Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Taveler's checks (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tavelers-checks-396306/)

nolwood Feb 7th, 2004 08:29 AM

Taveler's checks

I reserved a room for 14 days in London. I had to send traveler's checks in pounds sterling for the first night. I obtained the checks through AAA. I notice that many hotels , esp B&Bs either do not accept credit cards or charge a 2% fee. So I thought maybe it would be good to get traveler's checks which I can pay for with my credit card. Do establishments generally charge a fee for using Traveler's Checks? With the exchange rate as it is I'll need to visit ATMs a lot to get cash to pay for hotel rooms.

ira Feb 7th, 2004 08:47 AM

Hi nolwood,

If your hotel accepts TC's without charging you a fee for depositing them and you get your TC's for free, it's OK.

I have had establishments in London charge extra for cashing TC's even when I have bought something from them.

You can ask your bank to raise the limit on your daily wihtdrawls.

m_kingdom Feb 7th, 2004 08:47 AM

Firstly, a little spelling would not go amiss. To mispell one word is misfortune, but two is carelessness.

Hotels always charge commission on currency and traveller's cheques, and never offer favourable rates. I find traveller's cheques cumbersome, uneccassary things - use credit cards, or better still carry cash, as I always do. Change up before you go say a couple of thousand dollars, maybe more seeing as you are here for a fortnight - pay for everything in cash - this way you know exactly how much it costs as it's all bought at one rate.

Enjoy London, as much as you can.

janis Feb 7th, 2004 09:13 AM

First of all - don't carry lots of cash. That is not a good idea of course since it is the only non-insured method. The others, TCs, ATM, Credits cards are all insured.

As for how to pay when credit cards are not accepted - the two things I do when faced w/ this are:

1) get a temporary increase in your daily ATM limit. My bank does this for me every time I travel outside the States. Then when I get back home I have them reduce it back to my normal limit.

2) I often rent a flat from an agency that gives a discount for cash. I talk to them and they almost always let me take 2 or 3 days to pay -- allowing me to hit an ATM for a couple of days and amass enough cash to pay the week's rent.

Gretchen Feb 7th, 2004 09:40 AM

Well, m_kingdom, since you made yourself the spelling sheriff, try "unnecessary".
Don't get TCs- use an ATM

ira Feb 7th, 2004 10:20 AM

Dear M_K,

I ran Nolwood's post and my own through my Word spellchecker.

I found one misspelling between us.

What was the other one?

nolwood Feb 7th, 2004 10:28 AM

Yes, Perhaps we shouldn't be quite so worried about spelling...especially because in most cases it's probably a typo.

Thanks to all of you for your advise...I'll have to tell my companion that he was right and I was wrong about T.C.s. Doesn't bother me much, though.

ira Feb 7th, 2004 10:40 AM

Uh oh, nolwood

Another one slipped through. You now have two errors on one thread.

Be careful. :)

nolwood Feb 7th, 2004 11:10 AM

DARN!!!!!!!

Patrick Feb 7th, 2004 12:31 PM

I don't mean to quibble about how you choose to pay, but I'm a little surprised at the suggestion that you might get travelers checks in pounds to save the 2% fee for using a credit card. The last time I checked at AAA, they charged nearly 5% on the exchange rate for buying TCs in pounds. No, there is no fee as such, but the rate is 5% worse than if you were charging on a credit card. So what you're likely to be saving is really actually costing you about 3% more than if you charged on your credit card at the hotel.

Christina Feb 7th, 2004 07:36 PM

I think Patrick is correct -- the AAA near me charges even more than 5 pct markup (I think about 7 pct). So if that's the reason you are doing it (to avoid a two pct fee for credit card usage), don't. Of course, if they don't take CCs that's another story.

Also, be sure to check fees for getting TCs with a credit card. I have never done that, but I think that might be considered a cash advance. I remember some rules about that, which is why I always pay for TCs with a check. I believe TCs are considered cash, not a product, when you pay for them with a CC.

ira Feb 8th, 2004 06:04 AM

Good advice from Patrick and Christina

suze Feb 8th, 2004 08:59 AM

Will you know before you leave which hotels or B&B's you will be staying at and their policies?

As for a 2% credit card service fee I personally wouldn't let that bother me. But if they do not accept credit cards, that's a different situation to plan for.

wojazz3 Feb 9th, 2004 02:50 PM

I love it when the spelling Nazis misspell. Traveller?s? Count your l?s. Carelessness indeed! That makes two.

Bill

jsmith Feb 9th, 2004 04:15 PM

Bill, travelers is correct with one or two ls. Two are British.

Andrea_expat Feb 9th, 2004 07:52 PM

I think (hope?) M_K was making a joke -

traveler's checks (US)

vs

traveller's cheques (British)

wealthy_backpacker Feb 10th, 2004 04:20 AM

I think M_K thinks that Americans also spell traveler like we do in the UK (ie, traveller). He thinks he is a know all but he doesn't seem to have been to a lot of the places he comments on - he is only good for reviews of posh hotels.

Kaede Feb 10th, 2004 06:07 AM

It is funny that people are more worried about spelling rather than answering the question. Spelling may vary from English speaking countries, but stupidity is universal. I would think ATM/Credit Card would still be the best bet. They tend to offer the most competitive rates and you can increase your daily limit pre-trip if necessary.

JonJon Feb 10th, 2004 07:38 AM

Let's just hope the person doesn't have the unfortunate luck to run into La Kingdom...who, to me, epitomizes the absolute worst in condescension.

m_kingdom Feb 10th, 2004 10:30 AM

Traveler or traveller, taveler still seems unfamiliar.

Sadly the Americans have bastardised (or would you say bastardized) the English language. After all "Taveler's checks" could lead to ambiguity - is it things a traveller should check before they travel, or a form of finance?