Notices

Tavira Portugal

Aug 4th, 2016, 09:21 PM
Original Poster

Tavira Portugal

Our family of 5 (two adult kids and our new son in law) are planning on spending Christmas in the Algarve this year.
I want to spend the first week and the actual Christmas Day in Tavira and then either Faro or possibly another town for the following week. I have been spending hours looking for apartment and house rentals for Tavira and am wondering which side of the river is better to be on?
Which other city would you Algarve regulars recommend?
Our family is from the states and live in the Midwest and the UK so we are not looking for pool and sun/fun activities. Our enjoyment on vacations are sightseeing historic sights, nature,wine and great food along with just absorbing the culture of where we are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you-
Aug 5th, 2016, 01:52 AM

I'd stay on the western side, most of the good restaurants are on that side, the townhall area and the maj of the shopping.

I might well go to Faro but I suspect you would do as well to go more westerly for your second week. There are two of three options amongst the bigger towns and each has their attractions. The benefit of being in a larger town is there is a real local feel to it so Faro makes some sense.

Great wine, the Alentejo is a better bet as Algarve only has Cliff's toy winery. Still all the rest of the wine is shipped in.

Historic sites, then look to visit the cape.

Search this Thread