Tauck Tours - Freedom of Choice Dining?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken a Tauck Tours and experienced their Freedom of Choice Dining? Do you have full choice of the menu? Can you dine at anytime and sit with whom you please? Any other info you have regarding tauck is appreciated
Old Feb 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM

I took a Tauck Tour to Canada last year. The Freedom of Choice dining is great. There were set hours during which we could eat, but we were able to choose what time we wanted to eat within those hours. We were able to choose whether we wanted to eat with other people (whomever we chose) or by ourselves, which we did several times. Except for the last meal (which was a group dinner), we could order anything on the menu (including appetizer, main course, dessert, and soft drinks and coffee/tea). At the end of the meal, we just signed "Tauck" on the bill. It's great!
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 03:25 PM

I am also interested in other people's experiences with Tauck, because ours was different.
On a southern France tour a few years ago, when dinner was included, we had a set time to eat and ate in groups at several tables. On the first few nights, we even were assigned tables to help us get to know each other.
We could choose anything on the menu, but one night I noticed we got a special menu -- not the regular one. A few times wine was included with dinner. The meals were great.
Perhaps the tour director did this because our tour was only half full because we went about a week after 9/11 and a lot of people had cancelled.
There were three nights when coat and tie were recommended. However, that's not my thing and after the first night I left the tie behind as did several other men.
Overall, it was a great experience, so we are taking an Italian tour with Tauck this year
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 05:45 PM

I have taken quite a few Tauck tours in the past (but not to Europe), and would highly recommend these tours. They may have a few meals (especially lunches) which are set, due to time restrictions while traveling. However, it is usually freedom of choice, etc., and is really great. Also, all the hotels I have stayed in with Tauck were topnotch.

I am into independent traveling in Europe now (mostly France and England), but in the future I wouldn't hesitate to travel with Tauck - I probably will, when I get tired of making my own arrangements and lugging my own suitcase! And they have terrific tour guides.
Old Feb 28th, 2004, 07:29 PM

I have taken one Tauck tour in Europe and the "Choice Dining" was good. We sat whenever with whomever. I can't address the issue of whether we were shown the "regular" menu or a restricted menu because I didn't notice. But I didn't feel that the selections were "2nd rate". They run a (IMHO) a first class operation.
Whether you go with them or not, please go and have a wonderful time.