Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tarifa Questions/Andalucia Hotels (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tarifa-questions-andalucia-hotels-310933/)

mmichaels Apr 26th, 2003 08:16 AM

Tarifa Questions/Andalucia Hotels

Hello. We are traveling to Andalucia in 1 week's time and have just made one final adjustment, adding time at La Sacristia in Tarifa. Does anyone know this relatively new hotel? It looks fabulous. Also, we are considering taking the hydrofoil/ferry to Tangiers for the day. I know the horror stories, believe you me, but we are pretty saavy travelers and are considering this with all our wits and street smarts intact. That said, is it possible for U.S. residents to travel to Tangiers from Tarifa? I have read that only EU residents may do so, and that others have to take the (far slower) Algeciras-Tangiers ferry. Any updates on this?

Also, hotels that we will be staying in include the HH Campomanes in Madrid, EnFrente Arte in Ronda, Hostal Lineros 38 in Cordoba, La Sacristia in Tarifa, and the AC Santa Paula Palacio (not sure I have rendered this correctly) in Granada. Will report back on those for other Fodorites when we return.

nep Apr 26th, 2003 09:10 AM

Hi,
Was in Tarifa last May, but do not know the hotel you are staying at.

You are correct about the Tarifa-Tangiers route. US citizens can not travel that route. You will have to travel the 30 mintues by bus back to Algeciras to take the ferry which takes about 2 hours. The only reason I wouldn't recommend going for the day is that you aren't really seeing the real Morocco. If you do go, get some mint tea!

mmichaels Apr 26th, 2003 11:39 AM

Thank you for confirming that about the Tarifa-Tangiers route. I think that you are right--we will save Morocco for a proper trip to the more desirable locales!

parisgrl Apr 26th, 2003 12:35 PM

Funny that you should mention Hostal Lineros 38 in Cordoba. I am planning a trip to andalusia next week and had reserved a room with them for 2 nights through Europeanhostels.com. About a week ago they emailed my saying "jajaja, we seem to have booked you in a nonexistant room. Please call and cancel your reservations."
I ended up having to pay about 90 Euros a night for a room in Melia Alfaros in Cordoba. I thought that was a little unprofessional of them, not to mention they acted like it was funny. I didnt think it was funny....

Maira Apr 26th, 2003 01:10 PM

mm, your trip intrigues me. First, your selecton of hotels is made of establishments I have hardly ever seen mentioned in this forum, which I think is great. They do sound fabulous. Looking forward to your trip report!

Secondly, you have me wondering about your itinerary. Madrid-Ronda- Cordova - Tarifa - Granada. A bit too much jumping around when it would probably be more time effective to select a max of two home bases in Andalucia and day trip from there, i.e. Malaga (day trip to Granada, Ronda, Tarifa (if you most...)), and Seville (day trip to Cordova).

I have to agree with nep on daytripping to Tangiers; if your time in Andalucia is limited, by all means use that day to visit some of Southern Spain's White Towns up in the mountains, or beautiful seaside villages. Tangiers will give you a headache.

If in the Tarifa area, try to get to the Roman Ruins of Baelo Claudio, an ancient roman town by the ocean destroyed by an earthquake; impressive sight, temples and all. I have never seen this site in a guidebook and yet, it was one of the highlights on my first trip to Andalucia.

While I may have done it a bit different, your trip sounds glorious. Have a great time in Spain!!

mmichaels Apr 26th, 2003 04:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Parisgrl---very intrigued by your tale--I also booked through Europeanhostels.com and got a very similar bizarre e-mail about a week ago. I couldn't tell if it came from them or was some strange spam as the sender was jajajajjajjja <[email protected]>. I e-mailed Lineros 38 directly [email protected] and received a (terse) e-mail back saying "yes, you have a confirmed reservation for 7 and 8 may." So I left it at that. You said that they acted like it was funny--I take it you contacted them and your reservation had indeed been cancelled. Any more info? Yikes--I wonder if I should be worried/make alternate reservations??

Maira--thanks for your input as well. We actually have quite a bit of time (about 18 days total) and have been to Andalucia before so are skipping some places this go-around. After a couple days in Madrid for the Prado, et al, will take the AVE to Cordoba for 2 nights; then pick up rental car and drive to Ronda for 3 nights (day trips to Arcos, Zahara, perhaps a day hike, etc.); then to Tarifa for 4 nights (Vejer de la Frontera, Baelo Claudio, Costa de la Luz, perhaps Cadiz if so inclined); then to Granada for 3 nights, dropping off rental car at airport on the way in, for my favorite place in the world, the Alhambra and Generalife. So since we have a fair bit of time and a rental car (and have driven in Spain and Portugal) we hope we'll be fine. I admit that Tarifa did not appeal to me until I saw this the hotel, La Sacristia, mentioned in Conde Nast Traveller and UK's Guardian travel section. Check it out at sacristia.net, and I will give a report back upon my return!

lweber Apr 28th, 2003 05:31 PM

You will be pleased with the Alfaros. a classy place.