Taormina: Too hot in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some help. We're planning on going to Taormina in late August. I am not really in favor of it as I think it'll be too hot and theres not much to do in august as all Italians seem to go off on their summer break and everything closes down. Plus we're not really beach people. So any advice??? Thanks, much appreciated!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 03:00 PM

"Any advice???"

Your post gave 4 reasons why you don't want to go without 1 reason why you do yet you say you are planning on going...why would you plan a trip to a location that you obviously do not want to go to?

What kind of advice are you looking for?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Wild horses could not drag me to Taormina in August. That said, Taormina is not exactly a beach town. It is high up on a hill above the water. If my favorite person in the world asked me please to go to Taormina in August, I would suggest what we get a place with a swimming pool, a private terrace and air conditioning.

In fact, I would suggest we go to the town right *above* Taormina, which is called Castelmora. It has 1/8 of the tourists, and you get to look at the night lights of Taormina, plus all the same pretty daytime views of the sea and Mount Etna.

http://www.castelmola.com/

http://www.bestofsicily.com/mag/art122.htm

http://www.galenfrysinger.com/castle...ina_sicily.htm

If you go to the Slow Travel webiste and look for hotel reviews for Sicily, I think you will find some reviews for hotels in Castelmola.

But make you sure you get that air conditioning, pool and terrace. And don't be afraid to spring for a taxi to take you back up the hill when it's hot.

(Also consider renting a car for part of the time to take day trips to Etna or other places.)

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks nessundorma, will look into Castelmora. We will be driving down from Rome, so will already have a car.

Saps, you're right I have absolutely no desire to go, but its my mothers birthday at the end of august, she's always wanted to go, so my father wants to take her, and by extension me along! So my not 'wanting' to go is not a good enough reason, I need solid facts such as it is too hot, or everything will be closed, or there is nothing to do there in august!!
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:07 AM

It's not going to be all that much hotter than Rome.

Are you going to anyplace else in between Rome and Sicily? If not, I would fly to Catania from Rome and rent a new car there.

Also, you don't say the age of your parents, but be aware that Taormina is steep and hilly and filled with staircases, and Castelmora even more so.