is "public transport") for one stop!

I strongly suggest you take a taxi from Berlin Hbf to your hotel: there will be lots of them and the fare will only be nominally higher.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Phil.

danon Oct 13th, 2014 03:34 AM

Agree with PP.

adrienne Oct 13th, 2014 04:26 AM

That does sound more reasonable. I wondered why the OP was terminating at Friedrichstrasse.

Why didn't you fly to Berlin with a change in Frankfurt? It should have been the same price as terminating in Frankfurt.

Dukey1 Oct 13th, 2014 04:35 AM

If you fly from the Frankfurt airport station you have to change in <B>either</B> Frankfurt itself <B>or</B> in Hannover but usually not both.

There will be many taxis waiting outside the main Berlin station.

adrienne Oct 13th, 2014 05:47 AM

<< If you fly from the Frankfurt airport station you have to change in either Frankfurt itself or in Hannover but usually not both. >>

What does that mean?

Shanna Oct 13th, 2014 10:23 AM

Thanks all. I was thinking Friedrichstrasse because it is near the hotel, art'hotel Berling Mitte, very close to museums. Phil, I think I'll take your advice and get off at the main station. Initially I was going to fly into Berlin, but this is a plane, train, automobiles kind of trip. I'll be going back to Frankfurt airport, renting a car and driving to Italy for a stay with Nightwriters at Spannocchia in Tuscany. Then back to the Pfalz to visit friends for a few days, then flying out of Frankfurt. I'm really gonna hate my suitcase by the time I get home! The real reason for Berlin is to meet with the sole immigration attorney who got back to me. I'm trying for a resident visa, but it's complicated because of the insurance issues, so that's why there's a lawyer.