Reload this Page >

Taste of the French Alps

Search

Taste of the French Alps

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 04:51 PM
Pat Klontz

Taste of the French Alps

We are taking a two week trip to re-visit Paris a couple of days and then see Provence. As we train to Provence, we would like to spend a couple of nights somewhere in the Alps since we have not been in that area before. Typically I would rather spend a couple of nights in one place rather than pack up and go two places. We can't decide among Annency, Geneve, Lausanne, and Aix-les-Bains. Give me suggestions both for choosing a city itself and for train access from Paris and then on to Provence. Thanks. Pat Klontz

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:24 AM
Rex

I wish I could write a more experienced answer, since your question has been orphaned; I have only been to Geneva (stayed out in the countryside on two separate occasions there) and tyo Annecy (day trip, stayed in Talloires). But I will volunteer the opinion that Geneva is over-priced and surely an inferior choice to lovely Annecy.<BR><BR>Hope you get some more answers.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
Pierre

Since you are continuing to Provence, I would definitely stay in Annecy. It's a beautiful town in a gorgeous setting.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:49 AM
Wayne

Pat--<BR>I have been to Annecy several times and enjoyed it; it's like Venice with mountains, only very French and at times very touristy. It's a lovely place to visit, for sure. But if I were really going to say I have been in the French Alps, I'd suggest you try to go to Chamonix, Albertville, Megeve, or one of the other Haute Savoie villages for a real Alpine flavor. Have a good trip.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:57 AM
mj

Pat,<BR>I second Wayne's suggestion for the Haute Savoie i.e. Megeve or Chamonix, however, Megeve is small w/no train access, Chamonix and Annecy can be reached from Paris. <BR><BR>Unfortunately, if you want a _real_ (read small town) French Alps visit, you'll need a car - or will have to take a bus for part of the journey.

Old Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:25 PM
Frank

My family's favorite place on the planet is the Hotel l'Aiguille du Midi in Les Bossons just outside Chamonix. Stare up at Mont Blanc, eat wonderful food. It's run by Madame Farini, one of the world's most gracious people. It's two blocks away from the Les Bossons train station. www.hotel-aiguilledumidi.com<BR>Lots of great restaurants and sporty things to do in Chamonix. <BR>Train access is fairly easy, the TGV goes to Annecy and then a couple of shorter trains. Heading south is just a matter of getting back to Lyon and making the connection.<BR>