Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taormina, Letojanni, or Giardini-Naxos?

NB moved from another thread

Author: LB2409
Date: 10/02/2004, 08:45 pm

Message: Hello. I will be making my first trip to Sicily next week, and I have a choice of hotels -- each in a different city. I would like help deciding which would be better. I will be there for one week, and don't expect to see everything.

The first hotel is in Taormina -- the Splendid Hotel. It has a pool. The other is in Letojanni -- the Peppe Hotel. No pool, but it is on the beach.

The third option is staying in Giardini Naxos at an unnamed 2-star hotel. I would prefer to know in advance however, where I would be staying.

How far is it from Taormina to Letojanni? Would we be better off in Taormina? Is there convenient transport between these places?

As we will be there for a week, should we hire a car and do a day trip, or just stay in the area?

All recommendations greatly appreciated! I can't wait to go!
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 03:16 PM

Giardini is at sea level. Taormina is almost to top of hill. Buses run to Taormina about every 30 minutes from Giardini. You can also take taxi from Giardini to Taormina. There is also the cable car goes from Taormina to beach. Taormina is more crowded than either Letojanni or Taormina. There are orgnized bus tours to other parts of the island from Taormina but I am not sure if they are in Italian or English. I lived there so I didn't use public transportation and when we have gone back for visits we just rented a car.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

We have decided to stay in Letojanni as the hotel was on the beach, and the agent said no one has ever had anything negative to say about it.

I'll report back on our experiences, and thank everyone again for their suggestions and guidance.