Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Tapas for the picky eater? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/tapas-for-the-picky-eater-685071/)

missypie Mar 5th, 2007 07:10 AM

Tapas for the picky eater?

One of my three children - DD14 - is a very picky eater. Doesn't like seafood, doesn't like veggies. I've told her that while in Barcelona, the rest of us are going to be in food heaven and she's going to be living on power bars.

Is there anything on a typical tapas menu that a picky eater would like? Can we just get plain ham or plain goat cheese?

lmlweb Mar 5th, 2007 07:13 AM

A tapas is a great way to try something - if she doesn't like it, no worries, someone else will eat it.

Does she like potatoes? Patatas bravas are great. Cold cuts and cheese platter might be good if available.

kenderina Mar 5th, 2007 07:18 AM

Don't worry, missypie :) She would find lots of things to eat, many kids here don't like veggies or fish...
She will not need the power bars, sure :))

scrb Mar 5th, 2007 07:35 AM

Some places have menus with pictures but usually they explain what it is.

For instance, there is one with beef tripe.

There must be some guide books somewhere which list some vegetarian options in Spain.

mr_go Mar 5th, 2007 07:45 AM

Wow, that sounds identical to our DD...also 14. Especially concerning the seafood.

We had considerable difficulty at times. Ham is your best bet, if she likes it. And beef skewers.

We found a vegetarian tapas place in Madrid that did a really tasty noodle dish, which she ordered twice.

soccr Mar 5th, 2007 07:57 AM

Have traveled with a Miss Picky. By the end of the trip, she eventually realized being picky wasn't something to be proud of, especially when she looked around and saw that everyone else was trying things out and/or really enjoying themselves.

It probably helped that her brother made a point of saying "oh, no, Trudi can't have THAT -- Trudi, you can just have a grilled cheese" in a very big-brother-to baby-sister voice! Instead of trying to talk her into anything, just ignore or condescend and indulge until she's sick of being treated like a child instead of a grown-up. Whatever you do, DON'T choose restaurants based on what she won't eat.

Fourteen is the perfect age to be a p.i.t.a. AND be really sensitive to what others think.

missypie Mar 5th, 2007 08:30 AM

Tripe, scrb? That would be a tough sell..."honey, it's not seafood, and it's not a vegatable...."

Might we find risotto on some menus?

No, we don't choose restaurants based on her, but when all three kids rebel, we do pay attention.

A couple of years ago, we were able to have lunch on my birthday right by the clock at the Musee D'Orsay. While her big brother was loving his first cassoulet, she ate bread. Her loss!

hanl Mar 5th, 2007 08:37 AM

I think that tapas are the perfect food for picky eaters - loads to choose from, just pick and eat what you fancy and ignore what you don't like! And it's easy to try new things without having to order/eat a whole plateful.
There are always simple options like ham (or chorizo or lomo), manchego cheese, patatas bravas with aioli or tomato sauce, Spanish omelette (tortilla de patatas), tuna salad, croquettes (usually ham and/or chicken), etc.

traveller1959 Mar 5th, 2007 08:43 AM

There are two ways to eat tapas.

The first - and original way - is to got to the bar where the tapas are on display and choose them. Your kid can take what she likes.

The other way is ordering a tapas menu - usually a mixture of meat, seafood and vegetables. The selection will be broad enough to find something.