taxi and transportation in london

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
taxi and transportation in london

Hello, I hope someone can help me with this.
i will be in London for 2 days, and then leaving early @6am my hotel to Paris via Eurostar.
The Eurostar station (st. pancreas) is 2miles away, but im a single women, and taking a tube, or walking at that time is scary...so,
How do i go about getting from hotel to train station???
How much can it cost me (worst case scenario) its about 2 miles away

also, should i pay for the hop on hop off bus, or buy a oyster card, or buy a travel card?

please help!
Thanks,
very confused
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:46 PM

I'm confused by your last transport question. The hop on/hop off bus is a tour bus that takes you around the sights of London. Is that what you want to do?

Regarding your other concern, London is very safe - no need to be scared in the morning! But just take a cab to the train station. The hotel concierge can arrange that for you.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks taggie, my question about transportation was:

Is it a better buy if i purchase a ticket for the tourist buses since i don't have to be figuring out the tube and all that, or should I purchase instead an oyster card or a travelcard.

the tube might be a bit confusing for me, but the tourist buses only run until 4:30 pm
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:59 PM

Medical note: the body organ is not related to either the early Christian martyr St. Pancras, nor to the station named in his honor.

Get an Oyster card and load £10 on it for all your getting around. Any unused value can be refunded when you're through with the card. The most you will be charged per day is the price of a one-day Travelcard, minus 50p.

You can get around to the sights yourself by city bus with this map: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...al_bus_map.pdf

What's the exact address you're coming from? There's probably a bus to St. Pancras that someone can recommend.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The tour buses are not for general transport. It runs in a round about route to take you past all the major sites with a commentary. So it is good guided tour. But it would not be efficient to just get from one place to another.

Even if you decide to take the bus tour, you will still need to take regular public transport (buses or the tube or taxis) to get around.

Generally, visitors do both -- take one of the bus tours if they want, and also take the tube/buses to get around.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 10:30 PM

There's no need to feel so nervous about using public transport. I guess you come from a place where it isn't common to use it (or there isn't any). London is not like that.

Public transport in London is not where you find only the very poorest or 'dodgy' people. EVERYONE uses it regularly. It's extremely safe - yes, even for single women - and at 6am you really have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Public transport really is the best way to get around London, unless you want to restrict yourself to things within walking distance of your hotel. The hop-on hop-off is a TOUR bus, not serious transport, and it's not feasible to use it to get around the city. Not to mention extremely expensive.

It's not hard to work out routes. Really. If you can read, you can do it. The maps are not hard to understand. The stations and bus stops are all very well signposted. The trains and buses have announcements telling you which stop you are at. Dont' be scared - 5 minutes into your first journey you'll laugh at your worries.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:47 AM

King Cross / St Pancras can be a little scary early in the morning. Take a cab. It will not cost you more than 7 pounds
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 02:23 AM

I agree with the others. Ask your hotel to call you a taxi when you check out in the morning. That way you don't have to tax your brain so early in the morning and it won't cost much, maybe about 10 gbp.

That being said, London is very safe and there will probably be more people than you think out at 6am on the streets and on the tube. But a taxi is just easier, especially since your hotel isn't too far away.

How long are you in London for? The hop on/off tourist buses are only good for a day I believe.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 03:16 AM

Can someone please explain to me how a 6 am journey up an escalator and then a few stairs from the tube plaform at KX to the Eurostar checkin is any "scarier" than at 9 am, midday or 11 pm? Or than a set of stairs anywhere else in the world?
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:23 AM
yk

Can you clarify a few things?

1) What time does your Eurostar train depart? Do you mean you need to leave your hotel at 6am, or you need to be at St Pancras by 6am, or does the Eurostar train actually leaves at 6am?

[If the train departs @ 6am, you need to be there by 5:30am.]

2) Where exactly is your hotel located, or if you don't want to divulge too much info here, what is the closest tube station(s)?

If your hotel is on a direct tube line to St Pancras/Kings Cross, it's easy enough to just take the tube there. But if your train leaves at 6am, the tube line may or may not be operating at 5:10am, that's why it'll be helpful to know what time the train actually departs.

3) London is generally very safe. If your travel day is on a weekday, there'll be plenty of people out and about by 6am. But if you're departing on a weekend, things may be more quiet.

4) If you're concerned about safety, the best thing would be wear a money belt underneath your clothing, and place all your valuables (passport, CC, $ etc) in the belt.

5) Get an Oyster PAYG for your 2 days of traveling in London.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi, no problem about revealing my location:

Lincoln House Hotel in Maryleborne.
I haven't booked the Eurostar because i haven't decided about 2 of the times
One train leaves at 5:45 am ( i think that one is too early, but i would love to get to Paris earlier)
the other is at 6:40 but that puts me in Paris at almost 11am (much later)
what do you think???
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 11:41 AM
yk

Are you going to Paris for the day, or are you staying in Paris for a few days?

The issue with the 5:45am train is:

You probably would need to get up by 4:30am the latest. Are you someone who can sleep well on trains? While you may arrive in Paris earlier in the day, will you be exhausted by 3pm and hence the extra hour you "gained" is offset by your overwhelming exhaustion?

I would pick the 5:45am train IF I were going to Paris for just the day, hence I want to maximize my time there. But if I'm going there for a few days, I'd opt for the later train.

From your hotel, you can take the tube (starts running by 5am) from Baker Street station to King Cross/St Pancras. It is a direct line with no change involved, and the tube ride is only 6 minutes.

But if you are nervous about taking the tube so early, it is a short cab ride (however, I am not sure if you can easily flag down a black cab at 5am... I hope the real Londoners can chime in on this).
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the reply,
I'm not just going for the day, im staying in Paris for 4 days.
you're right about the 5:45 am train, i think i needed other's opinion's.
the later would be better.

I'm wondering if it will be a long walk with my Luggage and all from my hotel to Baker st. ???
Also, you have a good point, will it be hard to get a cab at that time????
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 12:52 PM
yk

When I typed in your hotel's address into TFL's journey planner, it recommend taking bus 30 from your hotel to Kings cross/St Pancras. the bus stop is much closer to your hotel than the Baker street tube stop.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 04:50 PM

>>>will it be hard to get a cab at that time?<<<

Ask the person at reception to call you a taxi when you check out of your hotel. Couldn't be easier.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 02:40 AM

You can order a mini cab the night before - your hotel will do this for you. It won't cost more than a tenner.

In general I don't recommend taxis in London as they aer expensive and not that much quicker than public transport. However at that time in the morning I would take a cab myself.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:55 AM

If you'd rather spend £1 on a bus, exit your hotel and walk 50 feet north on Gloucester Place to Bus Stop R on the west side of the street. The name of the stop is Dorset Street (see map, below).

Board the next #30 bus (should be towards Hackey Wick) and press your Oyster against the reader next to the driver. If you don't have an Oyster, you must buy a ticket before boarding. There should be a working machine at the bus stop, but there might not be - so having the Oyster is definitely good insurance. Buses run every 6-8 minutes. You will be at St. Pancras International in 23 minutes.

Here is a map of the area around the hotel showing the bus stop: http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use..._496374CD1.pdf